Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you happily watch many times

Started by Bigfella, June 14, 2022, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 15, 2022, 12:13:53 PMTrading Places, although I'm now resigned to the fact I'll never properly understand the ending.
Easy...
Spoiler alert
The now-wealthy Valentine, Winthorpe, Ophelia, and Coleman vacation on a tropical beach, while Beeks and the gorilla are loaded onto a ship bound for Africa.
[close]

Crenners

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2022, 05:34:42 PMMore than a thousand times? My eye.

OK I've done the maths and realistically five hundred

Campbell Soupe

Tremors - great fun, every time
Resolution/The Endless - love the off kilter, spooky, weirdly woozy mood of that world
Lebowski - obvs

kalowski

The full list is
Lebowski
Jaws
All the President's Men
The French Connection
Marathon Man
The Third Man
The Thing
Dirty Harry
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Conversation
Godfathers I and II
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Night of the Hunter
The Searchers
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Psycho
Rear Window
The Birds
The Shining
Once Upon a Time in the West
Glengarry Glen Ross
Planet of the Apes (1968)
The Terminator
The Andromeda Strain
Goodfellas
Mean Streets
The King of Comedy
Taxi Driver
The General
Close Encounters
Citizen Kane
Touch of Evil
Rushmore
The Darjeeling Limited
Annie Hall
Broadway Danny Rose
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Zelig

holdover

Head. Must have watched that over a hundred times. The perfect film.

Shaky

Ghostbusters
Raiders
Temple
Mad Max 2
Scrooged and Christmas Vacation every... Christmas Vacation (Holiday)
Psycho 3
Blues Bros
Halloween (original)
Living Daylights
Lost in Translation

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crenners on June 15, 2022, 07:35:36 PMOK I've done the maths and realistically five hundred

I should say... ;)

Replies From View

I mostly only watch films that I have already seen.

Brundle-Fly

A lot of films what people have nominated on this thread. You all have splendid taste. Unless, I'm mistaken, I'm disappointed to see The Poseidion Adventure, Carry Ons...Hammer horrors, George Pal and Ray Harryhausen films not included.

One film I've seen many, many times is 10,Rillington Place (1971). I don't know what it says about me but I love everything about it. Similarly, Villain (1971), Frenzy (1972), and A Clockwork Orange (1971) Early 70s films set in London plus murderers and I'm in.

Sebastian Cobb

Harry Dean Stanton's last film, Lucky whenever I'm feeling overly sentimental.

paddy72

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2022, 08:58:42 PMHarry Dean Stanton's last film, Lucky whenever I'm feeling overly sentimental.

I'm feeling overly sentimental of late, so intend to rewatch this. Great film.

LordMorgan

I'm quite strange, I have films I watch yearly at specific times of the year

Boxing Day,Superman 2

New Year's Day, Forest Gump
Easter weeekend superman 3 and 4

June Jaws, also the weekend nearest my birthday the godfather 1 and 2 marathon

July crocodile Dundee

August the wedding singer

September Withnail and I

Films I can watch anytime and multiple times , Goodfellas, superman the movie and many others

But I have to watch the films noted in those specific times of the year

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Muppets Christmas Carol. If it weren't against Yuletide law, I'd watch it all year round.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 17, 2022, 02:50:18 PMMuppets Christmas Carol. If it weren't against Yuletide law, I'd watch it all year round.

Scrooged and all.

Scammin

The only films I've watched more than once are Darby O'Gill and the little people and Salem's Lot.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 17, 2022, 02:50:18 PMMuppets Christmas Carol. If it weren't against Yuletide law, I'd watch it all year round.

It's A Wonderful Life is getting up there as well.  Mainly because you don't get the immortal "To my big brother George, the richest man in town" (which is making me well up just typing it) until right at the end.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 16, 2022, 05:46:37 PMA lot of films what people have nominated on this thread. You all have splendid taste. Unless, I'm mistaken, I'm disappointed to see The Poseidion Adventure, Carry Ons...Hammer horrors, George Pal and Ray Harryhausen films not included.

Alright, Carry On Camping is one that I'll often rewatch if it's on, as I think it's the one that sums up Carry On best, especially because it's clearly filmed in December.

neveragain

The Truman Show - there's just something about it. The setting, the acting. The paranoia, the media satire.

About Schmidt - just love the journey of it. Ending always makes me cry.

Sideways - again, great journey and engaging dialogue. Although I haven't watched that as much as the other two.

Planes Trains and Automobiles - just perfect, for comedy and heartwarming moments. Two stellar performances that I just want to spend time with.

Muriel's Wedding - beautifully bleak and certainly the best use of ABBA music in a movie to date. Great character detail throughout and an ending that is both tearjerking and joyful.

Heavenly Creatures - darkly gorgeous. Goes from blissful to ominous to horrifying.

Also, yeah, the Python films, Goodfellas, Zucker classics, Withnail & I and (when I was younger) Braindead for the outlandish gore.

Famous Mortimer

Dazed And Confused

Hangout movies work well for multiple rewatches.

Old Thrashbarg

There are loads of films that pretty much everyone would say are very good that I could watch over and over, but I think the three films I've seen most often probably wouldn't quite fit into tvst category.

The Mask (1994)
Had it on VHS and watched it repeatedly with my sister as we were growing up. But then I've watched it again a few times over that last 15 years, including there and back on flights to and from Denver, and it's just a very enjoyable comic book film that requires very little thought beyond enjoying what you're bring shown.

Jumanji (1995)
I could write exactly the same as above, apart from the trip to Denver bit. Endlessly watchable.

The Fugitive (1993)
A perfectly adequate film with good performances from the leads, but nothing special. And yet whenever I stumble across it on whichever ITV channel happens to be showing it that particular week, I find myself watching it. And suddenly a couple of hours of me preempting every line of dialogue have passed and it's over. I think it must be comfort food.

the science eel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2022, 08:58:42 PMHarry Dean Stanton's last film, Lucky whenever I'm feeling overly sentimental.

When he sings 'Volver', oh God...

kalowski

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 21, 2022, 10:41:59 PMThere are loads of films that pretty much everyone would say are very good that I could watch over and over, but I think the three films I've seen most often probably wouldn't quite fit into tvst category.
This has reminded me of the film in this category that I always watch if on TV.

Outbreak (1995): I know it's rubbish, and it descends into nonsense when Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr are flying around in the helicopter but there's something addictive about this film.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: kalowski on June 22, 2022, 06:27:39 AMThis has reminded me of the film in this category that I always watch if on TV.

Outbreak (1995): I know it's rubbish, and it descends into nonsense when Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr are flying around in the helicopter but there's something addictive about this film.

Totally agree. I have watched the first 3/4 of this loads but pretty much switch off when they leave the village to find an monkey.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 15, 2022, 12:24:06 PMI've found as I get older that I feel sort of guilty about rewatching things. I've got so much stuff I've never seen before bookmarked on various streaming services, it feels wasteful to wallow in nostalgia instead. At the same time, wallowing in nostalgia is increasingly what I want to do.

Yes me too. I have to limit myself to about one re-watched film in ten so I can get through the massive watchlist I am compiling on Letterboxd. I ignore that rule though if I am tired or drunk and know I will fall asleep while watching, in which case it is re-watch every time.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 15, 2022, 11:06:31 AMRobocop (1987) is my favourite film and the film I have watched the most.

Same. Every line, at least for the first half of the film, is a classic

neveragain

Oh, if we're talking about films that when they're on I don't flick over, Love Actually. There's a lot to criticise obviously, but it moves at such a pace of familiar actors and alright moments that it never fails to grab me.

Pinball

What to add to this?

Bond films.
Wayne's World films.
Phantasm.

Brundle-Fly

Cliffhanger (1993)
Demolition Man (1993)