Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nate: a one-man show (Natalie Palamides)

Started by Mobbd, May 31, 2022, 06:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

This from the Adam Buxton Podcast thread:

Quote from: edwardfog on May 31, 2022, 09:39:35 AMPalamides episode was good though! Very surprised so many people have not even heard of her on a comedy board? Nate is a genuine landmark in clowning

Well it turns out that Nate is on Netflix. I've not watched it yet but I think edwardfrog is probably right that it's an important one for comedy fans to watch.

On the podcast, Natalie and Adam make it sound pretty confrontational, an avant-garde thing with gender exploration and clown chaos. No idea if it's been tempered for Netflix at all or if this is the whole real deal.

Anyone seen it yet? I'll say more what I've watched it myself.

bobloblaw

I saw it live in Edinburgh and it was terrific. Am slightly worried it will lose something on home viewing as a lot is dependent on the unsettling atmosphere she creates, but hope to be proved wrong.

edwardfog

Confrontational is one way to put it, although it's not really angry or belligerent. She creates a unique hall of mirrors atmosphere that distorts gender in quite shocking ways. I remember feeling hugely adrenalised leaving that show, almost shivering.

I haven't seen the Netflix version yet. I'm sure it's very worth seeing but it certainly wouldn't be the same without the nerve-jangling factor of being in the room and being part of the show.

Fascinatingly, her director Dr. Brown (a cis man) actually performed the show himself a couple of times, with Natalie at side of stage providing some live direction. Would have loved to have seen that and seen which parts escalate or decrease in intensity. I imagine the slap fight wouldn't have been quite as bracing

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 31, 2022, 09:45:57 PMI saw it live in Edinburgh and it was terrific. Am slightly worried it will lose something on home viewing as a lot is dependent on the unsettling atmosphere she creates, but hope to be proved wrong.

I saw it at the Soho Theatre but have the same concerns, which is why I've never watched the Netflix version. I really want to see her previous show, Laid, too, and it's on Amazon as part of the "Soho Theatre Live" series, but worry it might not be as good.

PlanktonSideburns

Thought that was excellent

No idea how it compares to the love experience, but with out having seen anything of her work before, thought it was outrageous and hilarious