Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Didn't he threaten/promise to hop on a flight and visit one of his female mess guests for drinks?

I look forward to the reenactment of said drinks in the Netflix docudrama 'Banana King: A Blue Tick Tragedy'

retsuza

FalknerHinton

Wild how the ai knows what your average twitter user looks like

somersetchris

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 21, 2022, 05:55:50 PM

Did she actually read the article? They seem to be okay being referred to as 'right wing hatemongers'. I know it's true, but usually they would deny it.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 21, 2022, 12:04:32 PMIt's a wedge issue for terfs. In reality some lesbians 'like' trans women and some don't. And there are no trans women demanding that they should, which is something else terfs lie about, ie 'the cotton ceiling'

I have seen that kind of thing on social, albeit about five years ago, when I was wading around in Identity politics groups. "If you won't sleep with me, a trans woman, because I have a penis, you're transphobic", that sort of thing. But it was a handful of troubled souls, not a wide movement.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Mister Six on June 21, 2022, 07:03:56 PMI have seen that kind of thing on social, albeit about five years ago, when I was wading around in Identity politics groups. "If you won't sleep with me, a trans woman, because I have a penis, you're transphobic", that sort of thing. But it was a handful of troubled souls, not a wide movement.
Mmmmmmmm I mean it's a tricky issue. Personally if I fancied a guy enough that I wanted to go out with him and sleep with him, I wouldn't care whether he was trans. If I loved him it wouldn't matter how his downstairs was arranged, as long as he was happy with it. But I'm a straight woman who was very meh on kids and isn't likely to have any now at her age anyway. Gay people are under different pressures and I can understand why some lesbians do not want anything to do with a penis even if it's a woman's penis. At the same time they are kind of saying to trans women "I don't accept your gender". It's not easy to access gender reassignment surgery and some trans people may not want to get it for various reasons. Also where does all this leave non-binary folks?

Mister Six

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 21, 2022, 10:02:04 PMAt the same time they are kind of saying to trans women "I don't accept your gender".

I don't know, are they? Spoilering these thoughts in case people don't really want to read this discussion...

Spoiler alert
If you recognise that ladies can have penises, then surely you're acknowledging that person's gender, even if you're not comfortable with aspects of their physical body. It's unfortunate, and I understand how it might be hurtful for the trans woman if that information isn't delivered sensitively (and even if it is), but the same is true of all kinds of physical preferences people might have.

In any case, I don't think it's healthy to equate the body preferences of person A with denying the validity of person B's gender, because it carries with it the implication that A is being inherently transphobic if they're not willing to engage with B sexually, which puts undue pressure on them to submit to sexual activity they cannot enthusiastically consent to. At least, as I see it.

I guess what we're struggling with here is a language about sexuality that was developed around an imagined clear gender binary, and which is crumbling in the face of the complex reality of human gender. Like, I consider myself straight, but I reckon I'd sleep with a woman who has a penis, if we fancied each other and she was up for it. That seems very obviously a straight act because she's a lady. I wouldn't have sex with Buck Angel despite him having a vagina, because he's a big hairy bloke and I'm not gay.

Apologies to any trans people grossed out by this convo, BTW. If it's very distressing/inappropriate, I can delete.
[close]

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Mister Six on June 21, 2022, 10:43:26 PM[thoughts]
If you don't mind I think I'll leave the conversation here. I'm straight and cis and I'm not qualified to talk any more in depth about this stuff than I already have.

Mister Six

Elfking

I don't believe it can be considered transphobic whether you are straight or not to not want to date someone with specific genitals. Just in the same way everyone has things they like and dislike about people. I would say it's shallow for sure. If you get to know someone and adore everything about them but then find they have different genitals to what you prefer I could understand breaking things off without being considered any type of bigotry. For some people whether your partner has a penis or not is very important, to others it isn't important at all.

I met my wife before she started transitioning at all and have been with them all the way through to post-surgery. For me it didn't matter but I can understand it being a red line for someone else. I think in my case it helps to be bisexual and gender fluid so what people's bodies have or don't have don't bother me all that much.

It's all poppin' off between Posie Parker and the head girls again

GoblinAhFuckScary

moore got radicalised so fucking fast lol. such a fucking dunce

Sonny_Jim

They get used to saying 'point out something I've said that's transphobic!  Go on, you won't find it' all the fucking time they forget what they've actually said.

Jerzy Bondov

Bad news Posie, you've been compared to dog shit.
... Favourably or unfavourably?

wrec

Funny to mention a protester calling KJK racist, then reel off a list of people on "their side" saying the same, and to demand an apology without any attempt at justification or debunking such accusations. I'm guessing the logic is she's owed an apology because she's done loads of prominent bigot stuff lately.

Quote from: wrec on June 22, 2022, 09:59:24 AMFunny to mention a protester calling KJK racist, then reel off a list of people on "their side" saying the same, and to demand an apology without any attempt at justification or debunking such accusations. I'm guessing the logic is she's owed an apology because she's done loads of prominent bigot stuff lately.

She gets accused by the radfems of being 'godlike' to her supporters and they won't let anyone say a word against her.

idunnosomename

Yeah say what you want about TERFs in general, Posie Parker is the one who acts like a genuine 1930s fascist populist, so its no wonder young people show up to treat her like one

And it's showing now that Graham Linehan makes an effort to track down these young people and ruin their lives for standing up to a wealthy lady's hate speech

somersetchris

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 22, 2022, 07:34:33 AMIt's all poppin' off between Posie Parker and the head girls again

Presumably she's on Posie Parker's side, but at the same time managed to hurl a load of abuse at her. It's that thing that politicians do, "I'm not saying my opponent is a corrupt bigoted piece of trash with a tiny penis. Some people might say that, but I wouldn't...'

I think there's a name for that but I'm not good with remembering the names for rhetorical devices!

Edit: Google tells me it's called Apophasis, it needs a snappier name!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2022, 10:41:06 AMAnd it's showing now that Graham Linehan makes an effort to track down these young people and ruin their lives for standing up to a wealthy lady's hate speech

Which is why they show up to counter demonstrations in unmarked clothing and their faces covered.

Almost as if, Graham, TERFs have form for doxxing counter protestors.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 22, 2022, 12:36:51 PMTERFs have form for doxxing counter protestors.

They've already doxxed at least two from Bristol and reported one of those to his employer.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 22, 2022, 12:43:51 PMThey've already doxxed at least two from Bristol and reported one of those to his employer.

What do they expect to be the result?

Your employee went to a popular counter demonstration against a largely unpopular hate group, on a sunday in their own time.

Unless they know the employer in question to be a TERF themselves?  How's that going to stack up against a tribunal?

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 22, 2022, 12:46:39 PMWhat do they expect to be the result?

Your employee went to a popular counter demonstration against a largely unpopular hate group, on a sunday in their own time.

Unless they know the employer in question to be a TERF themselves?  How's that going to stack up against a tribunal?

But, but..... women!

Pink Gregory

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 22, 2022, 12:46:39 PMUnless they know the employer in question to be a TERF themselves?
They can always tell.  Obviously they went rooting through the employers bins and found a Tunnocks teacake wrapper.

QDRPHNC

Oh, that reminds me, I had a dream last night where I was walking around an informal gathering, offering everyone either a Tunnock's caramel bar or a sugared doughnut. I turn my back for a second and the Tunnock's packet is empty. And there's Piers Morgan, bold as brass, pretending to be looking at his laptop when in fact he's taken stolen all the Tunnocks and jammed them down the side of his seat. I start digging in to get them back and saying "You always have to the special boy, don't you Morgan?", then I woke up.

frajer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 22, 2022, 12:46:39 PMWhat do they expect to be the result?

Just wait til they show your boss a picture of you with your phone in your pocket and furiously insist it's a stonk-on. It's curtains for you then!

Mindy Simmons

Big thank you to CABbers for keeping me endlessly entertained during during unexpected hospital visits lately. This heat is not playing well with me.

Anyway, my pointless contribution: does anybody else remember Victoria Woods "Ann Widdicombe" song? I feel we could retroactively fit this to "Graham Linehan" but I don't remember much of the lyrics.