Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

From The Oasthouse with Alan Partridge - Series 2

Started by Snrub, May 31, 2022, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: mrfridge on September 22, 2022, 11:04:16 AM8.    Be nice. As my mum used to say, it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice. FYI, she was neither.

That whole thing is great, but this is perfect.

Captain Z

I binned my Amazon account 18 months ago, but didn't appreciate that it would render Audible unusable. Thought I could get around it by copying the raw data files across to a new account but no, it links them to the account they were downloaded under and they were not playable. The Partridge stuff has been easy to find, but I lost my Limmy audiobooks and a couple of other bits and bobs.

I know I could probably get this by signing up and getting a free trial, but I feel too smug about not supporting Amazon these days. Will be keeping an eye out for an mp3 in the wild.

Ferris

Used up all my free credits so I've signed up for a month, downloaded this, then canceled. Cost me ~10 quid and I thought "well I'd pay 10 quid for this" so didn't bother trying to get it for free.

A lazy man.

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 22, 2022, 12:40:16 PMThat whole thing is great, but this is perfect.

It's a recycled line from one of the autobiographies, annoyingly enough.

beanheadmcginty

I just discovered a top tip for potential freeloaders - My Audible.co.uk account had no free trial credit because I'd already used it earlier this year. So I just signed out of the app and then signed back in, but into Audible.com rather than Audible.co.uk (it gives you the option in the sign in screen). This took me to the US version of the site where I was happily offered another free trial credit, even though I was signing in with identical Amazon credentials. So it seems the various countries' Audible sites don't talk to each other. In your face Bezos.
I am in the Netherlands though, so I don't know whether this will work in the UK but worth a try.
Regardless, I've got my Partridge now, that's my day sorted.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ferris on September 22, 2022, 12:55:16 PMIt's a recycled line from one of the autobiographies, annoyingly enough.

Hah, I did think I'd heard something similar before. His relationship with his parents is one of the many, many areas of Partridge that is hinted at with just enough detail to make you understand the character infinitely better, without delving too far.

That little curio Inheritance Tracks was a few minutes of Alan mainly talking about his parents, I suspect a lot of people may have missed it so it's here if you want to listen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10lWm5Ky4nyOzmkyMtXZaEfWUgRvgnX2O/view?usp=sharing

Proactive

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 22, 2022, 09:05:07 AMHow did you get 3 months for a quid? I restarted my account to get this, then immediately cancelled...they offered me 3 months for £4 per month, but not 3 months for £1.

No idea mate, the offer just arrived in my inbox one day. I've been a long term on and off user, probably as far back as Audible has been going, so I guess I just fit a certain profile?

Proactive

It's pretty fascinating to try and suss their motives/model. I reckon they know with a decent level of certainty that a particularl number of lapsed customers will only ever say yes to a £1 for 3 months deal, and if there are let's say a million such users worldwide, they'd rather have that million quid than nothing at all, and they also know that X% of those million people will influence friends to subscribe, some of which will just sign up in perpetuity at full whack.

sevendaughters

their model is your data, the audiobook thing is a figleaf, it gets the Bs and C1s in Amazon's spreadsheets

Proactive

My sweet, sweet data. You've got to admire the fuckers really haven't you.

contino

Quote from: veletision on September 22, 2022, 11:53:47 AMI got it on Audible but I can't convert the file to mp3 like I did before.

Bit of a pain. Want to listen to it on my usual app

From what I remember its just a case of manually renaming the file you downloaded from .AAX to .mp3 by changing the file extension. Or there is a program you can download called 'AAX Audio Converter' that should help.

turnstyle

One episode down, yep this is great stuff. Already loads of great lines.

Thanks Alan.

Thalan.

Dimbleby

I think this format may be Partridge at his best. Which is an actually wild thing to say 30 years on from his first outing.

QDRPHNC

Happy to buy it on Audible to support AP, but can someone point the way towards MP3s when they surface? Hate hate hate being forced to listen to something through an app, even if it's "downloaded".

billiabus cricketeer

I absolutely loved the first series of Oasthouse. I listened to the first two episodes on my way back from work today and I've already laughed out loud much more than I did with the first.

The conceit is absolutely perfect, a beautiful insight into Alan and his warped psyche.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 22, 2022, 05:48:23 PMHappy to buy it on Audible to support AP, but can someone point the way towards MP3s when they surface? Hate hate hate being forced to listen to something through an app, even if it's "downloaded".

Seconded, happy to stump up but I don't listen through my phone or through a computer so...

kalowski

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 22, 2022, 12:40:16 PMThat whole thing is great, but this is perfect.
Reminds me of his "Sometimes I forgive but don't forget. Sometimes I forget but don't forgive, or don't forget or forgive but I never do both."

purlieu

I had no problem converting the aax to mp3 using inAudible. It even converted it to 11 separate episodes. If anyone's having trouble, maybe redownload the file again?

I popped it in my usual mp3 directory and looked back at my computer a few hours later to see that about 20 people had grabbed it from my Soulseek. Hadn't even realised I had the folder shared. So it's definitely circulating.

shoulders

QuotePenelope Troome, legal executive at Wardle Wardle & Wardell;

I laughed.

TheQueensboroBridge

For the first time I think ever I've actually just gone ahead and paid up for the one month's membership at 7.99. I've been really lucky with Audible that  I've always had free trials or tokens whenever something was available I really wanted so I can't begrudge a few quid for the amount of joy I've got from the Partridge audio books alone, not even mentioning the Bob Mortimer stuff etc.

The amount of listening I've gotten out of the first series of FTO alone is ridiculous. I think it's some of the best Partridge. Perfect format. I'm hoping for a few more of the adverts, public announcements and little features from series 1 which were so good and much as I love it, just a little less of the theme tune. It's a glorious piece but it tends to be stuck in my head on a constant loop. Especially the rather plaintive '...with Alan Partridge' each version ends with.

Almost don't want to start the new series yet. Might try and ration it out to an episode an evening.

olliebean

Quote from: purlieu on September 22, 2022, 06:43:24 PMI had no problem converting the aax to mp3 using inAudible. It even converted it to 11 separate episodes. If anyone's having trouble, maybe redownload the file again?

I popped it in my usual mp3 directory and looked back at my computer a few hours later to see that about 20 people had grabbed it from my Soulseek. Hadn't even realised I had the folder shared. So it's definitely circulating.

Was just about to say, it's already on Soulseek!

Mobius

Proper laughed about 5 times in the first 2 fucking minutes. Yep, as strong as ever, cannot wait to listen to this about 20 times.

I signed up for a free trial and got two credits(you get an extra credit if you're an Amazon prime member), then immediately went to cancel and they offered me an extra credit to stay, which I used and then cancelled anyway.

Which was nice.

Dr Rock

Quote from: olliebean on September 22, 2022, 08:17:34 PMWas just about to say, it's already on Soulseek!

Where I got mine. btw I've just made my entire media folder sharable, which is full of great movies, comedy shows and specials... PM me for details. . Kopyright Liberation, wooh.

SteveDave

I was screaming laughing at him
Spoiler alert
singing Joy Division whilst stuck in a pothole this morning
[close]

AngryGazelle

Listened to the first four episodes and it's bloody brilliant; genuinely had to stifle laughs on the bus this morning.

Spoiler alert
selected ape
[close]

purlieu

Sticking to an episode a day. First one is superb. Obviously BBC gets a much bigger audience, but this is immediately a thousand times better than This Time. A joyous 23 minutes.