Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Has Anyone Been Successfully Cancelled?

Started by lazyhour, August 07, 2022, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 15, 2022, 05:19:28 PMAt long last this has a name, I do agree but I'm extremely cautious against anthropologising or sociologising it

It's the only way of explaining it - it's impossible to truly get your head around it otherwise.

I don't really want to go back to our previous argument but people have individual psychologies that react to environments, these interactions incentivises and inhibit other peoples behaviour. 

Profilicity is only new due to some of the things the internet allows people to do i.e. to build and manage profiles.  These act as avatars and conditions of which such avatars are tied to the real person having a major impact on how they are used.

Video Game Fan 2000

I agree, its pointless to argue about methodology since the important point is that something exists (profilicity, not cancel culture) and its good that now people agree it exists when they used to be resistant. But to be clear my position is caution rather than the other guys are all wrong its my way or the high way. my partner did work in a related area ages ago that was never concluded, so its good not to feel like a mental cassandra now that something is taken seriously when previously the attitude was scorn at worst eye rolls at best

but issues with method are relevant elsewhere and I'll probably find an excuse to be extremely annoying and pendantic about it elsewhere and dump a bunch of sources no one cares about

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 15, 2022, 05:10:29 PMI don't think many people are consciously doing this, it is much more to do with group dynamics colliding with the online environment.  The internet provides us with an editable profile and audience of strangers, we can say I've never done "X" and no one can prove otherwise, which means hypocrisy can be a untraceable crime but more importantly to game your audience their are incentives to profess your moral elitism and the best way to do this is to destroy someone else.  It's a terribly basic human thing to do hence why it is disappointing that it is so popular with certain sections of the online left. 

Profilicity is the best explanation so far.

This is very well put, imo.

Kankurette

VGF, that's why the tenderqueers and puriteens never go after 4chan types or anyone who could and would fight back. They go after soft targets. They eat their own. They know some young, naive YA writer from a marginalised background who's desperate not to do anything problematic isn't going to give them hell.
Quote from: JaDanketies on August 15, 2022, 04:07:28 PMJade Goody was pretty ruined by the whole Shilpa Shetty racism row. Brief bubble of public sympathy for having terminal cancer and dying at 27 years old. 7 years in the spotlight. Mocked, brief and momentary adulation, reviled, sympathy and then dead.
I never got how or why Jade Goody became such a massive celebrity. She didn't even win Big Brother 3, she came third or fourth, but she was the one getting all the interviews and she even had a TV show where some poor sod had to be her personal assistant. And she went on Celebrity Big Brother and the row with Shilpa Shetty happened and while Goody was racist (and incapable of producing the name 'Shetty', she called her Shilpa Poppadom, Shilpa Fuckawalla etc.), she wasn't the only one. Danielle Lloyd and Jo O'Meara were just as bad. Lloyd said 'why doesn't she fuck off home' and stuff like that. But to read about it you'd think Goody was the only one doing it. And then she got cancer and the same hypocritical journalists calling her a stupid fat slag were all over her and treating her like Princess Di.