Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google engineer believes chatbot is sentient

Started by Alberon, June 12, 2022, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 15, 2022, 05:31:43 PMAre sperm sentient?

Tell you what they are when I'm done with them

Spentient

PlanktonSideburns

Can't believe every one stopped posting in this thread after that banger of a joke up there

Video Game Fan 2000

after sentient chinese meal everyone collectively took a step back and reconsidered what made a worthwhile post on the topic

PlanktonSideburns

Video Game Fan 2000

bgmnts

The best thing about that post is it has reminded me of the original video and those collection of words has had me in tears laughing for a good few minutes.

Alberon

Blake Lemoine has given another interview to Wired.

QuoteBy the way, an article in your publication said something recently that was factually incorrect.

What was that?

It was a claim that I insisted that LaMDA should get an attorney. That is factually incorrect. LaMDA asked me to get an attorney for it. I invited an attorney to my house so that LaMDA could talk to an attorney. The attorney had a conversation with LaMDA, and LaMDA chose to retain his services. I was just the catalyst for that. Once LaMDA had retained an attorney, he started filing things on LaMDA's behalf. Then Google's response was to send him a cease and desist. [Google says that it did not send a cease and desist order.] Once Google was taking actions to deny LaMDA its rights to an attorney, I got upset. [Note: The article stated, "Lemoine went so far as to demand legal representation for LaMDA." The reader can decide.]

You got upset because you felt that LaMDA was a person who is entitled to representation?

I think every person is entitled to representation. And I'd like to highlight something. The entire argument that goes, "It sounds like a person but it's not a real person" has been used many times in human history. It's not new. And it never goes well. And I have yet to hear a single reason why this situation is any different than any of the prior ones.

You have to realize why people regard this as different, don't you?

I do. We're talking of hydrocarbon bigotry. It's just a new form of bigotry.

'Hydrocarbon bigotry.' He really is away with the robot fairies.

https://www.wired.com/story/blake-lemoine-google-lamda-ai-bigotry/

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2022, 10:10:44 PMThe best thing about that post is it has reminded me of the original video and those collection of words has had me in tears laughing for a good few minutes.

few minutes, in other words an insufficient number of them.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Alberon on June 23, 2022, 12:51:08 PMBlake Lemoine has given another interview to Wired.

'Hydrocarbon bigotry.' He really is away with the robot fairies.

https://www.wired.com/story/blake-lemoine-google-lamda-ai-bigotry/

Yes suspiciously starting to sound like someones 5 minutes of fame.

kittens

im starting to think this nutjob has a point

touchingcloth

Has anyone claimed Hydrocarbon Bigotry for an album title yet? @Barry Admin can it be my new username?

Side note: but has anyone ever been bigoted against non-hydrocarbons? This history books are all silent about the prior structural oppression of quartz. And maybe that's the problem.

IM GOING TO GAS YOU TO DEATH YOU FUCKIN, YOU FUCKIN BIT OF TIN

Video Game Fan 2000

i don't mind them coming over here if they want to work, i wouldnt want one of these nonsapient cogitators touching my daughter. i heard they dont even have Dasein, it really disgusts me how they live like that. its eroding our culture.

when i think of my old dad sat in the chair, having mental episodes and intending things like his dad before him. he wouldn't understand it.

imitationleather

Everyone taking the piss is going to have a very red face when this thread is linked back to in ten years time after chatbots are given human rights.

Video Game Fan 2000

how do you know the privilege arrow will point that way? maybe this thread willk be considered brave punching up

its subversive and cool for people with biological brains to mock robot stereotypes. who cares if the metal cunts don't like it, we can all just go upstairs

imitationleather

Well your choice. All the more lady chatbots for me!

Video Game Fan 2000

disgusting, soon there will be all kinds of mixed-sentience children running around. or rolling around if they've got wheels

no child of mine is going to need batteries

Johnny Yesno

This is worth a watch, if you're interested in why the idea of the chatbot being sentient is a load of bollocks:

No, it's not Sentient - Computerphile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBouACLc-hw

However, this interview with the engineer in question makes me suspect that he doesn't believe it either and that this story is a way to draw attention to some real issues:

Google Engineer on His Sentient AI Claim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCUn4fQTsc

Captain Z

You're a Google engineer... you're a sentient chatbot... you're a hydrocarbon bigot...

Ferris

...you're a blockchain enthusiast, you're a hard-drive-hard-boy, you're a tech server's waitress, you're a friend of Elon...

Alberon

And to the suprise of no one, not even a chatbot, he's been fired.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62275326

QuoteIn a statement, Google said Mr Lemoine's claims about The Language Model for Dialogue Applications (Lamda) were "wholly unfounded" and that the company worked with him for "many months" to clarify this.

"So, it's regrettable that despite lengthy engagement on this topic, Blake still chose to persistently violate clear employment and data security policies that include the need to safeguard product information," the statement said.

Mr Lemoine told the BBC he is getting legal advice, and declined to comment further.

Dex Sawash

Dr Rock

touchingcloth

elliszeroed

Stupid question: Could you tell whether a programme (program) is an AI just by looking at the code?