Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lightyear

Started by SteveDave, June 29, 2022, 08:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

case in point I had real ghostbusters figures in fucking aqua suits and all sorts and couldnt just get one that looked like the ones on tv and be happy for a minute

Goldentony

I look like a no pubes now that's the top reply on the page so can I just say I am a muscular footy hardnut and not some ghostbusters man

Replies From View

He'd probably have had a cameo on the angry video game nerd as well

Load of ass

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2022, 10:43:24 PMAs a kid I definitely identified more with the child Ghostbusters which is all of them apart from Venkman, that's all I'm saying.

I mean this is obviously anecdotal, and I'm basing it on myself and about three friends, but I think this means you weren't a homosexual who fancied old men when you were a child, you big weirdo.

willbo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 30, 2022, 10:13:17 PMI wouldn't say it was quite like that in my eighties childhood, I mean everyone preferred Han to Luke, Avon was the most popular character in Blake's 7, sexy bastard Venkman was the most liked Ghostbuster, we were all big A-Team fans and comics characters like Judge Dredd and Doomlord were big hits (well, the latter's first series at least, when he started liking humanity he wasn't as much fun). Sure, there are exceptions (Marty McFly, Tom Baker's Doctor was quite childlike) but I can think of plenty of other examples of eighties macho leads.

fair points. Maybe its that Buzz doesn't have a dark side or edge like those others

BritishHobo

I just saw this in the cinema and there was an advert at the start for the toys of the film, in which the climax of the film was acted out using the toys, directly spoiling the ending. Seemed fitting in a weird ouroboros way.

Mr Vegetables

I find the concept of this film depressing because somehow it being about a doubly fictional space person reminds me how bleak the real future seems. But then as a child I cried at the episode of Catch Phrase where they killed two birds with one stone

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on July 04, 2022, 02:58:38 PMI find the concept of this film depressing because somehow it being about a doubly fictional space person reminds me how bleak the real future seems. But then as a child I cried at the episode of Catch Phrase where they killed two birds with one stone

This is lovely.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 03, 2022, 10:58:52 PMI just saw this in the cinema and there was an advert at the start for the toys of the film, in which the climax of the film was acted out using the toys, directly spoiling the ending. Seemed fitting in a weird ouroboros way.

Are the Lightyear toys different to the Toy Story versions?

BritishHobo

It does raise a lot of questions, since this is meant to be the film Andy saw in 1995, which made him want the toy. Buzz has a diverse crew of space ranger pals, which people have said seems unlikely for the 1990s, until you realise Buzz and Zurg are the only toys that seem to be available in that universe. Shades of Rebecca Hall being told she can't be the villain in Iron Man 3 because kids won't buy a lady action figure. There's a reason Andy only has posters of the white space ranger on his wall.

I didn't realise until yesterday that this appears to have become another big thing in the culture wars over in America. Due to an exceptionally chaste same-sex kiss, the usual types are proclaiming it's another example of Woke Disney corrupting the youth, and its lack of success is proof that going woke means going broke. Scary how genuinely venomous and deranged these people sound because a fictional space-ranger is a woman with a wife, who she lives with on an alien planet in the far future.

It definitely isn't doing well though. I did a double-screening on Sunday, and after seeing The Black Phone in a packed-out screen, there was only one other person in the audience for this. I know it's been out a little while, but still. I think they've overestimated the audience for this film. Teenagers clearly want to see Minions, and I think adults who loved Toy Story are largely either confused by the point of this, or a bit disinterested following years of mixed-bag Pixar films, the most recent few all skipping cinemas.

Replies From View

Ant Farm Keyboard

Alt-righters are cheering about Minions 2 trouncing Lightyear at the box office, while overlooking that the minions are canonically non-binary, that there's a ton of cross-dressing, etc.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 05, 2022, 03:05:37 PMAlt-righters are cheering about Minions 2 trouncing Lightyear at the box office, while overlooking that the minions are canonically non-binary, that there's a ton of cross-dressing, etc.

And in different countries they are voiced by different actors who are probably not the same gender as, for example, Steve Carrell.

Bad Ambassador

Steve Carell is not the voice of the Minions. Pierre Coffin, who directed all the previous films, is.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 05, 2022, 03:05:37 PMAlt-righters are cheering about Minions 2 trouncing Lightyear at the box office, while overlooking that the minions are canonically non-binary, that there's a ton of cross-dressing, etc.

And what the fuck is this https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/05/teens-disrupting-minions-screenings-gentleminions-despicable-me-rise-of-gru

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I recall the manbabies tried to make that film Alita Battle Angel a big success, as part of their hate campaign against Captain Marvel. It didn't work in that case, so they pivoted to claiming the box office stats were fabricated.

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 05, 2022, 04:36:03 PMI recall the manbabies tried to make that film Alita Battle Angel a big success, as part of their hate campaign against Captain Marvel. It didn't work in that case, so they pivoted to claiming the box office stats were fabricated.

Which is odd, given that Alita is arguably a better example of a quality feminist superhero movie than hacky, clumsy Captain Marvel.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 05, 2022, 04:01:56 PMSteve Carell is not the voice of the Minions. Pierre Coffin, who directed all the previous films, is.

He plays someone in the new film - I've seen his name on the posters.

Bad Ambassador

He's the voice of Gru, the Minions' master, as he has been in three previous films over the last 15 years.

MojoJojo

There's something very hollow about this. The original Lightyear was a sort of lampshade hanging mockery of cheesy toy adverts dressed up as kids films, within a film that could be mistaken for that but was actually good.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 05, 2022, 08:37:15 PMHe's the voice of Gru, the Minions' master, as he has been in three previous films over the last 15 years.

As a childless 42 year old man there is no reason for me not to know this.

Thank you for the slap on the wrists.

Bad Ambassador

It would have taken you five seconds to look up, though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 06, 2022, 01:23:59 PMIt would have taken you five seconds to look up, though.

I didnt ask anyone a question.

Mister Six

STOP GETTING THE MINIONS WRONG.

idunnosomename

Pixar Animation Studios distraught as even the cookd and bombd forum thread is overrun with fucking minions

Replies From View

All I know about minions is that Mr Chips is hot as fuck

Pink Gregory

Weirding me out that this film has a very similar colour palette and environment design to the 2016 reboot of Doom

Know what, I really quite enjoyed that, it's a competent scifi action film with some quite good, if Disney-generic dialogue.

Of course, presented in the content funnel/culture war playing piece context that every fucking thing that comes out of Disney ends up being presented in by internet bores, it feels very ephemeral and of the moment, not really due to any fault with the film itself.  A shame.

Maybe stop putting Taika Waititi in films though, he's annoying.