Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scrabble Challenges From Like 30 Years Ago That You Can't Let Go

Started by Dr Rock, June 26, 2022, 01:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

So before the internet, and you might only have a small dictionary to settle disputes.

I put down 'Sexer' Worth some points. 'Er, no!' 'What's a sexer??' 'Lol'

I explained that it was someone who detected the man baby chicks from the lady baby chicks, and was definitely a word. Couldn't prove it, wasn't in the dictionary, and I was seen to have been trying it on. Mocked, I was.

What an injustice, it still haunts me. Is this a phenomenon? Or just a very short thread?

bgmnts

It's happened before. Of course there are lots of legitimate archaic or slang words that are widely used but not in the dictionary which is frustrating.

However, you live and die by the dictionary in Scrabble so if it's not there you must obey the law and be thankful.

Icehaven

Many years ago my flatmate had chess on his mobile, and when he got tired of being unable to beat the phone he asked me to play but I didn't know how so he taught me the rules and we had a game. In true sitcom cliche style it quickly became apparent I was going to win (not because I was a prodigy, he was just rubbish) and mysteriously his phone battery died. He never asked me to play again.

Kankurette

Sexer is a word. Roaddog is not, no matter how much my Aussie cousin insists it is.

Mr_Simnock

Dr Rock

I should add that I was playing Sean Connery, Isabella Rosselini and Gaz Top, on Concorde, on my way to collect the Nobel Prize for Space Exploration.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

The Scrabble challenge I failed was absolutely not having any inkling that that bonnie Scottish biker lass probably hadn't invited me back to hers for a two-handed game in the early hours solely to argue about whether 'shiv' actually was a word. Or, indeed, solely to play Scrabble. This would have been 97 or so, so not quite 30 years ago; plus I wouldn't say I can't let go, but I may be a tad wistful. Shit. Wrong thread.

petril

the first rule of Scrabble is always "ask what dictionary we're playing with"

the second rule is "do not fucking start about Fight Club"

dissolute ocelot

I once played Scrabble with someone who insisted that if I thought they hadn't played a real word, I had to formally challenge them like some medieval duellist, and if I was wrong and it was in the dictionary they got 50 points. WHen I eventually bought Scrabble, I couldn't see this in the rules.

kittens

when i was first dating my girlfriend we played Scrabble in a pub and she insisted on a rule that double and triple letter score tiles could be played endlessly, even if they'd already been played on. she won due to this rule and i was so pissed off i almost ended things there and then