Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

From The Oasthouse with Alan Partridge - Series 2

Started by Snrub, May 31, 2022, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Mobius on June 09, 2022, 09:48:50 PMSome of the stuff Partridge says in episode 10 of Oasthouse, where he's building a time capsule and rooting around his attic, talking about his grandkids, are genuinely quite sad and make you feel sorry for him :(

Yeah, I properly welled up at the end when they turn up at his house. Partly because you can hear in his voice how much it meant to him, partly because you know he'll inevitably fuck it up somehow.

McDead

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2022, 10:10:55 AMYeah, I properly welled up at the end when they turn up at his house. Partly because you can hear in his voice how much it meant to him, partly because you know he'll inevitably fuck it up somehow.

When you hear little Jack shout "A-Ha!" up at his trapped grandad, I mist up a little, I don't mind saying.

Another weird thing in the Gibbons era - Kennedy assassination naming. Alan's grandkids are called Jack and Ruby, the shifty impresario in Nomad is called Harvey Kennedy. That's all, I think, but it's another weird thing.

QDRPHNC

I love how Alan immediately gets irritated by Jack not listening.

notjosh

Been relistening to Oasthouse the last few nights and thought I'd break it up last night with Knowing Knowing Me, Knowing You to see how jarring it would feel to be listening to 90s Alan.

Surprisingly, not at all. Bearing in mind that the only Alan we've encountered before that is On the Hour and radio KMKY where the character is much broader, it's astonishing how quickly they establish an off-air persona for Alan that has basically persisted to this day. I'm not sure how much the Gibbons were influenced by it, but the relationship he has with his writer feels very Sidekick Simon and the little glimpses we have of his home life definitely have the vibe of Oasthouse.

If anything, I think I'm Alan Partridge (both series) is starting to look like the outlier in the canon. I might be overly influenced by the weird prematurely aged make-up, but I can't draw a line from that Alan to current Alan as easily as I can from KMKY.

Ferris

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 10, 2022, 01:38:57 AMFor those people asking about when Carol was born, it was 1943.  You're welcome.

+7/-0 karm for this message

Oh interesting! I didn't know that, pleased it's been posted in here for the record.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 10, 2022, 01:38:59 PMI love how Alan immediately gets irritated by Jack not listening.

I hear Alan whenever I tell my son he needs to listen so that I can help him.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: notjosh on June 10, 2022, 01:41:54 PMIf anything, I think I'm Alan Partridge (both series) is starting to look like the outlier in the canon. I might be overly influenced by the weird prematurely aged make-up, but I can't draw a line from that Alan to current Alan as easily as I can from KMKY.

In terms of presentation, certainly. But the AP of IAP1 is definitely the Alan we have now, to my mind at least. The IAP2 version, not so much.

I think that's part of why I struggled with This Time, too often it seemed to veer into that "anything for a laugh" absurdity of IAP2.

Menu

Quote from: Ferris on June 10, 2022, 01:42:12 PMOh interesting! I didn't know that, pleased it's been posted in here for the record.

YOU GUYS!!

Menu

Quote from: Ferris on June 10, 2022, 01:43:40 PMI hear Alan whenever I tell my son he needs to listen so that I can help him.

I hear Alan whenever I interact with anyone at any moment. It's fucking crippling.

Mobius

I'm just watching Anglian Lives and Alan says he collects celebrity memorabilia and even pulls out a dashboard of some yank celeb's car

This hobby/collection is never mentioned in either of the books or any other Partridge related stuff.

McDead

Quote from: Mobius on June 14, 2022, 12:20:10 PMI'm just watching Anglian Lives and Alan says he collects celebrity memorabilia and even pulls out a dashboard of some yank celeb's car

This hobby/collection is never mentioned in either of the books or any other Partridge related stuff.

It's the dashboard from a jaguar XJ6, as driven by Edward Woodward in The Equalizer.

I think we can assume that this quirk - like his addiction to Toblerone, driving to Dundee etc - is a symptom of his then troubled mental state, and didn't persist beyond that phase. He hardly ever refers to his book "Bouncing Back" these days either.

Ferris

See also: acquiring the rights to K-9.

(Ironically probably a very lucrative move given the Doctor Who reboot was only a few years later.)

I've only just found these and think they're fantastic. I love how Alan has to "pretend" to be subservient to his dog, acknowledging him as the alpha male of the household. The panic when he realises he's forgotten to put on Seldom's pan of sixteen eggs ("he likes them hard boiled with plenty of salt").

Martin Van Buren Stan

Love seldom. Genui almost cried when he died.

badaids

Just done a relisten to these on YouTube. They are fantastic - his command on Alan's voice on stuff like when he says 'from the *oasthouse*' is incredible.

However, I find myself riled by Alan's relative success. I was genuinely and gravely annoyed when Alan finally got to meet his grandkids. From both a narrative and comedic aspect.

It would have been both far funnier and more Alan if he had forced himself to pretend the kids were his grandkids. There would have been far more potential there.

But I'm a miserable sod and do find it hard to accept that Alan can have any real happiness in his life, outside his petty victories.

Lost Oliver

how easy is it to download to sign up, use a token to buy it, and then download it from audible and convert the fucker so i can listen to it anywhere?

Ferris

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 18, 2022, 04:15:07 PMhow easy is it to download to sign up, use a token to buy it, and then download it from audible and convert the fucker so i can listen to it anywhere?

Incredibly easy. It's the future.

Utter Shit

This should be out soon, but I've seen almost nothing about it...anyone heard anything?

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 31, 2022, 10:03:41 AMThis should be out soon, but I've seen almost nothing about it...anyone heard anything?

I checked on Audible and it say's September 22nd - only 3 hours and 40 this time.

He means minutes.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 31, 2022, 10:03:41 AMThis should be out soon, but I've seen almost nothing about it...anyone heard anything?

Just the pre-order placeholder on the Amazon/Audibe site. Run time is about 3 and a half hours so alot shorter than last series but mustn't grumble. No sign of a preview episode like we got last time though.

I'm looking forward to it. I think FTOA is top tier Alan.

Proactive

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 18, 2022, 04:15:07 PMhow easy is it to download to sign up, use a token to buy it, and then download it from audible and convert the fucker so i can listen to it anywhere?

There's no need to convert it, the file will be available to you in your Audible account/player even after you stop subscribing.

Shaky

If you wanted to be able to listen to it on any media player, Inaudible is a good program to convert to mp3 etc.

TrenterPercenter

Just a big thanks to the OP as I completely missed this and I'm absolutely loving listening through the first series now!

Proactive

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 01, 2022, 02:37:46 PMJust a big thanks to the OP as I completely missed this and I'm absolutely loving listening through the first series now!
It's an absolute treat, I've listened to it at least 4 times.

TrenterPercenter

Utter Shit

Does anyone remember where in the first Oasthouse he responds to an imagined question with "I ain't gonna tell you, biy"?

Spang!

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 01, 2022, 07:47:00 PMDoes anyone remember where in the first Oasthouse he responds to an imagined question with "I ain't gonna tell you, biy"?

Sorry, the file names of the version I have are all messed up, but it's from the episode that starts with the phone call to the police about being attacked with a toffee hammer. The quote you mention comes at around 2:10.

Edit: I think it might be the first episode

mr. logic

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 01, 2022, 07:47:00 PMDoes anyone remember where in the first Oasthouse he responds to an imagined question with "I ain't gonna tell you, biy"?

Haha, that's when he being asked about swimming breaststroke isn't it?

McDead

Quote from: mr. logic on September 01, 2022, 10:18:14 PMHaha, that's when he being asked about swimming breaststroke isn't it?

Throwing underarm iirc

jobotic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 01, 2022, 06:20:05 PMhttps://youtu.be/V0y8Ng1yYKc?t=957

This whole last section of ep5 has just had me in stitches!

Totally agree. Iove that Bernard Matthews bit.

It's boodivull