Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TW: Oz sitcom star and convicted nonce to be deported to UK

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 02, 2022, 07:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAustralian sitcom actor Robert Hughes will be freed from jail and deported to the UK after serving a sentence for child sexual abuse.

Hughes found fame for his lead role in Australian TV show Hey Dad! which aired in more than 20 countries from 1987.

In 2014 he was convicted of a string of child sexual offences - which he denied - against girls in the 1980s and 1990s.

The 73-year-old was granted parole by Australian authorities on Thursday.

Having renounced his Australian citizenship, the British national will be deported to the UK, where he will live with his wife, upon his release from prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61669953

Apparently Hughes will be released from prison by the 14th June.

Fambo Number Mive

Never saw Hey Dad!, it sounds like it was really big in Australia but not that well known elsewhere. Is that true?

13 schoolyards

It was big but in a "this is shit but there's nothing else on because it's the early 90s" way - it was an extremely basic, middle of the road sitcom that ran for years despite never being remotely funny. It'd be completely forgotten by now if not for the "Dad" turning out to be a complete shit.

Supposedly it was also very popular in Germany, though at a guess the people responsible for the dubbing deserve all the credit there.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 02, 2022, 07:58:03 AMNever saw Hey Dad!, it sounds like it was really big in Australia but not that well known elsewhere.

A bit like Don Bradman

"I sentence you to a lifetime of horror... on Brexit Island."

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: curiousoranges on June 02, 2022, 08:55:23 AM"I sentence you to a lifetime of horror... on Brexit Island."

The sound of someone playing hotel California on a tuba fades in

The Bumlord

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 02, 2022, 09:11:41 AMThe sound of someone playing hotel California on a tuba fades in

I'm imagining this and enjoying it.

TheMonk

"Betty! I said get me moved out of here to a place in New England! In New South Wales! Dahhh!"

Captain Z

This is disgraceful, how would Australia like it if we used their country as a place just to dump our criminals?

JamesTC

Video Game Fan 2000

Sunflower oil, sorry mate can't do it. But I'll tell you what: we got some lovely nonces here and we won't mind if you have a few

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: BBC News on June 02, 2022, 07:55:41 AMHaving renounced his Australian citizenship, the British national will be deported to the UK, where he will live with his wife, upon his release from prison.

They're not deporting him, he's deported himself, Strewth, even a convicted pedo doesn't want to live in Australia

badaids

This makes the title 'Hey Dad!' a bit more sinister.

The Lurker

QuoteAfter sentencing, Hughes was sent to Goulburn Correctional Centre, where inmates doused him in human excreta (urine/feces) upon his arrival, despite his being in protective custody.[21] Prison officials constructed a wall of wire screening to deflect further attacks.

Blimey

Dr Rock