Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone actually work 9 to 5?

Started by notjosh, June 27, 2022, 08:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Every office job I've ever had has been 9.30am-6pm. Is Dolly Parton taking the piss or what?

Bernice

I work 9-5. I don't actually work for much of it – I'm increasingly lazy and always start late and leave early, and take incredibly long lunches. I find it hugely depressing and wish I could see a way through to work I could find remotely fulfilling.

My hours are great though.

bgmnts

Yeah all my jobs have been 9-5 or whatever deviation. Hate it.

The Culture Bunker

When at the office, I do 7.30-15.00, with a 30 minutes break. When WFH, I start a hour later so I can enjoy an extra 90 minutes in bed.

Obviously my main motivation for going in that early is both so that I can fuck off earlier, but also so that at least the first hour or so passes by in silence before everyone else turns up and irritates me with inane chatter about fuck all.

Bernice

Seriously though if anyone has any career advice that would be great. I don't want to be poor and unfulfilled forever.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I try. I have flexible working hours, so it's usually more like 9:20 to 17:30.

Pink Gregory

Always been 8-5, though the first job used to have an extra hour of breaks, which I expect was unusual, to say the least.  Even with an hour's break it feels like a lot.  Get up at 6, out the house by half 7, it's never enough

I usually go straight through and do 8-4 if I'm on the road, not that nice hanging out in a van for an hour, but then I think it's starting to fuck with me a bit.  Ah well.

shoulders

Quote from: Bernice on June 27, 2022, 08:59:42 PMSeriously though if anyone has any career advice that would be great. I don't want to be poor and unfulfilled forever.

Eventually, for whatever reason, you'll die thus avoiding that outcome.

kittens

Mobius

I work in an office but they're pretty flexible about your hours, as long as you do your hours, so I tend to work 6am - 2pm. I'm an early riser generally.

It's nice to start early because the nation is asleep, so phones aren't ringing, your annoying colleagues aren't in talking to you or sending shit unfunny memes on Microsoft Teams, and there's no queue at the coffee shops.

Then I get home at about 2:30, so have plenty of time for a big long bath, and telly/videogames and an early night so I'm not fucked at 5am the next morning.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Nope. I used to have a job delivering furniture. That could be 4:30 am - 19:00 at times lol. Then you'd be in the next day at 4:30 again. Didn't find out about the 11 hour rule until I'd nearly finished there.

Small Man Big Horse

Today was 12pm - 7pm, tomorrow will be 11am to 6pm, then the rest of the week is 12pm to 6.30pm, until Saturday which'll be 12pm - 2.30pm, and then I have Sunday off. I feel extremely lucky to have those hours too, and to work from home, and I hope it's always like this, the idea of a 9-5 where I have to travel to work fills me with dread.

dissolute ocelot

I've worked in a range of offices, but because I'm either lazy or my body clock is designed for planets with 30 hour days, generally 930 till 530 or 10 till 6 depending on when was the absolute latest we could arrive. Although my first job for a very laid-back company was more like 11-8 or even 12-9, which is fine if you have no social life outside of work.

Uncle TechTip

6pm is unusually late and I'd definitely have doubts about your motives, do the exec team also stay until 6?

nugget

Where I work we can work whatever schedule we like as long as we do 40 hours per week. I find that most of the "normal" people with families start around 7:30 and fuck off 3-4pm, but there's a few other weirdos like me who don't show up until late morning or early afternoon.

Mister Six

I do, but I'm aware of how rare and precious this thing is, and am trying to enjoy it as much as possible before the inevitable recession-triggered layoff.

Zero Gravitas

Ideally more like 09:30-5:30, depends where the meetings and rituals land, I don't cry at an earlier start but it's nice to avoid it.

Sometimes much later into the evening if it's something interesting or I know people are going to enjoy the results, but that's rare-ish at the moment.

When I was in an office as an employee I'd generally like 10/11-6 as I hate mornings and the investigations into the cyber fires, if any, are just about getting to the needing practical solutions stage by then, plus you get some quiet time at the end of the day.

I'm usually quite insistent at travelling during office hours but sometimes the clients are inhuman monsters.

If I'm travelling out on a Monday it can be horribly early but I like to make up for it with a bit of relaxing airport coffee and cigarettes on the other side.

When coming home it'll generally be a Thursday, I'll leave the client office at 1-3 ish to get a relaxed early flight back and hit Edinburgh in time for a meal out at 5 ish if Mrs ZG is free.

Rarely ever take a lunch as I'm sitting around all day, hardly the kind of activity that builds up an appetite.

dontpaintyourteeth

just done three years of working 11am-8pm, but currently unemployed

never worked in an office though

hours sound nice

turnstyle

I do 8:59 to 4:59.

FUCK THE SYSTEM.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: nugget on June 28, 2022, 12:01:21 AMWhere I work we can work whatever schedule we like as long as we do 40 hours per week. I find that most of the "normal" people with families start around 7:30 and fuck off 3-4pm, but there's a few other weirdos like me who don't show up until late morning or early afternoon.

What's annoying about this is that although flexi-time notionally doesn't care when you come in as long as you abide by the rules there is often a bit of a sneery thing from other staff where the people that come in early are seen as dedicated whereas the ones that come in a bit later are lazy bastards. It's bullshit though as I know for a fact that the early risers used to swing the lead and eat their breakfast until everyone else turned up.

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on June 28, 2022, 01:01:19 AMI'm usually quite insistent at travelling during office hours but sometimes the clients are inhuman monsters.

I've only had to go away for work a few times in about a decade so it's not a big deal but it amazes me how much some people revel in this despite the company are expecting you to travel in your own time and then stay in a dull business hotel with about as much entertainment as a borstal. Surely if you're doing this on the regs it would feel like they own your spare time as well.

I did work with someone who was registered at another office but due to nobody being able to fill the role locally, had been given a long-term role here, so the company rented them a flat and paid their meals and stuff as expenses and also the travel back at the weekends, so worked out as a nice little earner. They co-habited back where they lived so I think still had to pay that rent though.

gilbertharding

I've never, ever worked a literal 9-5. Mostly 9-5:30. One job was 8-5:30 (with the creeping expectation that we'd stay until 6:30, and work Saturday mornings with no extra pay).

At the council we had flexi-time. Several people decided their hours were better suited to starting work an hour before most other people so they could fuck off at half past four. Once or twice I had to be in early so I could drop my car off at the garage or something, so I got to observe the early starters for myself... of course they spent the first hour in the office drinking coffee and doing fuck all else.

thenoise

Quote from: Bernice on June 27, 2022, 08:59:42 PMSeriously though if anyone has any career advice that would be great. I don't want to be poor and unfulfilled forever.

So you like ... laziness, long lunches and CaB. Anything else? Only thing that comes to mind is restaurant reviewer for a broadsheet and I'm pretty sure you need a parent that works for the paper to get into that gig nowadays. That or 'already be famous'.

Dex Sawash

8a to 6p but we haven't had enough work to fill the hours since 2020 so I watch a bit of Peep Show or look at CaB sat on my work stool most days.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 28, 2022, 11:52:51 AM8a to 6p but we haven't had enough work to fill the hours since 2020 so I watch a bit of Peep Show or look at CaB sat on my work stool most days.

Do you get paid regardless? I had a VW mechanic as an acquaintance and I think they were on piecework with rates set by VW and a tricky job could see them falling below minimum wage, they might've been a bit shit though.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 28, 2022, 11:55:07 AMDo you get paid regardless? I had a VW mechanic as an acquaintance and I think they were on piecework with rates set by VW and a tricky job could see them falling below minimum wage, they might've been a bit shit though.

100% piecework. Have got almost nothing for days of work but also occasionally grind out 20 "hours" in a day. The system rewards speed and accuracy and offers some protection to the clients as they are not meant to be paying for extended time spent by learners or for mistake correction.

Have recently jacked the hours by up to 100% on 80s/90s Volvo/Saab shit nobody else knows how to work on. Got a distributor cap/rotor/plugs/wires job on an 86 240 for later this morning. Quoted 2 hours on that, spent 15 minutes checking it out and might spend 30 fixing it with a road test and a shit. If nothing breaks, I might dial it back to 1.5 hours.

Alberon

When I started work back in the late eighties I worked 8.45-5, then 8.30-5, but now I'm on 8-4 (well, technically 4.12pm) and while I have to available on the phone to 6pm I really like it. I can be home before the afternoon is finished.

idunnosomename

I work until the foreman pulls on the tail of a bird, it screams and I make a nonsense exclamation and slide down the tail of the dinosaur I am operating into my foot-driven car

It is hell

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 28, 2022, 09:30:08 AMSurely if you're doing this on the regs it would feel like they own your spare time as well.

By notional terms of work that's me every week Monday to Thursday.

Oh yeah they're paying for you being away from your family for 4 days out of the week, the majority of one's life, for the opportunity to sell your labour to someone that doesn't fancy taking on the cost and responsibility of skilled employees themselves.

Some people revel in the drinking and eating part of it, and if there's a big enough group it is pretty much eating out and drinks every night but ultimately that's a distraction from the fact that you're spending your life in a provincial Hilton that has all the charm and amenities of mid-range retirement home.

MrMrs

9-6, Monday-Friday, from home, for this total ledge