Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Covers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Started by DrGreggles, May 29, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Two Gooduns!

R B Greaves | Paperback Writer

The Vibrations | And I love Her

studpuppet

Franny Joyce

A good one I think, the lack of respect is admirable. Does anyone know a strange version of help sung in French? I've been trying to find it again for ages. I think I heard it on some kind of outsider music website but haven't been able to find it since.

Tikwid

It's rare to find a Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins comparison where Phil comes out on top for once, but he has a powerful vocal turn on this mostly straightfoward Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End cover, produced by George Martin himself no less. By comparison 70s Pete's orchestral take on Strawberry Fields Forever is what I can only describe as a duet with Kermit the Frog

Sherman Krank

Louis C.K. used to do a bangin' version of A Day In The Life before all that wank beast stuff.

Always prefered Elliott Smith's version of Because to the original.

Bernice

A pre-glam Slade with a cover of Martha my Dear

Auntie Beryl

For some people born in the early-mid 70s, Starsound's 1981 #2 hit Stars On 45 may have been their first introduction to The Beatles, at a time when their critical stock was at an all time low. Jive Beatles And The Mastershitters.

I'll clear the palette with Esther Phillips's smashing take on And I Love Her:

Pauline Walnuts

If you're talking about actual physical covers, there is this:

Deliciousbass

I really like this cover (starts proper at 1.40)

Pauline Walnuts

Sure you really sure you want to put that on your album guys?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

studpuppet

studpuppet

By the way I checked three times to make sure this hadn't appeared yet. I'm not sure anyone who's ever heard the original would manage to get past the first ten seconds.

Replies From View

Quote from: Franny Joyce on May 29, 2022, 11:16:34 PM

A good one I think, the lack of respect is admirable.

Came here to post this one.

Kankurette

Tori, hun, I love you but this is one of the shittest covers you've ever done. She missed half the bloody lyrics out too. It is a hard song to pull off, but the Breeders at least did a good job of it.

On the plus side, here's Prince and friends.

Also, thanks to whoever posted that Caetano Veloso cover of Eleanor Rigby. It's lovely (and there's nothing wrong with bossa nova!)

Replies From View

I had a dream once that those Weetabix characters were singing Julia.  It was quite nice.

Greg Torso

This is brilliant.

Drunk John Lennon - I Wanna Hold Your Gland

Greg Torso

and just to continue the glandular theme

The Glands Of External Secretion

Kankurette

Quote from: Greg Torso on May 30, 2022, 10:11:06 PMThis is brilliant.

Drunk John Lennon - I Wanna Hold Your Gland

I think I may have pulled something laughing.

Replies From View

This is horrible - the very definition of smug:

The way he's monkeying around in the booth while George Martin politely pretends to be amused.  Have some respect you self-regarding show-off.  Eurgh.

Replies From View

On the same album as the above:

Robin Williams self-consciously whispering 'hit me' there in place of Lennon's 'shoot me'.