Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Can't claim credit for this one as I heard it on RHLSTP. Apparently if you add the year of your birth to how old you turn this year it always makes this year 2020. So if you born in 1970 this year you turn 50 born in 1980 this year you tun 40 with each adding up to 2020. Works for everyone!

Only happens to every couple of hundred years so enjoy having your hats fucked.

kalowski

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 24, 2020, 10:22:44 PM
Can't claim credit for this one as I heard it on RHLSTP. Apparently if you add the year of your birth to how old you turn this year it always makes this year 2020. So if you born in 1970 this year you turn 50 born in 1980 this year you tun 40 with each adding up to 2020. Works for everyone!

Weirdly enough I was 10 in 1981 and born in 1971.
If you add 10 to 1971 you get 1981.

Wait a minute!!!!

Tony Tony Tony

Just realised this works for every year as all I am doing is adding the year of birth to the number of years that have passed to give the current year.

Turns out I am an idiot and Richard Herring is a cunt.

touchingcloth

kalowski

It's as if it happens for every year in existence and those yet to come.

Who'd a thunk it?

Hand Solo

Someone mentioned this stupid fucking trick to me the other week and I pointed out how dumb it was, your age plus the year you were born obviously equal the current year, I think it's been floating around on Facebook which is why it's made a resurgence. The old one I remember is you did the same trick but you added a few more steps to complicate the mechanics of what's going on, turns out these days just the bare bones fools most people if they're arithmethick.

touchingcloth

There's a Chinese poem which is pronounced as:

Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.

But which due to the language being heavily reliant on inflections translates as:

QuoteThere was a poet named Mr. Shi who lives in a stone den. He liked to eat lions, and vowed to eat ten lions. Therefore Mr. Shi would usually visit the market to look for lions. At 10 o'clock exactly ten lions just arrived at the market. At that very moment, Mr. Shi shot a few arrows from his bow and killed those ten lions. Mr. Shi then brought the ten dead lions back to his stone den. Because the den might be too wet to store the lions. So he ordered his servant to clean and dry the den. After the den was cleaned, Mr. Shi started to try to eat those ten lions. However, only until he was eating the lions he found out that those ten dead lions were actually ten stone lions. Would you try to explain what was happening?

Hand Solo

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2020, 11:04:36 PM
There's a Chinese poem which is pronounced as:

Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.

The perfect poem for the Covid19 kids!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2020, 07:55:08 PM
Thanks for the tip about AA lithiums - I'll check them out for my camera flashes which I use just often enough for the batteries to have run themselves dead in the bag, so it'd be nice to not have to charge them every single time I use them.

Are delta peak chargers different to Ni-MH ones? I can picture delta symbols on one of my chargers and I think they all have separate monitors for each cell (well, one charger seems to only charge and monitor in pairs).

Are you taking pictures on film by any chance? The only time I've ever not had to charge batteries for a camera is because it's had a lithium battery lurking in it for the exposure meter.

The li-ons for my camera have always been flat, and are probably now fucked.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2020, 11:04:36 PM

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 24, 2020, 11:17:37 PM
Are you taking pictures on film by any chance? The only time I've ever not had to charge batteries for a camera is because it's had a lithium battery lurking in it for the exposure meter.

The li-ons for my camera have always been flat, and are probably now fucked.

Nope, digital. The longest I go without ever getting any of them out is probably about six months, but they always come out with a big chunk of charge left.

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 14, 2020, 12:10:33 PM
A 'hobbit' is an old Welsh unit of volume or weight

An old unit of measurement (which isn't made up) is the ell, the total length of the forearm and extended hand.

Therefore, the word 'elbow' is the 'bow' in the 'ell', i.e. the bend in the forearm.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 24, 2020, 10:22:44 PM

Sweet Jesus. Your brain must be operating on all sorts of different levels not to instantly see through that. What special powers have you got?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 25, 2020, 06:53:08 AM
Sweet Jesus. Your brain must be operating on all sorts of different levels not to instantly see through that. What special powers have you got?

I can eat vast quantities of ice cream without being sick.

Cerys

You might want to be careful doing that.  A mate of mine froze his stomach by eating one too many tubs of Cherry Garcia and now has to have it regularly excoriated to remove the ongoing necrosis.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cerys on July 25, 2020, 12:07:40 PM
You might want to be careful doing that.  A mate of mine froze his stomach by eating one too many tubs of Cherry Garcia and now has to have it regularly excoriated to remove the ongoing necrosis.

Marc Almond once ate so much ice cream he had to have his stomach pumped and try found fifty different Ben & Jerry's flavours in there.

Tony Tony Tony

jenna appleseed

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on July 26, 2020, 07:05:33 PM
But what if all you need is a knife?

I was in that situation once, but ironically all I had was £5,000 worth of spoons.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2020, 07:55:08 PM
Are delta peak chargers different to Ni-MH ones? I can picture delta symbols on one of my chargers and I think they all have separate monitors for each cell (well, one charger seems to only charge and monitor in pairs).
Intelligent Delta-Peak chargers can be used on most kinds of rechargable cells, the only difference between chemistry types are the maximum charge rate (and the requirement for temperarure monitoring in the case of Li-ion). Eneloops have a lower max charge rate than normal NiMH so it depends on the charger. Monitoring in pairs isn't ideal either, as it can lead to backfeeding of current between the cells if they have differing capacities.

Mr Banlon

Gulftastic

In Australia and New Zealand, Airplane! is called 'Flying High!' because they were worried about people being confused with 'The Concord Airport 79'.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 28, 2020, 05:42:03 PM
Did not know BBC had a pidgin-English News service. Me dun not know bout dat.
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-53568290

Is this a wind up?

Kanye West: Di America Rapper don tok sorry to im wife Kim Kardashian afta dem dry dia cloth for public

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-53542634