Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has Anyone Been Successfully Cancelled?

Started by lazyhour, August 07, 2022, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 10, 2022, 01:44:26 PMI think Roger Waters in soon to be cancelled.

Far, far more important to cancel Drake and/or The Weeknd.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 09, 2022, 10:12:50 PMOh yes I think I was getting the two mixed up but yes it was Althusser ultimately.
Speaking of possible wife-murderers, there's also the conceptual artist Carl Andre (bricks), who was tried and acquitted for the murder of his wife, the artist Ana Mendieta. She very tragically and entirely accidentally fell out of a 34th story apartment window after the two of them had an argument. There are some people who've protested him ever after, but his works are still widely shown, and although he's kind of retired, he's not dead yet.

Mister Six

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2022, 05:51:21 PMSpeaking of possible wife-murderers, there's also the conceptual artist Carl Andre (bricks), who was tried and acquitted

Bit hard to cancel someone for a crime they didn't commit.

somersetchris

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 09, 2022, 10:42:17 AMYeah Roseanne got herself pretty cancelled. I recall some woman - Gina Carano - who played a significant role in The Mandalorian and got fired after repeating things that Donald Trump said on social media.  She's now been hired to play a role in a Republican-made biopic about Joe Biden's son, which seems less prestigious.

Roseanne is pretty much the only person I would agree has been actually cancelled. Most of the people mentioned in this thread are either actual criminals or lost one job and are still working (or in the case of someone like Michael Richards, their career was already in steep decline).

There's a difference between 'losing a job' and 'being cancelled'. Gina Carano worked for fucking Disney, and with that comes a lot of expectations about online and public behaviour. If you say the kind of racist conspiratorial shite that she said, Disney are not going to put up with it. You know that when you sign for Disney. Apparently she was warned repeatedly about her behaviour, she didn't wake up one day and find herself sacked. She chose to get on board the Trump train and go down the right wing grifter route. I'm sure other people in similar positions could get work but Carano is not a good actor by any stretch, she's a former MMA fighter who can just about memorise lines. Apparently her role in Deadpool had to be cut down because her acting was so awful. Admittedly she was better in the Mandalorian.

Same with James Gunn - he wasn't cancelled, he was fired from a Disney job because of some reprehensible jokes he made 15 years ago, and immediately found employment elsewhere. And was then re-hired by Disney. In his case I'd say both parties were at fault - if you're a former edgelord, delete your fucking Twitter history before you work for Disney. If you're Disney, do your homework. This was not new information, Gunn has addressed many times the edgelord behaviour of his youth.

Most of the people in Hollywood who've done awful stuff might lose the odd job, but they're still working. Mel Gibson, Woody Allen, Mark Whalberg, being a shitty human doesn't generally stop you working in Hollywood, but it might lose you a family franchise or two.

somersetchris

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2022, 08:17:25 PMMaybe some people won't consider it proper cancellation, because she's probably still got a career somewhere, but it does seem like we need to set some kind of moratorium up for tweets or social media posts made much earlier, especially when the offender was basically a child.

An important lesson in deleting your fucking Twitter history.

Mister Six

Quote from: somersetchris on August 11, 2022, 09:02:57 PMAn important lesson in deleting your fucking Twitter history.

That's like saying people in abusive relationships should try not to upset their partners. You're blaming the wrong party.

JesusAndYourBush

One of the earliest cancellations is probably Fanny Cradock in 1976. On a tv show she was rude and belittling to someone who'd done some cooking and came over as a real nasty piece of work.  Her series was cancelled and she disappeared off the screens.

Brundle-Fly

Years ago, didn't Tom Baker once confess that he tried to murder his mother-in-law with a gardening tool? I'm surprised that hasn't had him retro cancelled. One law for Liam Neeson, another one for Tom.

thenoise

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 11, 2022, 10:05:34 PMOne of the earliest cancellations is probably Fanny Cradock in 1976. On a tv show she was rude and belittling to someone who'd done some cooking and came over as a real nasty piece of work.  Her series was cancelled and she disappeared off the screens.
Fanny at her patronising best.

buttgammon

Quote from: thenoise on August 11, 2022, 11:28:38 PMFanny at her patronising best.

That's absolutely savage. At least there is a degree of justice in the ultimate humiliation being served to Craddock herself.

She's also very wrong about duck and blackberry, I've eaten it and it's what she might call a divine combination.

Kankurette

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2022, 08:17:25 PMI'm also reminded of this story, about a black woman who stepped down from her new position as editor of Teen Vogue because another journo - I think safe to assume someone with a bone to pick, possibly who was also in contention for the job - brought up anti-Asian racist (and also homophobic) tweets that she had made when she was 17.
Shades of Mason Holgate. He accused Firmino of calling him a n*****, he had Liverpool fans combing his tweets and discovering he'd posted some homophobic stuff when he was a teen. Same thing happened to Andre Gray, I think? I'm not condoning homophobia but FFS, going through tweets looking for something to be mad at because the guy thought one of your players called him a vile word?

On the subject of football, has Matt Le Tissier been cancelled now? He got sacked from Sky, is no longer Southampton's ambassador and only gets gigs on GB News.

Fr.Bigley

Jerry Sadowitz just been cancelled. Weirdly, and more disconcerting, is that apparently he wasn't getting complaints from the punters, but the staff of the Pleasance theatre.

Zetetic

I don't think that's so weird on the face of it. My limited experience of Sadowitz was very bound up with the feeling of going to see something half-hidden and aggressively alienating. I still don't really know what I think about the "acceptability" of his act, but it felt more tolerable because I felt so separated from it.

I can imagine that it could be rather different if you're exposed to it, with less warning and choice, in a place that you identify as partly you're own.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Kankurette on August 13, 2022, 01:53:18 AMOn the subject of football, has Matt Le Tissier been cancelled now? He got sacked from Sky, is no longer Southampton's ambassador and only gets gigs on GB News.
Le Tissier is definitely working a lot less than he used to. The final straw seemed to be criticising Ukraine and accusing the media of lying about the war, rather than his COVID fun opinions. I'm not sure anyone in the UK has actually been cancelled purely for COVID denialism, but maybe there's someone I'm not thinking of.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2022, 05:34:22 PMPleasance have pulled Sadowicz' show https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62533592

And yet, the foul-mouthed impressionist, Peter Serafinowitz is still performing at the venue.

buttgammon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 14, 2022, 01:13:42 PMLe Tissier is definitely working a lot less than he used to. The final straw seemed to be criticising Ukraine and accusing the media of lying about the war, rather than his COVID fun opinions. I'm not sure anyone in the UK has actually been cancelled purely for COVID denialism, but maybe there's someone I'm not thinking of.

I wonder if that's because covid denial is so often comorbid with other stupid and offensive viewpoints so they get cancelled for other reasons or something else.

JaDanketies

Might be too late for the guy from the Corrs to get cancelled

cacciaguida

Don't really think Sadowitz has a leg to stand on...

You can't just say "oh it's my schtick to throw around racist slurs and get my penis out whenever I want on stage", especially when people may have just turned up at random without knowing much about him

somersetchris

Quote from: Mister Six on August 11, 2022, 09:42:32 PMThat's like saying people in abusive relationships should try not to upset their partners. You're blaming the wrong party.

It's not at all like that, it's the literal opposite. The examples given are saying racist or homophobic stuff in youth, which you then grow out of. So if you've grown out of it, DELETE IT.

Kankurette

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 14, 2022, 01:13:42 PMLe Tissier is definitely working a lot less than he used to. The final straw seemed to be criticising Ukraine and accusing the media of lying about the war, rather than his COVID fun opinions. I'm not sure anyone in the UK has actually been cancelled purely for COVID denialism, but maybe there's someone I'm not thinking of.
It was definitely the Bucha denial. Like, the COVID bananery was annoying but I think Southampton and their fans were prepared to accept it cos let's face it, loads of footballers are stupid about COVID. But denying a war crime is just beyond crazy.

Tangent: he was also obsessed with Hunter Biden's laptop and how the media never published the TRUF. Why are Trumpers always going on about it?

Mister Six

Quote from: somersetchris on August 14, 2022, 11:31:51 PMIt's not at all like that, it's the literal opposite. The examples given are saying racist or homophobic stuff in youth, which you then grow out of. So if you've grown out of it, DELETE IT.

Why blame them for not deleting a 10 year old tweet that they probably forgot they made rather than the people trying to hang them for it?

Mister Six

Quote from: cacciaguida on August 14, 2022, 09:31:13 PMDon't really think Sadowitz has a leg to stand on...

You can't just say "oh it's my schtick to throw around racist slurs and get my penis out whenever I want on stage", especially when people may have just turned up at random without knowing much about him

Disagree with that. Artists should be able to do pretty much anything they like within the limits of the law. If you didn't do your research, tough tits.

There should be some kind of notice before the event, but I imagine most venues do that kind of thing anyway. "Contains strobing lights and a sweaty Scotsman's cock."

Yussef Dent

I don't think Roxanne Pallett has done anything since the Celebrity Big Brother scandal. After it happened, loads of former colleagues of her on social media revealed she'd done similar things in the past.

Quote from: Yussef Dent on August 15, 2022, 01:59:51 AMI don't think Roxanne Pallett has done anything since the Celebrity Big Brother scandal. After it happened, loads of former colleagues of her on social media revealed she'd done similar things in the past.

Roxanne's unpalletable.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 10, 2022, 01:44:26 PMI think Roger Waters in soon to be cancelled.

He's cancelled to me now at least. Used to like him most out of the Floyd purely because his work seemed to have an edge that Gilmour et al's didn't. But now I just think they're all sods except maybe Rick Wright (who is dead) and Nick Mason (who is not).

The Bumlord

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 15, 2022, 07:08:54 AMHe's cancelled to me now at least. Used to like him most out of the Floyd purely because his work seemed to have an edge that Gilmour et al's didn't. But now I just think they're all sods except maybe Rick Wright (who is dead) and Nick Mason (who is not).

Nick's always seemed a GBOL, driving around in his silly cars with his nice white formal shirt tucked into his jeans and occasionally hitting a drum or two.

lazyhour

So, just to recap - who has been identified as having pretty much lost their career/public voice for something other than racism, homophobia, violence or sexual abuse? In other words, for 'just having an opinion' - as cancel-culture anti-woke whingers claim happens all the time.

Le Tissier and the Trumpy wrestling lady, at a push?

Roseanne was kicked off her own show for a racist tweet btw, not for her general Trumpiness.

Who have I missed? Don't seem to be many, do there?

Brundle-Fly

To me, for that reason 'cancelling' is such a nebulous term. I go with Jon Ronson's definition: 'public shaming' or 'being judged by strangers'