Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Preparing for Winter

Started by Memorex MP3, June 29, 2022, 01:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memorex MP3

So this winter looks like it's going to be grim as fuck with energy costs and living costs in general. Have any of you been trying to pre-empt it at all? What've you done?

Currently my plan is to just fuck off to somewhere warmer for six months, which is obviously a luxury most don't have. I've got one of those heated jackets that I probably will use if I stay here because my apartment isn't at all energy efficient (although my own insulation attempts did massively improve it) and I generally don't use the heating much regardless. I'm enough of a miserable frugal cunt and I'm secure enough that I can probably transform the whole thing into a bit of a game in my head.
Really struggling to see how it doesn't lead to some level of societal collapse right now overall and don't get the impression people are bracing themselves for it yet (there's enough falling apart as it is to think about 5 months from now, I guess)

bgmnts

Just closing windows and making sure I have some layers on even in the house.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Nah. My flat's pretty well insulated, only seems to drop about 2c overnight and I can bring it back up with a modest bit of heating in the morning and leaving it off until the evening.

Also wear jumpers and have some thermal vest things (and bottoms although use them less) as they're cozy and comfortable.

Something I should look into is getting a nice pair of boots. I have a habit of fucking my trainers up in winter when it's wet and muddy everywhere so a nice pair of dark Cats or something would be pretty handy.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on June 29, 2022, 01:41:58 PMfuck off to somewhere warmer for six months

Will you be paying the rent on your apartment at home as well?

Sebastian Cobb

Also would quite like a chore jacket. Maybe a Carharrt or something, but need to exercise caution with that brand as their sizes are designed around burly tradesmen.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 29, 2022, 01:57:41 PMWill you be paying the rent on your apartment at home as well?
Absolutely not; so there's gonna be a massive downscaling associated with that too. Tbh it's kind of needed with the buildup of shite from the last two years.

gilbertharding

I'm in the middle of sorting out the insulation in our loft. Stage 1 was installing a loft ladder so my wife can also get up there. Stage 2 has been to dispose of some of the packaging for old electrical devices we kept for some reason. Stage 3 will be to bring down and sort out all the other boxed possessions which went up there years ago and haven't seen daylight since.

Then the real fun starts. The twats who owned the house before us (18 years ago) partially boarded the loft out, compressing quite a lot of the insulation down to about a quarter of the thickness it should have been - so after we've restored the insulation to the proper thickness, will have to put in spacers of some kind so we can put some kind of boarding back.

Need to do all this in the window of time when the temperature in the loft is bearable for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Getting some thermals in and an electric blanket.

Buelligan

I already have enough wood stacked to see me through to December if I'm careful.  And planning more soon when it's not so murderously hot for that kind of work.  I don't have other heating.  I have a friend in the village who's just put up solar panels himself on his roof, was toying with asking about the cost, but I know what the answer will be.  Still, no harm in asking.

shiftwork2

The dark nights are drawing in.

Buelligan

Once you're past the Soltice, matey, it's all down hill.  We're entering the domaine of the Holly King, innit?

shoulders

Everyone should keep the heating turned up or at least regulated to their satisfaction and then mass refuse to pay 👍

monkfromhavana

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 29, 2022, 02:41:48 PMThe dark nights are drawing in.

This is a joke shared between my next up brother and me. As soon as the solstice is over, he's always "that's summer finished then, everything's dying again".

must run in the family, as when I have a week off work, on the first Monday afternoon I'm basically already thinking "that's the holiday finished" even though I have another 4 days left (don't count weekends as we have those off anyway).

Buelligan

Quote from: shoulders on June 29, 2022, 02:44:20 PMEveryone should keep the heating turned up or at least regulated to their satisfaction and then mass refuse to pay 👍

I agree.  OR they should insist that taxpayers no longer fund heating for any member of the government, in their place of work, their home or vehicle.  And no travel expenses either, no more government cars or private charter planes, let them fucking walk.

If we can't afford fuel for ourselves, why the fuck should we stump up for them?

shiftwork2

Quote from: Buelligan on June 29, 2022, 02:42:46 PMOnce you're past the Soltice, matey, it's all down hill.  We're entering the domaine of the Holly King, innit?

High summer is on the horizon but, yes, it's technically correct.  I welcome in strawberries on the 22nd December.

Buelligan

Glad to hear it!  With the traditional Strawberry Prance, I'm sure.

Captain Z

A good tip I've read is to keep as many sealable jars/containers as you can and fill them with warm summer air right now. It might not seem like much, but they'll be a small relief when you open them up in 6 months' time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on June 29, 2022, 03:04:56 PMA good tip I've read is to keep as many sealable jars/containers as you can and fill them with warm summer air right now. It might not seem like much, but they'll be a small relief when you open them up in 6 months' time.

Does this also work with eggy boffs?

kittens

I will be severing my head from my body using an auto-execution device of my own devising (basically my mate Boner's band saw, modded to accelerate when contact is made with meat/human flesh)

shiftwork2

First Chris Burger, now you've got a mate called Boner.  Basically we will accept only a certain number of lies.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 29, 2022, 03:45:14 PMFirst Chris Burger, now you've got a mate called Boner.  Basically we will accept only a certain number of lies.

Keep up on your kittens-lore mate, he made an appearance in the Phil Minton thread (which I only remember because I still chuckle about it sometimes).

Quote from: kittens on July 16, 2020, 01:58:18 PMsounds like me takin a dump the morning after my mate Boner's stag

That said, I'm delighted to hear about the auto-execution device and hope he gets cracking forthwith.

Buelligan

I hope people will also put in some serious hours building up an nice velvety coat of rich silky blubber to see them through the dark times coming.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Buelligan on June 29, 2022, 04:00:28 PMI hope people will also put in some serious hours building up an nice velvety coat of rich silky blubber to see them through the dark times coming.

Shouldn't be an issue in Britain to be fair

jamiefairlie

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 29, 2022, 03:45:14 PMFirst Chris Burger, now you've got a mate called Boner.  Basically we will accept only a certain number of lies.

He's called Boner's Stag, call him by his proper name Stu

jamiefairlie

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 29, 2022, 02:45:40 PMThis is a joke shared between my next up brother and me. As soon as the solstice is over, he's always "that's summer finished then, everything's dying again".

must run in the family, as when I have a week off work, on the first Monday afternoon I'm basically already thinking "that's the holiday finished" even though I have another 4 days left (don't count weekends as we have those off anyway).

I'm that guy too. I'm either living in the past or the future and can only appreciate things in retrospect or anticipation.