Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Important scenes from films we probably won't bother with otherwise

Started by Dex Sawash, June 05, 2022, 04:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Maybe someone will watch the whole film after.
Youtube clips or movieclip links, better than cheap cheap words.

Was going to do a clip from Dirty Love but that whole film is too important to excerpt.

Dex Sawash

Probably  should merge this with the erotic thriller thread

notjosh

Fred Astaire dancing on the ceiling in the otherwise forgettable Royal Wedding:

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Crenners on June 05, 2022, 04:59:07 PM

Bande à part - The dance.
Bande à part is lots of fun, but that is the best scene, but it has much more impact if you've seen them sit around and do nothing for an hour. Weekend is probably more in need of excerpting, but I can't watch videos right now.

Famous Mortimer

Menu

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 06, 2022, 10:08:51 AMBande à part is lots of fun, but that is the best scene, but it has much more impact if you've seen them sit around and do nothing for an hour. Weekend is probably more in need of excerpting, but I can't watch videos right now.

Yes Bande A Part is definitely worth checking out. But maybe watch Godard's previous films first as it's interesting to see how he develops as a filmaker in such a short space of time-----

-----actually this is sort of proving the premise of the thread.

Menu

Quote from: studpuppet on June 06, 2022, 10:27:17 PMOpening:

Closer:

Touch of Evil is definitely worth bothering with but, yes, the opening is probably the best bit. And one of the great shots in cinema history.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 06, 2022, 09:02:37 PM

This scene is great, the rest of it is so-so.

The cinematography is beat-for-beat the same as the Spice Girls - Wannabe video.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Menu on June 07, 2022, 02:48:09 AMTouch of Evil is definitely worth bothering with but, yes, the opening is probably the best bit. And one of the great shots in cinema history.

Do you know of the film that has another epic bit of camera work, it's a camera on a parade that obviously gets lifted up to a rooftop, passed through windows etc. then zooms back in on the parade? All one take. When I saw it I was blown away however cannot for the life of me remember the film it's from. Memory might be failing me a little on the detail, but I recall it's perfectly synchronised too somehow so when you re-join the parade you are somehow in time with something. Shit explanation I know, I'm going off a very old recollection!

Rizla

Quote from: The Ombudsman on June 07, 2022, 12:21:57 PMDo you know of the film that has another epic bit of camera work, it's a camera on a parade that obviously gets lifted up to a rooftop, passed through windows etc. then zooms back in on the parade? All one take. When I saw it I was blown away however cannot for the life of me remember the film it's from. Memory might be failing me a little on the detail, but I recall it's perfectly synchronised too somehow so when you re-join the parade you are somehow in time with something. Shit explanation I know, I'm going off a very old recollection!
Soy Cuba

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Rizla on June 07, 2022, 12:58:16 PMSoy Cuba

Yes! That's it! Thank you for that. Must have been a real technical feat given the technology of the day. I'd guess cameras were massive and heavy.

I see in the suggested videos the passenger, which is another terrific bit of work.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That bit in Basic Instinct where you get a sken at her Jack and Danny.

kalowski

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2022, 10:02:06 PMThey Live fight scene?

That scene is amazing. Always reminds me of this, but much, much longer:

Rizla

Quote from: EOLAN on June 08, 2022, 10:56:25 AMIncredible scene. Is the entire film itself worth watching?
Absolutely, it's great - pretty much non-stop incredible camera work, you can really see what influence it had on Scorsese et al.

Twit 2

The end of Day of the Locust.  It's awesome and, until you get to it, the film seems a bit of an aimless meander.

the science eel

Quote from: Crenners on June 05, 2022, 04:59:07 PM

Bande à part - The dance.

which reminded me of this, which I think is one of the coolest and most infectiously joyous scenes in any film ever. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole way through when I first saw it - not a HUGE fan of the film otherwise:

Dex Sawash

These are all great, my broken brian can't absorb whole films these days. I thought embedded youtube on CaB might turn out to be annoying but I think it has been a plus overall.