Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:39:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Should Have Been Cancelled Forever But Wasn't?

Started by Dr Rock, August 09, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Jerry Lee Lewis. And I've just read that he's still alive, so there's still time to throw the book at him. But it was the '50s and marrying your 13-year-old cousin while in your mid 20s was just considered good manners.

Sebastian Cobb

most of the cunts that whinge about being cancelled on their new media gig, but especially Jeremy Kyle.

famethrowa

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2022, 09:19:13 PMI do feel a bit sorry for Gibson because he had a horrific childhood and was a fucking mess, and I think he should be able to clean himself up and redeem himself (and Jodie Foster and others have vouched for him as a safe figure on set). But I'll admit that I'm inspired in part by the fact that I admire him as a director and want to see what else he can make.

Did he have a tough childhood? I know his dad was an ultra extremist catholic type, but I thought he had a fairly ordinary life in Sydney. I just assumed his problems were from being a spoiled rich mouthy brat, much like Russ Crowe.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I just looked him up because I always assumed his name was Melvin. Turns out his birth name is actually just "Mel".

Mister Six

Quote from: famethrowa on August 10, 2022, 01:13:22 AMDid he have a tough childhood? I know his dad was an ultra extremist catholic type, but I thought he had a fairly ordinary life in Sydney. I just assumed his problems were from being a spoiled rich mouthy brat, much like Russ Crowe.

His dad was an overbearing lunatic with insanely antisemitic views and his family were pretty poor. He didn't grow up a rich kid.

Still baffled that Trump's time in the public eye didn't end at this precise moment, let alone that he went on to win the fucking thing.

The USA is a failed state.

Ian Drunken Smurf

shoulders

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 10, 2022, 06:07:53 AMStill baffled that Trump's time in the public eye didn't end at this precise moment, let alone that he went on to win the fucking thing.

The USA is a failed state.

Agreed. That it didn't even come close to ruining him shows that tyrants and bullies are not an aberration but a feature of any sort of system of government, democracy included.

Trump, Duturte, Johnson etc all inverted etiquette and conventions in a way that reinforced their maverick image. Remarkably stuff like this actually solidified their support.

The Mollusk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 09, 2022, 09:07:17 PMSnoop Doggy Dog was in trouble for murder and named an album after it or something. Again, no hinderance to his career. The rap industry actually prefers if you're a drug dealer and murderer. If you've done some prison time even better. You'll come across as more authentic.

https://hiphophero.com/snoop-dogg-no-regrets-misogynistic-lyrics/

This leaves a bad taste as well. I mean I'm not sure whether there would have honestly been any notable backlash in the media at all specifically regarding the misogyny in hip hop 20 years ago or whatever, and coupled with what back then at least was just another extremely contained boys club it's hard to say whether or not he genuinely wouldn't have had any outside influence tell him what he was saying was wrong. But to say he doesn't regret it or have any shame about it is weak and frankly stupid and says more about him as the misogynist he continues to be as opposed to the enlightened person he claims to have become. "You can't make mistakes if you don't know you're making them" is basically his excuse. Grow up dickhead.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2022, 06:49:30 AMhttps://hiphophero.com/snoop-dogg-no-regrets-misogynistic-lyrics/

This leaves a bad taste as well. I mean I'm not sure whether there would have honestly been any notable backlash in the media at all specifically regarding the misogyny in hip hop 20 years ago or whatever, and coupled with what back then at least was just another extremely contained boys club it's hard to say whether or not he genuinely wouldn't have had any outside influence tell him what he was saying was wrong. But to say he doesn't regret it or have any shame about it is weak and frankly stupid and says more about him as the misogynist he continues to be as opposed to the enlightened person he claims to have become. "You can't make mistakes if you don't know you're making them" is basically his excuse. Grow up dickhead.

Dr Dre deserves it more for beating the shit out of Dee Barnes at a record release party for basically reporting on the beef between NWA and Ice Cube in a way he didn't like, she then got blacklisted from the rap industry.

There's also some domestic violence accusations from Michel'le and Tairrie B claims he assaulted her at a post-grammy party in response to her track Ruthless Bitch.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 05:42:40 PMThrobbing Gristle and related bands

I went to a Cosey Fanni Tutti book reading some years back, and midway through some people did actually interrupt her to accuse of her being complicit in some very dodgy goings on in the industrial scene (can't remember exactly what). That group left quite angrily when she replied that she hadn't been involved or present in any way

Donnas Cakes

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on August 09, 2022, 06:14:55 PMMark E Smith is a good shout, treated like a living walking legend by all the otherwise right-on indie press well after the metoo era, with scant mention of him physically assaulting his girlfriend so badly that it got him arrested. And his assorted other cuntery

My loathing of him was made easier for me, as I failed to see the attraction of his daft band. A friend of mine used to work (many years ago) in North Manchester General Hospital and Mark 'E' use to be a regular attender, pitching up at all hours shaking, trembling, sweating and gurning and his heart going at 150+. Legendary bravado being noticeable by its absence.

mrpupkin

David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones. The latter were still selling merch making light of their having been former child rapists in the fucking 1990s, when they were all in their 50s. State of the uncancelled cunts.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 10, 2022, 08:38:12 AMI went to a Cosey Fanni Tutti book reading some years back, and midway through some people did actually interrupt her to accuse of her being complicit in some very dodgy goings on in the industrial scene (can't remember exactly what). That group left quite angrily when she replied that she hadn't been involved or present in any way

Didn't Genesis P'Orridge nearly kill someone by lobbing half a paving slab at them or something?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2022, 09:23:51 AMDidn't Genesis P'Orridge nearly kill someone by lobbing half a paving slab at them or something?

Yeah that was Cosey. She talked about that too, rather shockingly candid in her Marsha from Spaced monotone.

Kankurette

Gazza, but tbh he's doing a good job about cancelling himself. Also Ronaldo, but it's never going to happen.
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PMwhat about tricking Erykah Badu to appearing one of his gunge fetish videos
Didn't she get really angry about that?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 10, 2022, 09:12:49 AMDavid Bowie, Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones. The latter were still selling merch making light of their having been former child rapists in the fucking 1990s, when they were all in their 50s. State of the uncancelled cunts.

what merch is this

Kankurette

And yes, Ladykillers is about Kiedis. They even had a lookalike in the video.

RicoMNKN

Ian Brown for his homophobic conspiracy theories and air rage.

Not sure if he's now cancelled for his anti-vax stance, but that seems more about being thick than being a horrible shit.

Kankurette

He should be cancelled for crimes against music.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2022, 08:32:23 AMDr Dre deserves it more for beating the shit out of Dee Barnes at a record release party for basically reporting on the beef between NWA and Ice Cube in a way he didn't like, she then got blacklisted from the rap industry.

There's also some domestic violence accusations from Michel'le and Tairrie B claims he assaulted her at a post-grammy party in response to her track Ruthless Bitch.

Oh yeah FWIW I have no time for that cunt

lipsink

John Peel boasted about getting blowjobs from underage girls when he was in his 20s. He married his first wife when she was 15 and he was 25. Still, great tunes though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 09, 2022, 08:56:45 PMTo be fair, Mel...

Did you hear that phone tap of him manipulating and berating his wife/girlfriend? It's really quite amazing.

"I told you to blow me BEFORE THE JACUZZI!!!"

He's a complete fucking psycho and it really shows the rarefied air these people are breathing. Every whim, sexual or otherwise, must be catered to immediately or they're throw a fucking fit.

Even as a joke I wouldn't defend Gibson. He's a religious extremist, holocaust denier (or at least his dad was), alcoholic and all round nutcase that would most likely be in prison if he wasn't rich and famous.

lazyhour

Quote from: Kankurette on August 10, 2022, 09:42:07 AMAnd yes, Ladykillers is about Kiedis. They even had a lookalike in the video.

Isn't it about the (dyed?) blonde guy from Weezer and The Rentals?

Edit: quick Google, apparently they get a verse each.

Bently Sheds

Cheryl Cole. Battered a 39 year old lavatory attendant because she couldn't get a free lollipop. Imagine being so up yerself that you'd do that over a boiled sweet on a stick.

Then that pathetic campaign to get her recognised as "The Nation's Sweetheart" on the X Factor. Then, after that failed, dropping her surname - as if she's as important an artist as Prince or Madonna or Bergerac.

Kankurette

Is she Cole, Tweedy or Fernandez-Versini now?

And yeah, awful lot of whitewashing of her racism. I know she gets a lot of shit from the tabloids and Ashley Cole was rotten to her but that doesn't excuse beating up a toilet attendant and abusing her for being black.