Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More More More, how does Joe Lycett

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 21, 2022, 02:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Just goes to show there is no such thing as bad publicity...

Call the Police there's a bad man around

Honestly, who goes to to see a comic then calls the authorities to report a joke?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Famous Mortimer

Maybe they reported him for upsetting low-paid customer service workers and not affecting the policies or activities of corporations at all.

Icehaven

Quote"To be fair to them, the fuzz were very nice about it all but felt they had a duty to investigate.

Did they? Or did they want a funny story about the time they had to contact a bloke off the telly. Beats the beat and the beatings I suppose! Seriously though surely they should be arrested for wasting their own time.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 21, 2022, 02:40:09 PMMaybe they reported him for upsetting low-paid customer service workers and not affecting the policies or activities of corporations at all.

Karen Lycett.

The Lurker

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: The Lurker on June 21, 2022, 05:20:46 PMWhat was the joke?

The actual joke isn't given in the story, which makes me think this might be a stunt to drum up trade for the show.

Lycett is something of a middling comic but he does have a real talent for generating publicity.

RicoMNKN

Doesn't he often do quite twee TV?  Calling the police is insane, but I can see why someone might go to his show not expecting that sort of material.

Sebastian Cobb

Pfft if there aren't people phoning the cops is it even an authentic Ovens Butlins gig?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 21, 2022, 08:49:04 PMDoesn't he often do quite twee TV?  Calling the police is insane, but I can see why someone might go to his show not expecting that sort of material.

Yeah, his TV presenting persona is quite cuddly and benign, so anyone expecting that sort of comedy from him would probably be quite surprised/shocked/offended to the point of calling the fucking police.

I mean, I have no idea what his stage act is like, I've never seen it, but I have zero sympathy for people who buy tickets for a comedy show based on nothing more than "Ooh, it's them off that thing we like on telly."

I'm aware of how snobbish that sounds, but really.

RicoMNKN

Agreed, that's why I said it was insane. Just trying to work out how a supposed fan could get so upset.

I did see a tweet from someone at his gig the other day saying "a shame about the gammons sat next to us getting physically angry the amount of gay content", which seems harder to understand.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh I know, I was agreeing with you (and needlessly repeating your more succinctly expressed point).

As for gammons being made to feel uncomfortable during a frank performance by a gay comedian, well that's immensely pleasing and utterly baffling. As you say, what were they expecting?

Jim Morrison was right, people are strange. And he was an utter buffoon.

Cold Meat Platter

Fambo Number Mive

If this isn't a publicity stunt, why wasn't the person prosecuted for wasting police time?

oggyraiding

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 21, 2022, 11:27:38 PMAs for gammons being made to feel uncomfortable during a frank performance by a gay comedian, well that's immensely pleasing and utterly baffling. As you say, what were they expecting?

To split hairs, I believe he identifies as pansexual. Not sure if that sexuality is more or less offensive to gammons than homosexuality.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: oggyraiding on June 22, 2022, 11:05:15 AMTo split hairs, I believe he identifies as pansexual. Not sure if that sexuality is more or less offensive to gammons than homosexuality.

I'M NOT EATING THAT FRY-UP IF SOME PERVERT'S SHAGGED THE PAN

idunnosomename

pansexual!??! he has sex with pans? 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 couldnt make it up

Cuellar

Stigdu

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2022, 11:22:34 AMI'd love to be pansexual

I've tried being pansexual but just like Tefal, it just didn't stick.

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2022, 08:24:39 AMIf this isn't a publicity stunt, why wasn't the person prosecuted for wasting police time?

And as I mentioned above, they should be done for wasting their own time. I can't picture any situation in which they genuinely felt someone complaining about a joke in a mainstream standup show needed further investigation other than "haha let's follow it up so we get to contact Joe Lycett."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 21, 2022, 08:49:04 PMDoesn't he often do quite twee TV?

I'm sure he's done something that's half Beadle's About and half Rogue Traders.