Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DASHCAM

Started by Sebastian Cobb, June 05, 2022, 10:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Any of you chumps seen this? It seems there's two films released roughly at the same time that are kind-of similar (wikipedia links between the two as not to be confused with the 'horror film', 'thriller film' respectively)... I'm talking about the Rob Savage livestreamed thingy.

Annie Hardy plays a version of herself being an edgelord I guess, she nicks her friends car after turning up unannounced and picks up someone for some reason and they're a demon or something. To be honest it's all over the fucking shop and whether you like it or not depends on whether you think the twitch-style commentary is funny.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/dashcam-film-review-release-date-b2091621.html

SteveDave

I loved this. I'm sort of glad nothing get explained as to where Angela came from or what she was and why she was staying in the back room of a cafe. There were some really good scares in it too.

holyzombiejesus

I'm going to watch it right now.

Goldentony

It was OK and I do not think i'll have much to say or think about it beyond that. I got half an hour into the the wrong one before realising before changing.

Was nice to see
Spoiler alert
Beano Cafe
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Felt like it was quite overstretched, not very well made and should have been a segment on one of those VHS or A to Z of Death type films. Considering one of the most annoying thing about horrors is stupid main characters, seems a bit odd to make them stupid and irritating and unpleasant.

These end credits are execrable. 12 minutes long - almost 1/6 of the film's length taken up by that wank. Makes me think fondly of the kid rapping at the end of The Visit.

AsparagusTrevor

I watched this at the weekend. To be honest I'm not really a fan of the found-footage genre (apart from one or two exceptions) but I really didn't like it.

It just seemed like a bunch of set-pieces designed to throw the camera around and make loud noises, encased in a Twitch-style live-feed. The lead protagonist is a horrible bastard with a voice that would make Janice off of Friends wince. I know it's most likely intentional, but that doesn't make her any easier to watch/listen to.
Spoiler alert
and I'm not totally convinced it's intentional with her surviving the ordeal not really any worse for wear and seemingly no lessons learned. When the end credits rolled with that interminable rap I couldn't tell if she was supposed to a satire of toxic, far-right, internet trolls or actually a celebration of them.
[close]

I don't wanna be totally negative, so on the plus side it did fairly well avoiding the "why are they still filming?" found-footage trope. Also some of the special effects were well done.

I saw this recently as well. Not as good as host, but it did feel like a step forward in some ways for the director. Like you say, some of the set pieces and effects were pretty good.
Haha, yeah, the main actress was a bit too good at playing an annoying twat.
Like you say, it doesn't feel like we're meant to dislike her at the end.
Still a 3 bagger for me, it was pretty good fun.

Spoiler alert
They had a brilliant moment around the middle of the film where the creepy lass is left in the back seat of the car staring at the camera.
They should have let that linger for ages.
[close]

Reminded me a lot of "Spree", which is good fun as well, but has a lot of similar problems.

Junglist

Good shout on Spree, it's great fun. Watched it last year and a had a blast.