Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Gambrinus on June 21, 2022, 10:22:42 AMThey all seem obsessed to the point of insanity with Twitter as well. Worryingly so, considering there's not actually that many active users on there (I think, haven't fact checked this).

No, you're right. It's the social media with the third lowest users (436m as of Jan 2022) compared to Facebooks 2.9 billion.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/

20% of which are likely bots. (And that's just an estimate).

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/427931

Ferris

And I'll point out that "users" is very generous, considering the sites have been around for 15+ years and are probably all dormant.

I have 4 twitter accounts, each with fewer than 5 tweets and none active since 2013 (apart from the one I use for work, and despise using but don't have a choice). These are all included in the "user" stats.

I was forced to sign back up for facebook for my masters because it's what everyone uses to swap contact information. The site itself is an absolute ghost town for everyone under 35 (and maybe over).

I'd guess there are a tiny number of super users that generate a vast percentage of the traffic on social media, and there's enough that you don't notice it's the same handful of people. They involve media types who have convinced the rest of us this stuff is important, but I'd guess all of these 2nd generation social media sites are due a pretty seismic price correction and it'll happen in the next year or two.

Quote from: Ferris on June 21, 2022, 11:01:56 AMAnd I'll point out that "users" is very generous, considering the sites have been around for 15+ years and are probably all dormant.

JKR has 15m followers and really doesn't get much engagement unless she's terfin'

The tweet on the right is about children, charity and Ukraine and still only got 10%ish of the likes compared to the tweet about lesbians.

phantom_power

Is lesbians not dating trans women a hot topic or is it just an article about nothing used to drum up opposition to something that most people don't believe anyway?

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 21, 2022, 11:33:57 AMJKR has 15m followers and really doesn't get much engagement unless she's terfin'

The tweet on the right is about children, charity and Ukraine and still only got 10%ish of the likes compared to the tweet about lesbians.

Look, she's following the signals and knows what people are there for.

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2022, 07:51:30 AMThey talk in such odd ways as well, always repeating the same mantras. What sort of brainwashed loon would say "you are a traitor to your sex class"

Ha. In the past they'd have said gender, but now they can't.

thr0b

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 21, 2022, 08:51:39 AM(Edit: to be clear none of my cousins ever engaged in bestiality. We're good children.)

Prove it. You can't, can you?

Kankurette

isn't 'traitor to your sex' the kind of thing men said to Suffragettes? You know, the people these idiots like to compare themselves with?

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2022, 11:42:24 AMIs lesbians not dating trans women a hot topic or is it just an article about nothing used to drum up opposition to something that most people don't believe anyway?

It's a wedge issue for terfs. In reality some lesbians 'like' trans women and some don't. And there are no trans women demanding that they should, which is something else terfs lie about, ie 'the cotton ceiling'

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 21, 2022, 07:22:03 AMShe responded

In the first tweet she says that her cousin has already blocked her, so despite the repeated "dear cousin" in the next nine tweets, it's entirely a performance for her gaggle of clapping seal followers. Not at all mental.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ferris on June 21, 2022, 11:01:56 AMAnd I'll point out that "users" is very generous, considering the sites have been around for 15+ years and are probably all dormant.

I have 4 twitter accounts, each with fewer than 5 tweets and none active since 2013 (apart from the one I use for work, and despise using but don't have a choice). These are all included in the "user" stats.

I've had thee, at least. I can't use my own name as my handle because I've forgotten my login details.

It may be a bit of a problem because I'm sending a manuscript to agents and in the future I may need a social media presence. So I'm currently under "MrFirstNameLastName".

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: jobotic on June 21, 2022, 07:31:11 AMWhy do the far-right talk in that pompous way all the time?

People of Earth, hear me and hear me well. Your puny weapons are of no use against us.

Yeah it's nauseating sometimes wading through terfs' endless bombast. There are nearly no other parallels with them and suffragettes besides being women so they've got to make up for it somehow. Talking like they're in a film,  making a big speech before the climax.

While we're on that subject, something I saw again yesterday JK Rowling telling TERFs "Emmeline would be proud." Shes obviously let this all go to her head dishing out wise elder stuff like that.

However rich and famous she is what the hell authority does Jk Rowling have to say that? Yeah Emmeline would be so proud that her genuine struggle has been hijacked a century later to punch down and attack other women. Great stuff, everyone.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 21, 2022, 12:30:21 PMYeah Emmeline would be so proud that her genuine struggle has been hijacked a century later to punch down and attack other women. Great stuff, everyone.

tbf Emmeline did look down on working class women, and fell out with sister Sylvia who was much more concerned with the women at the bottom.

Not the same as how the terfs demonise the trans of course.

idunnosomename

Yeah Emmeline ran as a Tory and became very anti-communist after the war. Still.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 21, 2022, 12:30:21 PMWhile we're on that subject, something I saw again yesterday JK Rowling telling TERFs "Emmeline would be proud." Shes obviously let this all go to her head dishing out wise elder stuff like that.

However rich and famous she is what the hell authority does Jk Rowling have to say that? Yeah Emmeline would be so proud that her genuine struggle has been hijacked a century later to punch down and attack other women. Great stuff, everyone.

Yeah, I reckon they've picked the right Pankhurst to stan for their reactionary, bigoted movement tbqh

She probably would be impressed.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Well while trying to read more about them a while ago I either missed that or forgot about it and I'm crimson with embarrassment cheers for filling the gaps all. Point taken they appear to have picked the right one haha

markburgle

Quote from: Gambrinus on June 21, 2022, 10:22:42 AMThey all seem obsessed to the point of insanity with Twitter as well. Worryingly so, considering there's not actually that many active users on there (I think, haven't fact checked this).

It's partly the Trump effect - in one direction he made the platform seem like a much bigger deal than it was by blasting out 4 years of tweets the world had no choice but to regard as newsworthy, and in the other he probably drove a fair number of (especially younger) people away from it.

frajer

Quote from: markburgle on June 21, 2022, 01:50:50 PMhe probably drove a fair number of (especially younger) people away from it.

Twitter had a massive drop off of young people around 2019, a lot of that was to do with TikTok blowing up.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 21, 2022, 12:04:32 PMIt's a wedge issue for terfs. In reality some lesbians 'like' trans women and some don't. And there are no trans women demanding that they should, which is something else terfs lie about, ie 'the cotton ceiling'

And the cotton ceiling (which was a workshop that happened in Canada years ago) was not about coercing or forcing anyone, it seemed to be about navigating dating as a trans woman and the bigotry they may face

somersetchris

Yes Twitter has around 230 million active daily users, less than 3% of the population. Also that will include bots so the real number is lower. I was quite shocked to see the recent figures of just how low down the list of social media it is. It has fewer active users than Reddit, and you don't see Reddit being cited every day on news articles.

As someone else pointed out, the reason is twofold - celebrities and journalists are almost all on it, which makes them think it's more important than it is. They're not connecting with the public opinion, they're connecting with each other (note Linehan's obsession with his blue tick, and he's not the only one). A small number of people generate the bulk of the traffic, which includes terfs - they are a very active, very vocal minority and if you look at their timelines they only tweet about one subject - A LOT. It's how they get stuff trending, they are organised and tweet the same thing over and over even though there are not very many of them. They are the one bigot in your office who won't fucking shut up about it. Literally, in some cases.

Quote from: Ex_GC on June 21, 2022, 03:22:15 PMAnd the cotton ceiling (which was a workshop that happened in Canada years ago) was not about coercing or forcing anyone, it seemed to be about navigating dating as a trans woman and the bigotry they may face

Allison Bailey admitted under oath that she'd only heard about it being a "how to coerce lesbians into sex workshop" from a twitter post IIRC.

somersetchris

Quote from: Ferris on June 21, 2022, 11:01:56 AMI was forced to sign back up for facebook for my masters because it's what everyone uses to swap contact information. The site itself is an absolute ghost town for everyone under 35 (and maybe over).

Facebook is good for closed groups, because you can have admins and rules and kick people out. The problem is you still have to abide by Facebook's nebulous rules, so you can have a group who is totally okay with swearing but still have people suspended or banned because they used the wrong word.

At the moment, I see Facebook filling the role of old school forums, like this one. When I first joined the internet everywhere was forums. I can see them making a return because everyone is so sick of playing by somebody else's unpublished rules, and also still being slaves to the algorithm and having their data farmed. The only issue is the admin and costs, as people are used to using social media for free. 

JamesTC

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on June 21, 2022, 05:06:12 PMOn holiday from what?

From the war on women. Soldiers often take a holiday from their wars. Even when there is so much going on.