Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Questions about riding a bike

Started by DeezNuts, August 11, 2022, 01:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeezNuts

So I've finally got round to relearning how to ride a bike and I've got a few questions.

1) How do I go over speedbumps without having to lose basically all of my momentum?#
2) How do I break when going really fast without doing a sharp break?

If you could help with this I'd be very thanful!

Neomod

1) Don't most speedbumps have gaps in em' for bikes (they do round our way).
2) Rear brake before front brake, then you won't go over the handlebars.

Alberon

Another good tip is to never ride a bike like this.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Alberon on August 11, 2022, 12:10:36 PMAnother good tip is to never ride a bike like this.

Disagree, I think Deeznutz should ALWAYS ride a bike like this.

Inspector Norse

1) You don't go over speedbumps without losing all your momentum. Making people lose momentum is speedbumps' raison d'etre. If you want to keep your momentum, you should go past the speedbumps.
2) Treat the brake as you would a wah-wah pedal. Squeeze lightly for just a little funkiness, squeeze hard when you want a good old squeal.

buzby

1) For full-width speedbumps without a gap, you will lose some momentum, but the best way to ride over them is to get out of the saddle and stand on the pedals and pull up on the handlebars to 'lift' the front wheel slighly (not a wheelie, the same as you would do to mount a kerb), you can then absorbing the up and down motion with your knees  (similar to how BMX racers take whoops).

2) As others have said, lead with the rear brake first so you don't go over the handlebars, and modulate your braking - pull gently at first, then as you begin to slow increase the force on the levers. If you feel like it's going to lock up and skid, release the pressure slightly befroe gently reapplying it (this is what the ABS computer does in a car).

Marner and Me

If you stand up on the pedals and put your weight over the rear wheel you can use the front brake to stop sharply and suddenly too. Used mainly for downhill mountain biking as you have more control of the bike, using the rear brake will cause skidding. 

Norton Canes

TBH I'd say if you've just come back to cycling an aren't 100% confident then don't worry about losing momentum over speed bumps, in fact it's a good thing - lower velocity = less chance of losing road handling

As for slowing down quickly, yeah, pull on the rear brake gently, but also try to make sure you're not going too fast in the first place

Butchers Blind

1) Ride on pavement

2) Brakes are for losers, use your feet.

If you really want to "break", as you put it, try cycling down an indoor ski slope with no helmet.

Neomod

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 11, 2022, 01:40:09 PMIf you stand up on the pedals and put your weight over the rear wheel you can use the front brake to stop sharply and suddenly too. Used mainly for downhill mountain biking as you have more control of the bike, using the rear brake will cause skidding. 

I've watched a fair few mountain bike vids and they are always going arse over tit/breaking spines/losing teeth so can you point me in the direction of a vid where someone uses this technique successfully cause it doesn't sound logical.

I say this with the caveat that I couldn't fathom how the top riders in the Megavalanche were all keeping upright in the snow.

DeezNuts

Most helpful thread on this site lmao

Brian Freeze

I seen my mate ride no handed over a speed bump while pilled up.

Or rather - I saw my mate attempt to . . . . etc