Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The price of fish

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 22, 2022, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Notwithstanding the current fuss over this chippy because of Tik Tok Mega Chippy

I was staggered by the price of a meal the other day at my local chip shop. I was charged 10 pounds for cod and chips. That was 7.70 for yer fish with 2.30 for chips. As David Dickinson alludes to there was a time when a fish supper would be a value meal, alas it seems no longer.

How much you paying?

king_tubby

Lunchtime special 11am to 1.30 pm, £4.99, small fish, small chips, battered sos and your choice of curry/beans/gravy or mushy peas. Bargain.

Eight quid for a 'normal' portion.

bgmnts

Swear to god I remember a time where cod or battered sausage and chips was something like 3 quid. Now that's just chips.

Grim.

Lemming

Was talking to a guy who runs a fish and chip shop near here and he said they were "completely fucked", real despair visible in his face and audible in his voice. He wasn't my friend or anything, I'd never met him before or used his shop and I don't know why he was telling me this. I was waiting for a bus outside his place and he came up to me, a total stranger, and panicked about the state of his business apropos of nothing. I said something like "good chin" while walking away, attempting to combine "chin up" and "good luck" and fucking it up because it was hot and I was dehydrated and also knackered.

Not fish and chips, but every time my niece comes over, she makes me order stuff for her from a nearby pizza place. At this point they're quite frankly taking the fucking piss. £8 for a miserable-looking 10" pizza and £3.80 (!!!) for a small box of onion rings, which are always in a sorry state, all stuck together and naff. £2 for chips. Absolute wonder they haven't priced themselves out of the market yet. Niece just wolfs it down, doesn't even taste it or savour it. The guy who runs it is a dick as well, doing exaggerated sighs whenever you take a second too long to order, even though you're only taking so long because you're trying to calculate the exact amount he's gouged you by.

shoulders

Yeah it's nowhere near that for fish and chips in Leeds, still seeing £4.99-7.50 normally apart from the overexposed mediocre ones.

I actually really fancy that for tea now you bastard. I rarely if ever get takeaways.

Video Game Fan 2000

when i used to regularly go to the chippy in the 90s, one of my biggest memories is that it was impossible for old people to be in the vicinity of a chippy without carping on the price of fish being daylight robbery. 50p chip £2 cod £1.5 fishcake but somehow it was even cheaper in the 60s and 70s, fish was basically free then because we were blowing up the ocean with dynamite

bgmnts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 22, 2022, 04:28:51 PMwhen i used to regularly go to the chippy in the 90s, one of my biggest memories is that it was impossible for old people to be in the vicinity of a chippy without carping on the price of fish being daylight robbery. 50p chip £2 cod £1.5 fishcake but somehow it was even cheaper in the 60s and 70s, fish was basically free then because we were blowing up the ocean with dynamite

I wonder if two or three generations down the line will hate us the way the way we hate the boomer generation for fucking everything up.

Our whinging won't be about how easy everything was back will it?

shoulders

I would say the best fish and chips I have had in many, many years was at George Inn, Hubberholme who get haddock delivered fresh.

Everything is done close to perfectly including delicious chunky chips.

It obviously costs a lot (£18, something like that) for a dish with a ceiling on how good it can be, so I was amazed it not only justified every penny but have found myself telling everyone I know about bloody fish and chips.

Fucking enormous too, if size matters to you. Still had a large potatoes worth of chips sat on the plate and a greasy tinge of regret at forcing myself to eat every morsel of fish.

The understated owner (also from Leeds originally) remarked 'You've done alright with that' which presumably meant he was very impressed.

Norton Canes

Still only about three quid for battered halloumi, suck it up fish-eaters

the science eel

went up suddenly from £7.20 to £7.90 for cod, chips and mushy peas in Whitehaven's finest GRANNY WONG'S

still reasonable. West Cumbria is one of the least expensive areas in the UK.

turnstyle

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 22, 2022, 04:35:07 PMStill only about three quid for battered halloumi, suck it up fish-eaters

Just wait until those FAT CATS in BRUSSELS impose SANCTIONS on halloumi due to OVER FISHING.

holyzombiejesus

There was an ace chippy by us. It was famous apparently, people used to drive over from Manchester and there were some benches by the dog shit bins where you could eat your stuff. Pies were all home made and you had to specify if you wanted normal or vegetarian chips as they were generally fried in lard. Bloke who ran it was a cunt though. Owns half the land round here, mega-landlord wanker but puts on this shitty 'man of the people' air. I don't say hello to him when I cycle past him to teach him a lesson.

If cod's getting so expensive, why isn't cheaper, less threatened fish like pollack more widely available? Not sure this is the thread for it but  if thick selfish pigs want to stuff their faces with overfished product, let them pay through their greedy little snouts for it.

Replies From View

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2022, 04:33:39 PMI wonder if two or three generations down the line will hate us the way the way we hate the boomer generation for fucking everything up.

Our whinging won't be about how easy everything was back will it?

it might be energy prices for us. "i used to take baths!" "i watched dvds before 7pm"

i don't think we'll match boomers for total obliviousness over prices and purchasing power. the people who bought at house at 25 not because of favourable economics or regulation, but because they worked hard with their own two hands not like todays privileged cornflake otherkin generation who lazily share flats

Video Game Fan 2000

food prices might get a bit better if people eat more sustainably instead of insisting that you can't go to work without two beef "patties" folded up your arse like some kind of American

we've fucked fish though. in ten years the idea of people in the uk walking round eating the prohibitively expensive rare delicacy cod out of fucking newspaper and soaked in pea juice will seem even more absurd and wasteful than those american cities where they used to hand out buckets of lobster to prisoners

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 22, 2022, 03:29:51 PMAs David Dickinson alludes to there was a time when a fish supper would be a value meal,

I don't think it's been a value meal for at least 20 years, maybe more. McDonalds has always been cheaper, round our way. A few nuggets or a chop cooked at home has always been cheaper. I suppose it's a value meal not made at home. A small fish and chips outside the Tower of London is £12.00 but London is a rip off anyway.

Fuel has gone up and it's fucking with some businesses.

phes

We lost our local during the pandemic and it got replaced by another pizza place that nobody on earth needed ever. I guess their markup is better. Real shame as the chippy did the old £5 lunchtime special and was at the cheaper end of the scale in the evenings. It's such a fucked area that losing a decent, cheap chippy is a real stinger. You can chuck minimum of a fiver on the cost now if you wanted to get fish and chips delivered from a more expensive shop via whatever cunty intermediary app one should use. The writing was probably on the wall and the local Chinese (also cheap and cheerful and moreorless next door) released a menu rebranding themselves as the 'New xxxx' and whacking 50p on everything.

Endicott

Quote from: shoulders on June 22, 2022, 04:34:47 PMI would say the best fish and chips I have had in many, many years was at George Inn, Hubberholme who get haddock delivered fresh.

At an otherwise empty and desolate beach spot, the cafe at Dunwich beach, best I've ever eaten. £10.75 for sit down Haddock & Chips.

https://www.floratearoomsdunwich.co.uk/

Cuellar

Used to get a 'lunchtime special' at the chippy near school, battered sausage and chips £1.50 and this was in what early 2000s

No idea what you do now

turnstyle

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2022, 05:02:00 PMUsed to get a 'lunchtime special' at the chippy near school, battered sausage and chips £1.50 and this was in what early 2000s

Forget killing baby Hitler, this is what I'd use a time machine for.

shoulders

Quote from: Cuellar on June 22, 2022, 05:02:00 PMUsed to get a 'lunchtime special' at the chippy near school, battered sausage and chips £1.50 and this was in what early 2000s

No idea what you do now

Lick the residue off rusty heinz tins on landfill sites, £4 for an hours access.

monkfromhavana

A tenner for cod and chips? What kind of chippy was this? At my local, you'd get that for about 7.50, which considering how fucked the cod population is, is pretty fair.

monkfromhavana

I mean, my chippy thing is roe, which is literally cod eggs, so I'm guessing that I'm even worse cos I don't even let the fish get born in the first place.

Pinball

Video Game Fan 2000

couldnt you eat hitler roe instead

Sebastian Cobb

Guy in my local chippy has updated his prices but also taken the chance to replace the backlit signage with 3 big lcd tv's providing digital price boards. Maybe if he didn't do that he woudn't have had to put his prices up, although it might be a sign he anticipates further rises or truculence in the future.

I know some of the chippies that have these and are open late in town use these as a means to have 'night prices' and bilk more money out of people when they're pissed, but I think my guy shuts before the pub does so I don't think it's that.

The burger van behind my gaff put the prices up by about 50p across the board a couple of weeks ago so I don't think he's 'at it'.

shiftwork2

Our decent village chippy charges £8.50.  Aldeburgh Fish & Chips, which I sometimes stop at on the way home from work on these lovely evenings, is pushing a tenner but it's supposedly famous and the location cannot be beated.

Sebastian Cobb

My usual chippy dish isn't fish though... big fan of the jumbo sausage supper + a king rib on the side.

madhair60

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 22, 2022, 05:44:40 PMOur decent village chippy charges £8.50.  Aldeburgh Fish & Chips, which I sometimes stop at on the way home from work on these lovely evenings, is pushing a tenner but it's supposedly famous and the location cannot be beated.

on my way over for chip