Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THE BIG DEBATE - which is better, 'grey' or 'gray'?

Started by Dr Rock, June 25, 2022, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I think 'grey' is nicer looking word, but for what it's describing, 'gray' somehow seems more appropriate, lacking the fanciness of the 'e' spelling, capturing better the dull, colorless essence of grayness. Then again it's one letter away from 'gay' which never implies a lack of colour.

Imagine if turquoise was called grey and vice versa? It wouldn't make any sense at all!

and............fuckitpost!

bgmnts

Oh no I'd go the other way, grey is such a dull looking word and the e is rubbish. Gray is a lot more glamourous.

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on June 25, 2022, 12:29:23 PMOh no I'd go the other way, grey is such a dull looking word and the e is rubbish. Gray is a lot more glamourous.

Hence why "grey" is so much more fitting.

Buelligan

Dr Rock

touchingcloth

I just go with gr(a|e)y any time I write it to ensure all bases are covered.

Butchers Blind

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Grey/gray is something I equivocate over when writing, and which one I choose depends as much on my mood as anything else.

It's a little like commas before names in that sense. If I'm writing a text or instant message I'll as often write "thanks mate" as "thanks, mate" just cos the latter can feel overly fussy.

Dr Rock

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 25, 2022, 12:51:30 PMGrey/gray is something I equivocate over when writing, and which one I choose depends as much on my mood as anything else.

Could not agree more!

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 25, 2022, 12:51:30 PMIf I'm writing a text or instant message I'll as often write "thanks mate" as "thanks, mate" just cos the latter can feel overly fussy.

You are insane.

Sherman Krank

Gray is closer to Cray and therefore more likely to nail your head to a table.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 25, 2022, 12:54:47 PMYou are insane.

It's actually more to do with whether I say it in my head with an audible comma. If I were speaking and I'd say it fast and exclaim-y then I'll drop the written comma, and I might even write an exclamation mark at the end if I'm suffering minor brain damage.

Dr Rock

touchingcloth

I say "come over here to receive your blowjob of gratitude".

Dr Rock

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Sherman Crank on June 25, 2022, 01:07:22 PMGray is closer to Cray and therefore more likely to nail your head to a table.
Krazy.

QDRPHNC

touchingcloth

Glebe

"Call us what you will we are still going to abduct you and shove a probe up your anus."

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 25, 2022, 12:51:30 PMIt's a little like commas before names in that sense. If I'm writing a text or instant message I'll as often write "thanks mate" as "thanks, mate" just cos the latter can feel overly fussy.

I'm with you, touchingcloth. I'm with you touchingcloth.

I prefer the first one but I don't want you to think that I think my screen name is touchingcloth and I'm signing off my post accordingly.

That would be crazy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't spell any other words the American way (i.e. wrongly) why would grey be any different?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 25, 2022, 05:12:04 PMI don't spell any other words the American way (i.e. wrongly) why would grey be any different?

Sure you don't, Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth.

Btw, the comma doesn't mean I think I'm Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth either.

Sebastian Cobb

Gray just seems a bit incorrect, but you do you

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dr Rock

Yes but Claude drives a genuine racecar, while solving rock music mysteries.

I didn't intend to imply with that comma that my name is 'while solving rock music mysteries'.

Dr Rock

Second question - can you imagine a world where the word 'turquoise' meant 'grey/gray' and 'grey/gray' meant 'turquoise'?

Stigdu

Quote from: Buelligan on June 25, 2022, 12:31:12 PMA for American.  E for English.

Bit racist.

Agreed. I noticed here in Sutton they put new LGBT rainbows to be used as pedestrian crossings in certain areas a few months ago.

I immediately wrote to the local council. "Saw the new rainbow crossings. No black, I noticed. Bit racist."

They didn't respond.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 25, 2022, 08:01:46 PMYes but Claude drives a genuine racecar, while solving rock music mysteries.

I didn't intend to imply with that comma that my name is 'while solving rock music mysteries'.

Racing car, while solving rock music mysteries.