Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite Velvet Underground album?

Started by kalowski, July 16, 2021, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on July 19, 2021, 12:33:25 PM
If you like Loaded and Doug Yule's stuff on there, absolutely. It's more of the same really.

Except nowhere near as good, because none of the songs were written by Lou Reed. But it's still an enjoyable early '70s pop-rock album, and certainly doesn't deserve its reputation as an embarrassing misfire.

I supect that consensus came about due to people objecting to the very idea of the thing without ever having actually heard it. Now that it's easily obtainable, we can all hear it for what it is - an inoffensive Doug Yule solo record.

druss

Nico, although I'm not sure I could listen to it these days due to memories of being off my nut listening to it.

Famous Mortimer

Aside from the hits, I can't stand any of the post White Light VU records, but then again I've not tried to listen to any of them in donkey's.

kalowski

Quote from: sutin on July 19, 2021, 12:34:19 PM
Squeeze is good.
Well, Squeeze is not as bad as you might as expect, but I don't know if I'd go as far as "good".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 19, 2021, 02:43:51 PM
Aside from the hits, I can't stand any of the post White Light VU records, but then again I've not tried to listen to any of them in donkey's.

1969: The Velvet Underground Live is an amazing record. That nine minute version of What Goes On - utterly blissful rhythm and groove. So if you fancy revisiting the VU's post-Cale output, I recommend that album.

good times

Started off as White Light/White Heat when I was a try hard teenager, became their third album as I turned into a pretentious twenty something then snapped back to their debut when I became a realistic, cynical thirty something. It's just got too many fantastic tunes and too much originality to be seriously placed below either of the others. Oh, and it's got Nico - that always helps.

Of the first three the one I'd now rate the lowest is White Light/White Heat, the opening track is mint but The Gift really grates nowadays, coming across even as a bit twee almost. Sister Ray is a tune, but I'm not massively into sitting through 20 minute songs no matter how great they are.

The third album is an 8.5/10 and if it was by anyone else would probably be their best album, it just so happens to be by the same band who made the Velvet Underground & Nico so comes off second best.

I've never properly listened to Loaded but probably should since I've been a fan of the band for about twenty years. Same applies to VU even thought it has about 5 of my favourite Velvets song on it.

Quote from: good times on July 20, 2021, 09:57:10 AM

I've never properly listened to Loaded but probably should since I've been a fan of the band for about twenty years. Same applies to VU even thought it has about 5 of my favourite Velvets song on it.
VU's probably my favourite Velvets album these days, along with the first one.  I'm always surprised how highly-thought-of Loaded is - apart from Train Round The Bend (which I'd like to nominate as their most under-rated track, a new thread idea maybe?) it's just not for me (along with Live At Max's Kansas City).

I agree with the post upthread about What Goes On though - I've always thought a great DJ set would be the third album version followed by the Live 1969 version followed by the third album version followed by the Live 1969 version followed by....etc, over and over again all night.  It wouldn't get boring.

kalowski

I'm listening to Loaded right now, and it's a joy. Sweet Jane at the moment. Delightful. The guitar sound is what makes it.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 20, 2021, 11:28:32 AM
I agree with the post upthread about What Goes On though - I've always thought a great DJ set would be the third album version followed by the Live 1969 version followed by the third album version followed by the Live 1969 version followed by....etc, over and over again all night.  It wouldn't get boring.

You wouldn't be able to get me off the dance floor that night.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Been listening to VU&N today and there is definitely an audible difference between my stereo MGM issue (banana) and this original UK mono mis-pressing (with wrong number on the B side label)

kalowski

jobotic

Quote from: kalowski on July 29, 2021, 07:27:08 PM
I don't need to hear anything on this.

Totally agree.

(Actually I do need to hear Bobby Gillespie singing Heroin. For looking at a car crash thrills. Or reading what Brendan O'Niell has to say to make myself angry larks.

I reckon it could rival Primal Scream's Some Velvet Morning for sheer repulsiveness.)

SteveDave

Quote from: kalowski on July 29, 2021, 07:27:08 PM
I don't need to hear anything on this.

Do you not want to hear him from The National singing "Waiting For The Man"? I can only imagine the man in question is his ex-wife's new fella, dropping off the kids for the weekend.

Head Gardener

sardines

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 29, 2021, 06:13:33 PM
Been listening to VU&N today and there is definitely an audible difference between my stereo MGM issue (banana) and this original UK mono mis-pressing (with wrong number on the B side label)

Show off! That's a few hundred quid worth, no?

Head Gardener

Quote from: sardines on July 30, 2021, 04:37:38 PM
Show off! That's a few hundred quid worth, no?
. Yeah probably, but would never sell it and some may have not seen this version before