Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2022: The Thuglife Era (Stokes, Woakes, Foakes, and plenty of chokes)

Started by sevendaughters, June 04, 2022, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like Bazball only exists because the team we have are mostly too inept and unfocused to play any other way. It just gives a name and some legitimacy to the brand of brains-off 'express yourself and if you fail, fuck it' cricket we'd sort-of adopted anyway, if not totally committed to.

Inspector Norse

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/20/brendon-mccullum-suggests-england-not-hard-enough-against-south-africa?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"I guess one of the messages we will be talking about is did we go hard enough with our approach?" said McCullum, when asked about the discussions to be had before Thursday's second Test at Old Trafford. "Could we maybe go a little harder and try to turn some pressure back on the opposition as well?"

"When the game was in the balance and a couple of spells from their boys were testing, we could maybe have been a little braver to be able to turn some pressure back on the opposition – in both innings."

"There's not much point in hitting the nets as such. For us, we've got very good cricketers and they've had a lot of cricket over their careers and they know what they're doing. We just need to tidy up a couple of areas. And one message will be 'can we go a little harder?'."

Thursday

Quote from: Quote on August 20, 2022, 09:36:31 PMSeems like Bazball only exists because the team we have are mostly too inept and unfocused to play any other way. It just gives a name and some legitimacy to the brand of brains-off 'express yourself and if you fail, fuck it' cricket we'd sort-of adopted anyway, if not totally committed to.

Well this is the thing, this really wasn't different to so many other England games pre-Bazball, especially the Bayliss era - which I didn't pay as much attention back then, but as far as I remember was a very attacking style and it kept leading to games like this, which led to the Silverwood era where we tried to reign this in a bit and play a little more cautiously, but it mainly led to England losing a bit more slowly because you have a generation of players raised to play white ball cricket. So they'd simply play defensively for a few overs before edging one to slip.

Most of the wickets weren't even really much to do with the approach anyway.

I see Crawley gets another chance to 'go hard' at the top of the order. Go hard to the dressing room for single figures.

Robinson comes in for Potts.

sevendaughters

I remember under Fletcher in the 2005 Ashes we had two first days where we scored 400+. Difference is was the exercising of caution at appropriate moments, ability to play defensively in patches, and controlling the game from the outset. Bazball is just kind of childish tbh.

Inspector Norse

Under Fletcher in the 2005 Ashes we didn't have Morph opening the batting.

mattyc

What kind of message does Crawley's continued selection send to him but also to the potential replacements who have got their heads down and made first-class runs this summer? It's the wrong call all round for me.

Thursday

It's good when other teams bat first, because then for a little while, the game seems like it can go either way.

Thursday

Inspector Norse

Worth pointing out while we celebrate a man on a zimmerframe destroying SA that they actively chose to bat first despite having a batting line-up featuring Simon Harmer at number 7.

iamcoop

Haven't listened for the last hour, last time I checked they were 118/8 and now it's 143/8. I'm guessing we're bowling short at the tailenders again then?

Inspector Norse

Yes but the cunning ploy of letting them put on 40-odd before finally pitching one up worked!

Inspector Norse

MrMealDeal

Crawley c Erwee b Nortje 15

Bigger drive and thicker edge this time

Thursday

Nah Crawley's going to get a score that "proves" why he has to be in the side, I can feel it.

Thursday

Changed  my mind, Crawley's going to get dropped for those cautious, defensive plays at the end of the day. Very negative.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: Thursday on August 25, 2022, 06:36:16 PMChanged  my mind, Crawley's going to get dropped for those cautious, defensive plays at the end of the day. Very negative.

Yup, England looking to move the game along and Zak's already fucked it.

Crenners

Crawley? More like (Michael) Crawford in Some Mothers Do Have Them! Just imagine Frank Spencer playing cricket...

FalknerHinton

New rule: you can wear a helmet when you're batting if you're a massive pussy, otherwise it's a compulsory beret. If you wear a cravat as well you get one extra out per cravat-clad batter.

poo

Watched a Hundred last night. Everything about it was shit. Exactly as expected.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: poo on August 26, 2022, 09:53:23 AMWatched a Hundred last night. Everything about it was shit. Exactly as expected.

In person or on the telly? If you were at the ground at least you avoided the TV scoreboard graphics, which seem to have been created by chucking numbers randomly at the screen.

Inspector Norse

To put Crawley's BRILLIANTLY INTELLIGENT innings into perspective, he scored 2 more than Kagiso Rabada.

dontpaintyourteeth

Not really following this today but it's a good laugh having an occasional look at the bbc sport website. "England open up lead", it said just now. 21 runs. Aye right pal. Opening up isn't it.

sevendaughters

38 isn't bad considering the wicket and all but don't blow smoke up his arse every time he doesn't fuck up in the same manner. That to media, not you lot.