Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:48:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Replies From View on February 13, 2020, 08:03:38 AM
This.  Take a leaf from the YouTube channels that thank their Patreon supporters right at the end.  Family and friends who'll recognise anyone in that list and want to study it - that's great and they can do that.  Everyone else can go off and make a cup of tea.

Can't believe I'm having to explain this to people who are as intelligent as you lot, but if the cocks who subscribe to people on Twitch didn't get a little piece of fame themselves mid-stream via the host thanking them, then most wouldn't subscribe

weekender

I'd like to thank all of CaB for making me as famous as I am.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 13, 2020, 05:23:04 PM
Can't believe I'm having to explain this to people who are as intelligent as you lot, but if the cocks who subscribe to people on Twitch didn't get a little piece of fame themselves mid-stream via the host thanking them, then most wouldn't subscribe

Well that's stupid then and it deserves to die out.

It's kind of sad Limmy is on there really.  It seems to be more a place for teenagers to bounce around on their beds singing into hairbrushes than an outlet for professionals.  As a site to be showing your face when you've previously made a series for BBC America it's mildly better than a shopping channel, I suppose.  But I am quickly seeing it as quite an embarrassing enterprise.

Dewt

Yes he needs to buckle up and get a straight job

Dewt

bgmnts

Wouldn't say he needs to get a straight job but I think his talent is wasted.

Suppose its a sad indictment of the BBC if anything.

Dewt

I did not mean to walk into the Extremely Wrong Opinions meeting

bgmnts

Quote from: Dewt on February 13, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
I did not mean to walk into the Extremely Wrong Opinions meeting

You don't think Limmy should be on the BBC or some other channel - with creative freedom obviously - to continue writing great sketches or whatever he wants to do? You'd rather him languishing on a shite forum for teenagers and people who aren't professionally gifted towards comedy in any way?

Fair enough.

kitsofan34

He is on the BBC, he's producing his own homemade sketch show right now. The true issue is that he's pledging to go "full time" on twitch once he finishes editing the show.

colacentral

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 13, 2020, 05:23:04 PM

Maybe he'd lose a few but he'd still do alright. He should concentrate on Patreon to reduce the need to depend on mid-stream shout-outs. Plus he uploads his streams to YouTube and gets ad revenue there.

As I said, he'd probably amass more viewers that way, at the expense of donations from attention seekers.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dewt on February 13, 2020, 10:22:54 PM
I mean Jesus fucking Christ RFV

I got a free shout-out!  What a dopamine rush!!

Lost Oliver

Isn't the most important thing for him that he's happy doing what he's doing and we're getting the odd bit of brilliance from it?

the

The argument that a 1-second "ThanksforthesubscriptionDavid" is a sufficiently attention-seeking motivation for people to pay for a subscription is patently fucking bullshit. People are getting whole questions read out and answered for free for a fucking start

Does anyone remember when Jane Couch (British boxer) went on the 11OCS and basically sat on Iain Lee punching him in the ribs? I recall she was saying something about the production crew asking her to hit Lee because they thought he was a twat or something.

Quote from: the on February 14, 2020, 10:25:12 AM
The argument that a 1-second "ThanksforthesubscriptionDavid" is a sufficiently attention-seeking motivation for people to pay for a subscription is patently fucking bullshit. People are getting whole questions read out and answered for free for a fucking start.

I've got a feeling that Limmy only reads out questions when they are from a sub, I think they're highlighted or something at the streamer's end on Twitch. On YouTube live streams this is called superchat and requires a donation.

Replies From View

Do Twitch get a cut from every subscription?  I have a feeling the entire enterprise is about exploiting people with mental health issues and learning difficulties.  A person can't be fully happy or in control of themselves if they are sending out large sums of money for the dopamine hit of hearing someone read out their made-up internet handle.  It doesn't matter how much you spin this as "just what da kidz do in da 2020s" - it's absurd and it feels exploitative.

Dewt

You are not going to be happy until we all agree that Limmy is throwing his life away by being on Twitch are you

You can be on Twitch and be okay.

Just accept that it's not for you. For me it's his best output.

Dewt

Yes. I'm not lining up all of his content on a big chart and ranking them, but I would be more interested in watching an organic Limmy moment on Twitch than any of his sketch stuff. It is more interesting. Yes there is a lower hit rate but that's fine depending on how you consume content.

But also I don't have to explain myself, it's the "I don't understand this and so it is only for people who are mad" shit that needs justification.

Dewt

Yeah saying I can tolerate a Twitch stream, fucking wild mate.

bgmnts

Well no you said its his best work, dont be a bugger now.

Dewt

Yes I enjoy it more than his sketch show currently, a thing I believe is known as an opinion

bgmnts

Indeed, thats the talking shit bit.

I like some of Limmy's streaming stuff, none of the stuff where he's just like any of a thousand untalented nerds playing video games, that's crap and a waste of his comedic talent. Some of it is ace though.

Dewt

You've got "he is wasting his life doing this it is unprofessional and bad and exploiting the mentally ill"
versus
"I'm quite partial to it actually"

which one of these is talking shit, bgmnts

bgmnts

I said Limmy's twitch streams exploit the mentally ill? I do not recall to that but I don't think so.

I am partial to the comedy on there, the stuff thats been edited.

Sin Agog

You could say it's like an extension of how sitcoms all became docu-comedies for a few years there.  They're lower-effort, but also a bit more...present?  Basically this Twitch business is more internet band-aids for people who want fwiends, which is fair enough I guess.  Thanks, Falconpoof42!

Dewt

Is it? I'm seeing friends in about an hour and I'd much rather just chill with Limmy on while I potter around doing something else.

It's these grand statements of absolute bullshit that I'm railing against here. Just deal with it being different from a TV show, you don't need to come up with a THEORY

Replies From View

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 09:14:34 PM
Yes. I'm not

Thanks WileyB for the sub

I'm not

Cheers Symptona1989 for the sub

I'm not lining up all of his

Thanks for the £2 JollySimon

Where was I

Oh yeah I'm not

Thanks OllieSniffles for the sub

Thanks Julie19733 for the sub

Cheers Mateyboy99 for the sub

I'm not lining up all of his content on a big chart and

Thanks FrankieBoy13 for the sub

Ah fuck where was I

I'd be interested in watching an organic

Thanks MasterGoodle4658 for the sub

Good point well made!

Replies From View

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 10:12:43 PM
Is it? I'm seeing friends in about an hour and I'd much rather just chill with Limmy on while I potter around doing something else.

Yeah for sure it's something to half-watch rather than expend a meaningful amount of love and effort engaging with.

For me I think that's part of the problem though.  If it's what most people like nowadays, there's been a definite shift in the kind of art people choose to make and how audiences engage with it, and I don't think it's a positive development.