Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy VII

Started by bgmnts, June 29, 2022, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

I think it took me something daft like twenty hours to get out of Midgar on my first play through, hah. So it certainly seemed extremely epic at the time. I think the longest game I'd played at that point was like, Sonic 2 or something though.

Thursday

Midgar took me 10 hours first time, it would be half the time now, even playing fairly casually.

Entirely from memory

Spoiler alert
Midgar Section

- opening Reactor
- go back to hideout
- go to another reactor
- fall and meet Aerith , take her home
- go through wall street and that whole bit
- find out the plate's going to get bombed, travel through sewers/train grave yard
- Fight Reno but the plate still gets bombed Aerith kidnapped
- Tell Aerith's mum she's been taken and find a way up the plate
- Shinra HQ and everything that happens there
- bike escape

Everything else on disc 1
- Go to Kalm, big flashback
- Get a chocobo to cross midgar zolom, go through some caves.
- (optional fort condor bit), might encounter Yuffie on this section of the map
- Go to lower Junon, fight a boss and get a dolphin to help you jump up to the higher bit
- disguise as a shinra guard and go throgh a parade, explore Junon for a bit
- get on the ship, Sephiroth/Jenova encounter
- costa del sol
- travel through, Mt Corel/reactor/train tracks to corel Barret Flashback to why everyone hates him there.
- Go to gold saucer, cait sith, get mistakenly identified as murders
- Desert Prison, Barret and Dyne, Chocobo Race to escape
- (Optional Gongaga, Turk Fight and hint about Zak's parents)
- Cosmo Canyon
- Nibelheim (Can get Vincent now if you explore the mansion)
- Nibelheim mountains
- Rocket Town, Cid
- Tiny bronco now means you can do the optional Wutai stuff
- Look for clues about temple of the ancients - go back to gold saucer
- Get the key, go on a date, Caith Sith is a spy.
- Temple of the Ancients
- Aerth is missing, go to bone village, get a key
- Forgotten city, Aerith dies.

Disc 2
- Leave Forgotten City
- Icicle Inn
- Go snowboarding
- mountain base, climbing up the north crater
- lots of shit goes down up here
- awake as Tifa in prison in Junon
- Scarlet slap fight and escape to highwind, fly around until You find Cloud in Mideel
- huge materia quests in Corel
- huge materia quest in fort condor
- go back to mideel, Tifa helps Cloud fix his brain
- every optional sidequest should be available now you have Cloud and Highwind
- huge materia quest in Junon
- huge materia quest in Rocket Town
- Revisit Bugenhagen/forgotten city for help/answers
- Diamond Weapon
- Revisit Midgar

Disc 3
- Do any other sidequests
- Descend Down
- End Boss Rush
[close]

Stigdu

I read that right up to the end. Fucking spoiler alert!!!!

Cheers, mate.

dontpaintyourteeth

Anyone got any good strategies for Emerald Weapon? I seem to be very bad at this fight now. Preferably without having to master two Final Attacks and two Knights of the Round, grinding is very boring. Weirdly Ruby was a piece of piss on this playthrough but not Emerald.

Thursday

Utter Shit

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 04, 2022, 02:39:49 PMAnyone got any good strategies for Emerald Weapon? I seem to be very bad at this fight now. Preferably without having to master two Final Attacks and two Knights of the Round, grinding is very boring. Weirdly Ruby was a piece of piss on this playthrough but not Emerald.

I remember thinking the same thing when I played it, Ruby was supposedly the more difficult of the two but I found it a long but fairly simple processiom, whereas Emerald was a bastard to clock.

Memorex MP3

I'd say Midgar is way less than half of Disc 1; the backstory bit in Kalm is pretty long by itself

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 05, 2022, 02:31:22 PMI'd say Midgar is way less than half of Disc 1; the backstory bit in Kalm is pretty long by itself

extremely shit that you can't ever choose to skip any of that Kalm flashback, it's interesting the first time but painful every subsequent time

Poobum

Remember Ruby Weapon being easy with the Hades summon. Grinding was the way I beat Emerald though I remember some weird trick where if you set your materia up right it caused an attack from Emerald to do 2222 damage, which, if at full health, would cause your party to spam lucky 7 counterattacks. Might be a myth though as I never got it to work.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 05, 2022, 03:51:51 PMextremely shit that you can't ever choose to skip any of that Kalm flashback, it's interesting the first time but painful every subsequent time
I think it wasn't even skippable in speed runs until late last year.

Thursday

I seem to remember there was some trick to making Ruby easy by having the other two party members dead. Something like Mime linked to magic counter, and Knights of the Round with HB Absorb. Does mean the other two would lose out on all the exp/ap though.

stonkers

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 05, 2022, 02:31:22 PMI'd say Midgar is way less than half of Disc 1; the backstory bit in Kalm is pretty long by itself

I'd say estimating Midgar to be 15-20% of the game, disc 1 being 50-60% is about right.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 04, 2022, 02:39:49 PMAnyone got any good strategies for Emerald Weapon? I seem to be very bad at this fight now. Preferably without having to master two Final Attacks and two Knights of the Round, grinding is very boring. Weirdly Ruby was a piece of piss on this playthrough but not Emerald.

Did the bastard right in, so I did. Killed him right in his stupid face

Poobum

Used to think Emerald Weapon was Sapphire Weapon after the Junon gun blasted its stupid head off. Still do.

Glebe

Just done Wutai and got Leviathan. Making much quicker progress than when I first played it twenty odd years ago!

oggyraiding

Playing the remake, a game I've tried to get into several times, but never made it much beyond the initial bombing mission escape. Glad I've given it another try. Obviously lots of filler, turning a 5 hour segment of FFVII into a 40 hour game, but it's enjoyable. Nice to see more character development for the AVALANCHE crew and other side characters. Highlight so far has to be Roche, already one of my fave FF characters.

dontpaintyourteeth

Recently completed this on steam including the Weapon bosses. Lots of clunky bits but enjoyable enough. Started up FF8 since. Kind of hating it in comparison tbh but at least you can make it extremely easy within about two hours.

oggyraiding

A remake of Crisis Core (the prequel to FFVII) has just come out on PC/Xbox/Playstation/Switch. It's okay. You can tell it was originally a PSP game in that the side missions last 2 minutes, perfect for a commute. I actually prefer the combat in this compared to the VII Remake.

NoSleep

Quote from: popcorn on June 30, 2022, 10:28:40 AMI am aware, however, that this has robbed me of a critical piece of video game pop culture knowledge, and I still don't really know what the fuck Sephiroth is or whatever.

NoSleep

Interesting news. There's a new mod (released 13th January), from Tsunamods, for the original FFVII game, 6 years in the making, that adds full voice acting:

https://www.gamesradar.com/this-final-fantasy-7-mod-over-six-years-in-the-making-adds-full-voice-acting-and-swearing/

This is for the PC version of the game. And this seems to be free to download when it's released in 3 days (appears to be sponsored by a small group of supporters).

And they're going to be voicing FFVIII and FFIX in the future.

https://www.tsunamods.com