Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Covers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Started by DrGreggles, May 29, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on May 30, 2022, 10:02:07 PMOn the plus side, here's Prince and friends.

Fuck yeah. I'll never get remotely bored of watching that. I miss that wee fucker.

Also big up 'I Wanna Hold Your Gland'. Incredible.

jobotic

Can't find Her Majesty by Zip Code Rapists on YouTube but it's good.

Replies From View

Not quite on the same topic, but I may as well put this in.

Shreds, they call them.  I was looking for a different, very specific one that seems to have disappeared from youtube, but the above is still funny.

Replies From View

Replies From View

The specific one I was looking for was by someone called StSanders - his Queen shred and a few others have remained on youtube but it looks like his Beatles one was taken down.  A great shame as it was a cut above.

Edit:  still available to see here:  http://stsanders.com/web/beatles/

Kankurette

Are any actors' Beatles covers worse than the Shat doing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

Replies From View

Quote from: Kankurette on May 31, 2022, 12:10:24 AMAre any actors' Beatles covers worse than the Shat doing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

Your mileage may vary, of course. 

SWEET CHAROONY.  It gets especially awful in the second half with the coquettish giggles and other horrible improvised noises becoming unbearable.  FEEEL OKEYDOKEY

Replies From View

Here's the whole documentary accompanying that George Martin album:

jobotic

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Replies From View on May 30, 2022, 11:52:54 PMThe specific one I was looking for was by someone called StSanders - his Queen shred and a few others have remained on youtube but it looks like his Beatles one was taken down.  A great shame as it was a cut above.

Edit:  still available to see here:  http://stsanders.com/web/beatles/
The KISS one is fantastic.
http://stsanders.com/web/piss-chunky-pee/

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Kankurette on May 30, 2022, 10:02:07 PMOn the plus side, here's Prince and friends.

Definitely owes something to Todd Rundgren's guitar soloing in his version on the George Harrison tribute album the year before

bloom

Not entirely sure which category this belongs in. Could be Mandela Effect but I have a feeling, peculiarly, that it was on the soundtrack of something relatively recently?

famethrowa

Quote from: bloom on May 31, 2022, 02:52:42 AM

Not entirely sure which category this belongs in. Could be Mandela Effect but I have a feeling, peculiarly, that it was on the soundtrack of something relatively recently?

It's good. A real heavy freakout for Australia in 1970! I had the pleasure of playing it many times with the original singer, who unfortunately died a few years back. Never got to meet Rick Springfield though

famethrowa

Quote from: Kankurette on May 31, 2022, 12:10:24 AMAre any actors' Beatles covers worse than the Shat doing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

I had to read that again, I thought there might be a Northern band called The Shat. Not a bad band name for these days, maybe?

gilbertharding

SteveDave

Doris Troy "Get Back" (produced by George Harrison)

"Shut up Al Green" "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Chumbawamba "Her Majesty" This is only let down by the bad drums. Apt for this week though.

Adrian Baker (as featured on Euros Childs "Vinyl Justice" segment) "I Feel Fine"

Five Stairsteps "Dear Prudence"

Gene Chandler "Eleanor Rigby"

And as a bonus

Lou Reeds honks up "Jealous Guy"
"I! I! AAAAIIII WUZZ A-SHIVERIN' INSIDE!"

Kankurette

Quote from: non capisco on May 30, 2022, 10:58:02 PMFuck yeah. I'll never get remotely bored of watching that. I miss that wee fucker.

Also big up 'I Wanna Hold Your Gland'. Incredible.
I wonder how many people watch that video just to see Prince going mental. Dhani Harrison is clearly loving it. (Which one is Steve Winwood?)

Lordofthefiles

gilbertharding

Quote from: Kankurette on May 31, 2022, 10:23:24 AMI wonder how many people watch that video just to see Prince going mental. Dhani Harrison is clearly loving it. (Which one is Steve Winwood?)

How many comments from utter guffers complaining about Prince upstaging everyone?

studpuppet

studpuppet

holyzombiejesus

I genuinely enjoy listening to this. It makes me really happy.

Ant Farm Keyboard

A rather famous one. Wilson Pickett, recorded at Muscle Shoals, featuring Duane Allman (pre-ABB) on guitar. The last 80 seconds, with the guitar licks and Picket shouting, are incendiary. There's also a live version on YouTube featuring the Bee Gees.

Does it really qualify if one of the Beatles play on the recording?

There's a terrific selection of bad Beatles cover on the Golden Throats series released by Rhino in the eighties and nineties. It focused on lounge singers and actors, trying their hands at rock n' roll and country, and there was even an entire volume devoted to Beatles covers, "Celebrity Butcher the Beatles", featuring this gem from a guy mostly known in 1968 for being a Four Seasons associate.

And a Lennon/Beatles medley from someone who was more skilled with a revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Throats

Brundle-Fly

What da fuck! Hey, what am I, you schumck! Chopped liver? I posted the Joe Pesci link already!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Three covers situated firmly in the 'good' camp.

Wee Willie Walker - Ticket to Ride

Junior Parker - Taxman

Lowell Fulson - Why Don't We Do It in the Road?

Brundle-Fly

I think Bill's L.S.D is unironically a great cover, personally.

But since you asked... They should've given Cosby an extra five years for this abomination.

Mr_Simnock

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 31, 2022, 02:16:11 PM
Does it really qualify if one of the Beatles play on the recording?
I've got quite a lot of time for Neil Young, which is as well, given how long it takes him to bring a song to an end. Put it down now, Neil, you'll break it.