Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:17:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sofas

Started by Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle, June 26, 2022, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Currently in the process of buying a sofa. 

What sofa brands do you folks recommend?  Like the look of Maker&Son but they're a bit pricey.  Had a look around DFS today and they seemed OK but lots of bad reviews online and the sales staff seemed a bit pushy.

Dex Sawash

TrenterPercenter

John Lewis? (check Ebay for second hand you can generally find a bargain).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

JamesTC

I got my sofas for free as I knew someone who worked at a second hand furniture store at the time. I recommend doing this.

Buelligan

Seconded.  Got mine out of a barn, think it's in a first world war style or late victorian.  Utterly free, which was nice.  If you've got local barns, check in there.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Just get it on a credit card. If you die owing money, you've beaten the system

Crenners

John Lewis are generally great for a decent warranty and removal of your old furniture when they deliver, which is a massive help. Same for mattress, etc.

I recommend you go in and ask one of their sales people to let you know when the sale is about to drop and give you a heads up. Then you can get in early before things sell out
and they may even let you buy at sale price before it begins. I had that once for a bed frame.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If you don't mind a used one, you could try Facebook marketplace. You'll usually find a bunch of sofas going free, as long as you can haul them away.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on June 26, 2022, 08:28:59 PMCurrently in the process of buying a sofa. 

What sofa brands do you folks recommend?  Like the look of Maker&Son but they're a bit pricey.  Had a look around DFS today and they seemed OK but lots of bad reviews online and the sales staff seemed a bit pushy.

We bought a new sofa about a month ago from DFS because we found one we liked and it was half price, sofa came and is really nice and was zero fuss, so I have no complaints. Even our salesperson wasn't that pushy, but then again we were quite easy customers, just looked at it twice then bought it.

imitationleather

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 26, 2022, 09:27:09 PMWe bought a new sofa about a month ago from DFS because we found one we liked and it was half price

DFS were having a sale?!

mjwilson

I went with DFS and it was all fine, bit surprised you have to wait 3 months while they make the damn thing, but that's probably just because I was new to sofa buying.

kittens

never paid for a sofa in my life. they are free. my brother and his wife paid over 4 grand for a sofa. that's a quarter of my salary. no no no. get it for free.

imitationleather

£16k p.a.

Big boy bucks

bgmnts

Someone will usually be selling a settee or something on some website like facebook or something like that.

Blue Jam

itsfredtitmus

go the skip bring a horrid nasty thing home full of cigarette holes and make it nice with throwovers

itsfredtitmus

sit of loads on compost

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Crenners on June 26, 2022, 09:14:25 PMI recommend you go in and ask one of their sales people to let you know when the sale is about to drop and give you a heads up. Then you can get in early before things sell out
and they may even let you buy at sale price before it begins. I had that once for a bed frame.

It started on friday, or at least at the weekend.

I wouldn't normally know these things but a chatty fella told me on Thursday night and I was half listening.

IsavedLatin

I inherited my sofa when I moved in to my current place (ditto all the homes of my adult life) but I've heard very good things of Sofa.com, inc. service, longevity, etc. as well as design.

Janie Jones

Being a lifelong skip-diver and general scavenger I hate to discourage recycling/reuse but having had a bad experience myself, can I say that if you're bringing a second hand sofa into your home, watch out for bedbugs.

The Dog

Got a discount on our sofa because it had a man sitting on it. Didn't mind because it was a three seater and we only needed a two seater.

Alberon

Have a look on Freecycle. There's always sofas going on there.

Actually I have a sofa I'm getting rid of. It's got a few stains on (of what I'm not saying), but one professional clean and it'll be almost good as new.

Buelligan

Why don't you get it cleaned then, if you're that fussed?  People like you are destroying the planet.  Shit on the sofa and then throw it away?  NO.

shiftwork2

It was a settee in the lounge when I was growing up.  Then in the 90s it was a sofa in the living room.  Now it's a Chesterfield that resides in the drawing room.  I sometimes let my waft-wallah sit on it.

dissolute ocelot

I've got an Ikea one I've had for 15 years and cost about £200. Comfy.

Just don't buy from the Loaf cunts with their "slow rooms" and "Handmade in Blighty". Because they're annoying.

Alberon

Quote from: Buelligan on June 27, 2022, 10:07:31 AMWhy don't you get it cleaned then, if you're that fussed?  People like you are destroying the planet.  Shit on the sofa and then throw it away?  NO.

I am putting it on Freecycle, though it's seeming forever to go live.

Buelligan

If I had a pound for every time I'd heard that story, I could afford a new sofa.

Alberon