Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2022: The Thuglife Era (Stokes, Woakes, Foakes, and plenty of chokes)

Started by sevendaughters, June 04, 2022, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

QuoteI've got absolutely no interest in the style that they've played." Dean Elgar, South Africa's bullish Test captain, will not be drawn on the hype surrounding England's swashbuckling batting this summer. "I think it can go one of two ways for them and it can go south very quickly. [Talking about it] is a waste of energy. Their own coach doesn't even like the slogan they've come up with. I'd like to see them do it against our seamers."

Fucking love this sort of chat pre-series. I must say, I'm really looking forward to these tests.

(SA getting rolled by the Lions notwithstanding).

Inspector Norse

Inspector Norse

Must say these are two almighty tails. SA with Jansen, Maharaj, Rabada, Ngidi and Nortje look to have an even more hapless crew than England.

Crenners

I back the Crawdog to get his maiden century (apart from the others).

Harry Badger

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 17, 2022, 10:55:55 AMCrawley c Markram b Rabada 8 (22 balls, 2x 4)

Fucking hell, that's good.

Actual result Zak Crawley c Markram b Rabada 9 (23b 2x4 0x6)

Harry Badger

I'm calling it now - Pope to get a big hundred and cement his place in the side.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Harry Badger on August 17, 2022, 11:46:39 AMI'm calling it now - Pope to get a big hundred and cement his place in the side.

I'm not against this in theory, though if anyone uses the phrase "daddy ton" (looking at you Cook) I will literally walk to Lords and chin them.

Harry Badger

Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 17, 2022, 11:58:15 AMI'm not against this in theory, though if anyone uses the phrase "daddy ton" (looking at you Cook) I will literally walk to Lords and chin them.

I didn't say which match.

iamcoop

Only just tuned in. Has anyone mentioned how good Crawley looked for his 9 yet? "Showed us all what he can do" etc

sevendaughters

Quote from: iamcoop on August 17, 2022, 12:09:35 PMOnly just tuned in. Has anyone mentioned how good Crawley looked for his 9 yet? "Showed us all what he can do" etc

BBC livetext

11.36 Early days, of course, but I will say that Zak Crawley is leaving a lot better than he was at the start of the summer. He has had a torrid few months and I think a lot of unfair, overly personal criticism.

11.40 WICKET

Crawley c Markram b Rabada 9 (Eng 25-2)

Well. Well done, me. That's another low score for Zak Crawley, I'm afraid.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Harry Badger on August 17, 2022, 12:07:19 PMI didn't say which match.

Well now I look quite the fool. Still, a promise is a promise, next time Pope gets a century and someone on the commentary team uses that phrase in relation to said score, I will walk to Lords and chin someone.

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 17, 2022, 12:12:12 PMBBC livetext

11.36 Early days, of course, but I will say that Zak Crawley is leaving a lot better than he was at the start of the summer. He has had a torrid few months and I think a lot of unfair, overly personal criticism.

11.40 WICKET

Crawley c Markram b Rabada 9 (Eng 25-2)

Well. Well done, me. That's another low score for Zak Crawley, I'm afraid.

Related, from earlier in the summer:

iamcoop

Inspector Norse

Bairstow bowled through the gate playing an ill-advised drive at the start of his innings with England already in a precarious position?

With his reputation?

shoulders

A very low scoring test potentially here. We've been shite but SA's tail is very long. Der Dussen and Verreyne at 5 and 6 then Jansen and the tail has a fair old chance of going wrong. A lot of pressure on the new ball though.

shoulders

I haven't seen much overly personal criticism of Crawley by the way, nearly all statistical based criticism.

It probably is relevant that his family and connections got him into the side,  but no-one would give a shit about that if he was actually a competent professional cricketer who deserved these repeated opportunities instead of someone who averages under 30 in first class cricket and an average in tests where we lost the toss and were put into bat of 7.

Thursday

Very excited by the possibility of rain forcing a draw in a game where we would be thrashed.

Inspector Norse

Ah that was a lucky break, like one of those goals where the penalty hits the post but then bounces in off the prone keeper's arse.

Inspector Norse

Great to see England's trusty tactic of bowling short at the tail restricting Jansen and Maharaj to a mere 72-run partnership. Keep it up lads! POSITIVE VIBES

iamcoop

Short pitched dreck at the tail yet again.

<Insert quote about the definition of insanity here>

Embarrassing

MrMealDeal

Prediction: Ben Stokes will be an awful England captain - tactical rigidity and constant aggression will fail more often than it succeeds. However, the memory of those four victories and the occasional glorious win mean that he'll stay on as captain until England's ignominious 5-0 defeat in the 2027 Ashes.

Cuellar

Stokes with his "awkward length that just gets big on you" oooffff

🥵🥵🥵

Inspector Norse

Anrich Nortje's batting average is 6.76.

Against England it is 13.85. 72% of his career runs have come against England.

Inspector Norse

FalknerHinton

I'll say that he'll have a much better innings this time:

Crawley b. Rabada 19