Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:34:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Neil Hamburger UK Tour

Started by Bronzy, June 09, 2022, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

Don't know if this deserves its own thread, but I just noticed that Neil Hamburger is doing dates in London, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow in October:

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/neil-hamburger

Have booked the Glasgow one, will be my first time seeing him live and I'm looking forward to it!

QDRPHNC

He's great, saw him in Toronto and Mark Proksch did a surprise opening set. Both were fantastic. Is he being supported by Major Entertainer in the UK? That guy I could take or leave.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 09, 2022, 09:34:21 PMHe's great, saw him in Toronto and Mark Proksch did a surprise opening set. Both were fantastic. Is he being supported by Major Entertainer in the UK? That guy I could take or leave.

If Major Entertainer isn't a standup character army sergeant major then he can go right on and fuck himself

Ron Superior

I've seen Neil the last 3 or 4 times he's been over and he's always great. But those tickets for the Bill Murray are a bit steep. Are US acts having extra costs due to Brexit or anything?

DrGreggles

try as I might, I just can't bring myself to pay 30 quid to see anything at the Bill Murray, I just can't do it

The Mollusk

£30 is a piss take. When I saw him double headline the Soho Theatre with Tim Heidecker it was only about £23. Times have changed and it sucks.

SteveDave

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 09, 2022, 11:21:44 PMtry as I might, I just can't bring myself to pay 30 quid to see anything at the Bill Murray, I just can't do it

Same. It was announced a month ago (I think) and I was "Oooh" but then I was "Mmmmm" when I saw the price.

cacciaguida

I have 2 tickets for this that I am willing to pass on for a nominal fee as we can no longer go

Gig is tonight i.e 7th October

PM if you want them

Tairy_Green

2/3 nights at the Bill Murray not sold out... Could have done one at Leicester Square or Soho Theatre to twice as many people for half the price.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 09, 2022, 11:21:44 PMtry as I might, I just can't bring myself to pay 30 quid to see anything at the Bill Murray, I just can't do it

I'm the same. I admire what they're doing with the venue, and they get some great acts there, and I've seen some fantastic comedy many a time, but I don't actually like the room, the chairs are so close together that as a tall and slightly arthritic man I'm in pain after a 50 minute long show, unless you get seats at the side in the front row but of course there's no guarantee of that. It's a shame as I'd like to support it more, but nowadays I only go if I'm unlikely to see the comedian elsewhere or I can get there early enough to be at the front.

shoulders

Oh my god I'm going to see Neil Hamburger on Sunday in Leeds FUCKING HELL

shoulders

15 mins to go

Pretty sure I recognise a CaBber. Which one are you red jacket guy, apologies, I think we met a long time ago.

Memorex MP3

Worth going blind by yourself if you've seen absolutely nothing involving the character other than Entertainment?

shoulders

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 09, 2022, 07:46:02 PMWorth going blind by yourself if you've seen absolutely nothing involving the character other than Entertainment?

I'd say so, when I went I'd only seen this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vn98V7ifM - but loved the show a huge amount.

McChesney Duntz

Not that you're necessarily going to get the same kind of experience, but if you appreciated the intersection between comedy, pathos and nothingness that Entertainment existed in, you're likely to find something to enjoy at a Hamburger performance.

sevendaughters

for some sick reason I really think the best of Hamburger is the old fake live CDs he would do, there's something so pathetic about Raw Hamburger that it appeals to me forever. Saw him live maybe 19 years ago and the emphasis was on fairly shocking material, I guess he's not quite as past-the-knuckle these days since becoming a beloved comedy institution?

McChesney Duntz

Early Hamburger is masterful anti- (or even pseudo-)comedy, but I think Gregg recognized he had gone as far as he could in that realm after Left for Dead in Malaysia (though Laugh Out Lord was still to come, wasn't it? Scratch that, then). I'm constantly delighted that each new tour/project manages to be distinct in some way from what preceded it - not sure if he's going to do it on the UK tour, but his show I saw a few months ago centered on a masterful twenty-minute rant about Kiss that was a glory and a sight to behold.

sevendaughters

oh yeah there has been a real development of the character over, what, 30+ years (which is insane), from character on a prank call CD to musician/actual stand-up through all sorts of stuff. I just like Gregg's stuff in general.

sevendaughters

just listened to Hot February Night for the first time since release and was in tears throughout. Absolute masterpiece of audience baiting.

BlodwynPig

Damn, missed this but at least had pleasure of seeing the fabulous mr entertainer in toronto with qdrphnc

QDRPHNC

He would have been fine if his set was 10 minutes.

privatefriend

He was in great form last night in Glasgow. I somehow managed to enjoy despite having severe tonsillitis.

Indomitable Spirit

He was excellent in Leeds too. Saw him at The Bread Shed in Manchester a few years back and it was a different vibe (no less excellent - but a bigger, more raucous audience). Seeing him in a small room of 60-70 people, everyone eating out the palm of his hand was different gravy.

However, he did have to explain who Blind Melon was at one point, which made me feel very old.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on October 11, 2022, 12:31:03 PMHowever, he did have to explain who Blind Melon was at one point, which made me feel very old.

Disgraced rock outfit for pig people?

shoulders

Quote from: privatefriend on October 11, 2022, 12:14:45 PMHe was in great form last night in Glasgow. I somehow managed to enjoy despite having severe tonsillitis.

Sorry to break off from the comedy chat, but who gets severe tonsilitis and thinks 'next thing I'll do is sit in a room with 100 people sat next to one another and laugh my cold/flu germs across the place?'

The Mollusk

Waiting for a Hamburger punchline to that question.

"WHOOOOO ... WHOOOO ..... WHOOO gets SEVERE TONSILLITIS..." etc

Answer: "Stinking piece of shit Anthony Kiedis of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers!"

privatefriend

Quote from: shoulders on October 12, 2022, 11:51:35 AMSorry to break off from the comedy chat, but who gets severe tonsilitis and thinks 'next thing I'll do is sit in a room with 100 people sat next to one another and laugh my cold/flu germs across the place?'

It's just a very sore throat, no contagious coughing like cold or flu. I am in hospital now though because it got even worse. Hahaha.

shoulders

Laughing expels your breath so whatever caused it may still have been contagious at that point.

Oh well, it's done now.