Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Green Room (Jeremy Saulnier, 2016)

Started by zomgmouse, April 26, 2016, 04:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

A few people have been talking about this on here, it's getting released in about a month in Australia and it looks pretty fantastic.

Patrick Stewart and Alia Shawkat are in this, which is cool.

This is only Saulnier's third film after Murder Party (2007) which I just saw and thought it was great, and Blue Ruin (2013) which I will see very soon.

Mister Six

Mate of mine saw this the other day. Said he forgot to breathe for half of it. been too busy to see it myself but it's on my to-do list.

Ringside

I was really excited about this initially, the punk / skinhead theme, Patrick Stewart's nasty character etc. Then I saw the trailer and it looked really boring.

Maybe I'll watch it today, in my pants with lunch from the Chinese. If it's shit, then I still have the comfort of my boxers and some greasy rice to cheer me up.

Penfold

Cineworld are showing it this evening around the UK if you have a Cineworld Unlimited card.

http://www1.cineworld.co.uk/films/green-room-unlimited-screening

I have never been to a Cineworld cinema.

Bazooka

Looking forward to it, loved Blue Ruin.

Goldentony

pisstakers wanting me to sign up for some nonce card before I can go and watch a film, shovel it up your pisshole you shysters and just LET ME IN

Wet Blanket

I reckon this is definitely the 'secret' film that my local is advertising next Monday. Think it'll be the mutt's nuts myself; Blue Ruin showed great promise.

Mini

Quote from: Mister Six on April 27, 2016, 04:26:19 AM
Mate of mine saw this the other day. Said he forgot to breathe for half of it.

Same here - it's another small explosion of a movie from Jeremy Saulnier. Tension tight as drum skins. Killer performances. Extreme violence. I give it 5 splatters out of 5.

zomgmouse

I watched Blue Ruin yesterday, this one seems like it'll have a tone somewhere between Murder Party and Blue Ruin I think.

Penfold

Free screenings at Picture House cinemas tomorrow morning at 11am via Show Film First

None near me.

I've never been to a Picture House cinema, only the Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds.

Paaaaul

Just saw it. Five people walked out of cinema as nastiness escalated.
More later, but for now...it's good.

Paaaaul

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 28, 2016, 01:14:03 AM
I watched Blue Ruin yesterday, this one seems like it'll have a tone somewhere between Murder Party and Blue Ruin I think.
Very much.
Spoiler alert

The plot is similar to Murder Party, but it really has the atmosphere of Blue Ruin.

After a few establishing scenes, the film settles into a relentless groove and is a masterclass in taut tension. It is unpredictable, nasty and brilliant.
At the showing I was at, three women -  all in different parts of the theatre - stood up and left after a scene with a stanley knife, and another scene with a hungry dog saw another couple of people leave. Nothing seemed gratuitous however, just natural to the escalating scenario.

As much as I enjoyed Blue Ruin, I think this is the better film.
[close]

zomgmouse

Just had a screening of this earlier today. Intense, gory and thrilling, rarely can a film captivate and then hold that captivation captive like this did. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
A great continuation of Saulnier's obsessive dissection of violence and all it stands for.

Quote from: Paaaaul on May 01, 2016, 05:16:22 PM
Very much.
Spoiler alert

The plot is similar to Murder Party, but it really has the atmosphere of Blue Ruin.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I reckon it's got a bit more of Murder Party's sense of humour, Blue Ruin was very sombre whereas there's macabre, gruesomely funny moments in this.

Oh, and yes I agree that this is the better film.
[close]

brat-sampson

Saw this (it's available). I really enjoyed it, very clustrophobic, very menacing, very gory/visually nasty while never descending into Rothian territory. I'd be hard pushed to rank this and Ruin as I loved that for its Cohen-esque ways, but this really was a tight little piece of work. After the establishing scenes are done it's straight in and doesn't let up.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 30, 2016, 07:03:19 AM
Saw this (it's available).

i tried to rent this last night on Amazon but to no avail.

Van Dammage

Was not expecting that
Spoiler alert
bit where his hand is half hanging off after he throws the gun out the door.
[close]
Fucking hell that escalated quickly.

thugler

Really enjoyed this, but did think it was a bit silly that a wooden door prevented them from getting in and killing them.

Catalogue Trousers

Love it. An Assault On Precinct 13 for this generation.

Admire what they were going for, but this was a miss for me. Slow start, actually got bored waiting for something to happen, and then the realisation that
Spoiler alert
they were going to repeatedly get lucky didn't do much for my suspension of disbelief
[close]
. Not a bad film at all though, and I'd still recommend it.

AsparagusTrevor

I watched this today, quite enjoyed it. The slow build-ups to intense brutality really ramped up the tension, plus it was nicely acted and directed.

kitsofan34

You know the first....20 minutes or so? Do you guys know any films that are similar to that whole vibe? A kind of grimy depiction of a band on the road. Cause I kind of preferred that to the following hour and twenty or so.

Noodle Lizard

Gave up with 20 minutes to go.  Couldn't be arsed with it.  Forgive me if the last 20 minutes somehow made it all worthwhile.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 02, 2016, 08:51:49 PM
You know the first....20 minutes or so? Do you guys know any films that are similar to that whole vibe? A kind of grimy depiction of a band on the road. Cause I kind of preferred that to the following hour and twenty or so.

I know what you mean. I could watch a film about them scraping by, siphoning petrol and living on rice and beans as they travel from one crappy gig to the next. I also liked how the band are a bit obnoxious and hold pretentious self-defeating beliefs, like their refusal to advertise on social media because they're too "real" for it.

But I did like the slasher/thriller part of it too. I only have a couple of criticisms:

- that dog had a lot of plot armour, as well as psychic powers and an excellent understanding of human anatomy.

- I honestly couldn't follow the whole murder mystery plot about the screwdiver murder and the conspiracy between the skinheads. I don't have a scoobie as to why that girl was killed. Something about her planning to run away with someone? I don't know, it was all vague and mumbled.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Default to the negative on July 03, 2016, 12:38:59 PM

- I honestly couldn't follow the whole murder mystery plot about the screwdiver murder and the conspiracy between the skinheads. I don't have a scoobie as to why that girl was killed. Something about her planning to run away with someone? I don't know, it was all vague and mumbled.

Yeah, the girl was going to run away with another skinhead lad. Said skinhead lad also had some evidence he was supposed to destroy hidden in the boot of his car.

GeeWhiz

Left me a little cold, this one. Lean and stylish stuff, no question and I get that the economy of the thing inspired all those Carpenter comparisons, but even at his hardest Carpenter knows how to make you have *fun*

neveragain

Quote from: clingfilm portent on July 02, 2016, 01:57:47 PM
Slow start, actually got bored waiting for something to happen, and then the realisation that
Spoiler alert
they were going to repeatedly get lucky didn't do much for my suspension of disbelief
[close]

Well...
Spoiler alert
if they didn't 'get lucky', wouldn't they just be killed straight away?
[close]
Surely that's a criticism you could make of all thriller films, and
Spoiler alert
most of them died at the end anyway, so they weren't that lucky.
[close]

Wet Blanket

I thought it was pretty disappointing after Blue Ruin. It started well but soon descended into standard slasher territory. Also, even as a gore-hound I thought the grue was a bit much.

Thought the main guy did a good job, and was disappointed to later discover he was Anton Yelchin. I've always liked[nb]Fancied[/nb] imogen Poots in everything I've seen her in too.

Quote- I honestly couldn't follow the whole murder mystery plot about the screwdiver murder and the conspiracy between the skinheads. I don't have a scoobie as to why that girl was killed. Something about her planning to run away with someone? I don't know, it was all vague and mumbled.

This too. What was the significance of the words on the napkin?

Van Dammage

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 04, 2016, 02:40:57 PM

This too. What was the significance of the words on the napkin?

The words were the name of a song. When they played that song it was supposed to be the cue for the lads to murder the girl. However, they did it early during the other bands set instead, which is why they discovered the murder in the first place.

Wet Blanket

But don't they find it in the pocket of the victim? Why does she have it?