Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Britney Spears - The Woman In Me

Started by Blue Jam, October 19, 2023, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Out on the 24th and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as I looked forward to Spare. Come on, who else?

madhair60

"read me baby one more time" - the london review of books

Kankurette

I wonder how much dirt there'll be on Justin Timberlake.

madhair60

my understanding is that he is "filthy"

bgmnts

Britney Spears does remain a fascinating figure regarding the relationship between the feckless bloodthirsty proles and the nauseating tabloid machine that creates this celebrity culture.

If this goes into detail about the conservatorship thing that went viral a few years ago I reckon it'd be a really interesting read.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on October 20, 2023, 07:16:26 PMI wonder how much dirt there'll be on Justin Timberlake.

If by dirt you mean her consensual actual human shit, then loads if rumours, that I've admittedly just made up, are to be believed

Sarah Ditum's book 'Toxic' about the way it became acceptable for the media to shame and abuse the likes of her, Winehouse, Lohan and other troubled female celebrities comes out next week too.

She writes about Britney in tomorrow's Sunday Times magazine. (Already attracting disapproving comments from people who can't see it's a one-off pastiche and not a permanent redesign.)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on October 20, 2023, 07:16:26 PMI wonder how much dirt there'll be on Justin Timberlake.

Loads, it seems. Released exccerpts have already mentioned aborting his baby, apparently not 100% willingly. It has also been hinted that he wasn't really worthy of the nickname "Justin Trousersnake"...

Incredible that the abortion story never leaked before now. Her public image was tied to her alleged virginity to a frankly creepy degree, imagine all the superinjunctions there must have been around that, not to mention the pressure she must have been under from all sides.

madhair60

i'm bringing sexy back
abort your kid i have a small cock

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 21, 2023, 06:03:00 PMLoads, it seems. Released exccerpts have already mentioned aborting his baby, apparently not 100% willingly. It has also been hinted that he wasn't really worthy of the nickname "Justin Trousersnake"...

Incredible that the abortion story never leaked before now. Her public image was tied to her alleged virginity to a frankly creepy degree, imagine all the superinjunctions there must have been around that, not to mention the pressure she must have been under from all sides.
The abortion story was what I had in mind. People were so deeply weird and gross about Britney's sex life or lack of.

Sarah Ditum is a TERF but not gonna lie, that book looks interesting. I always hated the way the press treated Amy Winehouse too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Page 102: the 46-year-old talkshow host from London's West Midlands who questioned me about my virginity when I was 20.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 21, 2023, 07:07:35 PMLots of pictures in it is there?

Hopefully just in the middle and not all the way through - Phillip Schofield's been through enough already without having to sue her for plagiarism.

Urinal Cake

Justin's fall from (relative) grace is interesting. He was the talented and good looking one but his shit was always out in the open but ignored. Still he's no Danny Matheson etc.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on October 21, 2023, 06:52:38 PMThe abortion story was what I had in mind. People were so deeply weird and gross about Britney's sex life or lack of.

Just gross about her in general. It comes to something when SOUTH PARK are the voice of sympathetic concern.

Kankurette

Quote from: Urinal Cake on October 21, 2023, 08:16:52 PMJustin's fall from (relative) grace is interesting. He was the talented and good looking one but his shit was always out in the open but ignored. Still he's no Danny Matheson etc.
A former member of a boy band becoming an indie mag darling due to working with the Neptunes was one of the odder moments of the 00s. Rock Your Body got played in my local indie dive a lot.

Urinal Cake

Alpha Dog showed he could act but in the end he's a straight white male with pretty privilege.

I don't know what else he's done but the biggest thing he benefitted from was the Superbowl stunt. Janet Jackson was basically blacklisted from polite society but JT just got more famous. I think of an alternate timeline where Janet could still hang with Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lopez etc.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Urinal Cake on October 21, 2023, 09:48:28 PMin the end he's a straight white male with pretty privilege. 

What a fucking BASTARD. How dare he.

Kankurette

That Janet Jackson thing was so ridiculous. Oh no, a woman shows a bit of tit. What a monster. She should have bombed a small Middle Eastern country instead.

madhair60

JTs first three albums slap (20/20 counts as one)

Blue Jam

Mobius

Hope there is some amusing anecdotes

Kankurette

QuoteFor 13 years, she could not see her two sons without approval. Her driving licence was confiscated. She could not choose her meals, and was forbidden from drinking tea or coffee. When she wanted to have a contraceptive intrauterine device (IUD) removed, her request was denied.
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Britney having a fag habit since the age of 14 also explains why her voice sounds like that.

Blue Jam

Some words on the alleged ghostwriter, Sam Lansky:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/sam-lansky-britney-spears-ghostwriter-b2433069.html

Liking the minimalist prose style so far. Seems sadly fitting for the bleakness.

bgmnts

I cannot read out loud performatively for the life of me so I empathise, but having her only read the prologue was a very wise move by the publishers.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

She didn't write it herself? Well fuck this, I'm not buying it now.

Blue Jam

Just got to the bit where she describes performing with a big fuck-off snek at the VMAs, and how she had almost no preparation from the snek handler and how during the performance it was hissing at her and she just had to avoid eye contact, fucking hell. Watching that now neither Britney nor the snek looked too happy.

Kankurette

I don't blame her, I'd be shitting myself if I had a bloody great snek round my neck.

Blue Jam

I'm not even phobic about sneks but that's a Burmese python, they're big bastards and they can and have killed their handlers. I wouldn't fancy waving one around on a stage with all the noise and lights to freak it out either.

Shaxberd

If Athletico Mince has taught me anything, those big snakes will spew up at the drop of a hat, I wouldn't risk it.