Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The style of comedy Stewart Lee does where he pulls you along constantly teasing

Started by willbo, May 29, 2022, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 02, 2022, 11:22:21 AMSomeone made a mash up

I do like Gordon's eggs but I'll try Marco's too to see who's the best chef ever and who's a fucking idiot

Marco also believes the best way to do bacon is in a microwave, I can't tell if he's just full of shit or trolling.

retsuza

In one of the Knorr ads I mentioned earlier he says he never puts oil in the pasta water because he had an Italian mother.

In a different one he says he DOES put oil in the pasta water for the same reason.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: thenoise on June 02, 2022, 11:12:03 AMGordy's evil nemesis Marco did a video clearly intended as a rival to this where he says taking it on and off the heat is stupid and "only a fool would rush scrambled eggs", referencing Gordon's uptight presentation  style.

Its definitely Macro's that I remember, not Gordon's. I'm not a scrambled egg lover but I remember being appalled at the way that toast seems to actively repel the eggs which reliquify immediately

willbo

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 02, 2022, 12:53:21 PMNo disrespect to Ted Chippington who I know nothing about, but that clip was awful and Stewart Lee is a 14 year old hipster in a 40 something fat blokes body. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't find him funny, but just pretends to for the sense of superiority

I'm not sure he finds him funny, or just admires his confrontational lack of humour.  I think he basically considers him a father figure almost.

Martin Van Buren Stan

I think this, On the Evils of Tobacco by one of the Chekhov brothers (not sure which one, it just says A Chekhov) counts. As far as I recall it's a man who's supposed to give a lecture on the evils of tobacco but he spends most of it complaining about his wife, his notes being in the wrong order etc and barely mentions the fags

https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/45/6/1738/2622853

Just found out Coogan played the lecturer in a video adaptation. Might check it out

Menu

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 02, 2022, 12:53:21 PMNo disrespect to Ted Chippington who I know nothing about, but that clip was awful and Stewart Lee is a 14 year old hipster in a 40 something fat blokes body. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't find him funny, but just pretends to for the sense of superiority and bullying rights over anyone less intelligent and well educated tham him

That was definitely the character he played in L&H so there's probably more than a little truth to it.

retsuza

Quote from: 15Tawain on June 03, 2022, 12:06:34 AMSurely everyone knows the phrase is a shaggy dog story

I was thinking of this as well and wondering if someone would bring it up.

There's an amazing joke you can tell about ping pong balls that just falls flat at the end after a laborious setup. Painful.

Also, Tim Allen transformed into a shaggy dog one time and I don't mean his history with cocaine trafficking! Saw that in the cinema for a birthday.

Enzo

neveragain

Works as quite a good short story written down. Would of course be interminable recited by someone in a pub.

Twilkes

Is a disappointing punchline requisite for something to be a shaggy dog story? I've always liked this one, although the shagginess of the dog in it is never mentioned:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhs0pr

Cold Meat Platter

Twonty Gostelow

Shaggy dog story versus smuggy cunt story.

At least look a little ashamed after the first one, like the dog who just ate your dinner while you were on the phone. For the second one look into the camera that's behind you, not in front of you as you'd expect, aaah.