Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Film Talk Podcast

Started by HodgerMccodger, September 03, 2014, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Film Talk Podcast has ended,

This may be a topic of limited interest, as I only know of one other person on here who listens to it, but I thought this was a brilliant podcast and was very sad to hear that it was going to end.

I wondered if many others listened to it and whether they will be subscribing to Jett Loe's new multi-media Film review thing (which sounds very ambitious but also quite pricey),

The day I decided I wasn't going to bother downloading Mark Kermode's show anymore (due to Simon Mayo's relentless reading out of sycophantic emails)- I find out the Film Talk is ending

Alternatively (if this is too niche) are there any film review podcasts that people would recommend,

Sam

TFT really was excellent. It's a credit to them that they juggled full time jobs in creative industries (Loe is a professional photographer, has been a director, and has lots of side projects; Higgins lectures as well as giving tons of other talks and conferences, whilst also writing books) and the podcast.

It was totally independent, never pushed an agenda, and was free to say anything about anyone without being precious about their careers or offending networks, as with other professional podcasts like the BBC.

They chose only a couple of films to talk about each time, everything from classics, art house, Oscar-bait and mindless blockbusters. Their critique of the latter was much more thorough and damning than the likes of Kermode with his lazy long-winded polemics. Loe in particular is brilliantly cynical about the film industry.

Higgins has a very compassionate world view and really opened my eyes to how the myth of redemptive violence plays out in narratives. He's really interest in conflict and peaceful resolution and his spiritual reading of films is always very grounded and humanistic.

Loe is also really passionate about Tarkovsky and film grammar and has a lot more technical knowledge than your average film reviewer.

I recently bought their archive for 20 dollars which is really reasonable for gigs and gigs of great shows and interviews. For example their interview with Coppola goes into really interesting areas while never once mentioning The Godfather or Apocalypse Now.

So if you're fairly new to it I really recommend getting the archive. I'll be interested in following their next ventures, but I don't want to part much money doing so. Hopefully when they are not struggling financially they'll go back to doing some free stuff.

i like the sound of this (and may invest in this and the upcoming project)

does anybody know of similar projects? again, either the podcast discussing films  in depth or discussions and film theory on multimedia platforms

i really want to invest some time into film over the upcoming 12 months

Panbaams

Quote from: HodgerMccodger on September 03, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
Alternatively (if this is too niche) are there any film review podcasts that people would recommend,

Do they have to be new films? Because the Film Sack podcast is great if not.

Quote from: Panbaams on September 04, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Do they have to be new films? Because the Film Sack podcast is great if not.

Downloaded this. Bunch of jerk offs chatting shit

Thanks for the recommendation, and no I wasn't thinking necessarily of current films,

I bought the archive too and would really recommend it- in the last podcast they suggested they might be taking it down in October or something as well. The way they were talking about it it sounded like keeping podcast episodes available was really expensive. With this in mind I wondered how the "collings and herrin podcast" was still available despite not being active for years, ending on bad terms and consisting of a lot of episodes with a fairly throwaway feel to them. Anyway this is beside the point

The "movie geeks united" podcast seems okay, and quite varied; incorporating recent release reviews, overviews of directors work, interviews and discussions of specific aspects of film making,

Agree with everything Sam said about the podcast; Higgin's does like his discussion of violence, and I can no longer think of the phrase "the myth of redemptive violence" without thinking it in a northern Irish accent,

non capisco

Quote from: HodgerMccodger on September 03, 2014, 12:48:36 PM

I really like Filmspotting, especially when they have Chicago Tribune film critic Michael Phillips on. Passionate cineastes talking about films old and new, mainstream and arthouse. What I want basically.

I've not really found any podcast quite like The Film Talk, and I find most other ones far too frustrating. The passion of those hosts, and how personal they get talking about them was infectious. 
I can't get into Film Spotting, I like Mark Kermode's reviews a lot but their podcast doesn't quite dig in the same way.

Is there any good film talk-esque podcast recommendations?

Bad Ambassador

Would it be terribly bad form if I recommended my own podcast?

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 14, 2016, 05:37:17 PM
Would it be terribly bad form if I recommended my own podcast?

It would be if it's shit.

Custard

StreamPunk is quite good. They review films available on streaming services. It's the blokes what used to do Mondo Movie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 14, 2016, 07:51:16 PM
StreamPunk is quite good. They review films available on streaming services. It's the blokes what used to do Mondo Movie

Agree with this. Was very pleased when I heard that they'd started up again.

Another one that might be of interest is the Cutprintfilm Podcast. I usually steer clear of American film podcasts, but I'll make an exception for this one, as the hosts can actually be very funny without any of the forced humour I've found in others. The News Reel, their sister podcast, isn't as great, but focuses more on upcoming releases and film news.