Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 10:12:43 PM
Is it? I'm seeing friends in about an hour and I'd much rather just chill with Limmy on while I potter around doing something else.

jfc

Dewt

It's a bummer that I can't spend my night ingesting this content. A bunch of old before their time men rallying against new forms of media and saying "well, you'd have to be mental and lonely to enjoy it, that's the only explanation". Fucking quality stuff I'll be missing there.

Tata and farewell!

Sin Agog

I'm really loving this new Chancellor of ours.  He's so new.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 10:19:22 PM
A bunch of old before their time men rallying against new forms of media

Which new forms of media?  I was talking specifically about a shitty internet streaming service where talented people are wasting their talents by mostly reading out Christmas card lists for four hours.

Cheers for perceiving me as spirited and youthful though.

Ferris

Interestingly boringly, I see both sides.

Some of the Limmy stuff playing games is brilliant. When he's clearly having a shit time, or gleefully trying to break the game while chatting away, it's great. It's like the radio - put it on in the background and tune in/out while doing chores or making a jalfrezi or whatever.* That's what I do for those streams (and I've watched a few).

That said, it is usually very unfocused, and the constant stop/starting to thank some random twat for giving him 3 quid or re-subbing is really annoying. It's like a musician stopping a performance to thank any individual member of the crowd when they buy a single. Like a busker I suppose.

Is the stream stuff "better" than the sketch show? Nah, not really. Moments of gold, and maybe it is better if you treat it like radio you have on in the background because it fits that style of listening better, but for sitting and watching actual focused comedy, it's not even close.

*this is how I "consume" music, radio, and baseball most of the time so it fits my lifestyle

bgmnts

I suppose I just find background noise less worthwhile than crafted comedy you have to actively appreciate maybe.

Could literally be anything on in the background if that's all you want.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on February 15, 2020, 12:29:24 AM
I suppose I just find background noise less worthwhile than crafted comedy you have to actively appreciate maybe.

Could literally be anything on in the background if that's all you want.

Not if it was the sound of duelling anuses. Wouldn't want that on while I make my jalfrezi.

(I'm making a jalfrezi as I type this)

machotrouts

Reading this thread and thinking of this g0m comic:

Gotta say I'm massively with Dewt on this one.

It's often brilliant and laughs are huge after he's tortured you for a while.

Although I have turned the chat off now because reading that does make me want to burn down Twitch and murder people. That really is the least funny thing I've ever seen.

Anyway I just love the fact that he has basically become Falconhoof for real. Something really beautiful and tragic about it.

Fuck am I posting in this thread for? Thought it was the Limmy one not this charlatan. Apologies.

bgmnts

Eh if you're not really paying much attention and just on whilst doing other things, no difference between Limmy and Iain Lee anyway.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 15, 2020, 12:24:10 AM
Interestingly boringly, I see both sides.

Some of the Limmy stuff playing games is brilliant. When he's clearly having a shit time, or gleefully trying to break the game while chatting away, it's great. It's like the radio - put it on in the background and tune in/out while doing chores or making a jalfrezi or whatever.* That's what I do for those streams (and I've watched a few).

That said, it is usually very unfocused, and the constant stop/starting to thank some random twat for giving him 3 quid or re-subbing is really annoying. It's like a musician stopping a performance to thank any individual member of the crowd when they buy a single. Like a busker I suppose.

Is the stream stuff "better" than the sketch show? Nah, not really. Moments of gold, and maybe it is better if you treat it like radio you have on in the background because it fits that style of listening better, but for sitting and watching actual focused comedy, it's not even close.

*this is how I "consume" music, radio, and baseball most of the time so it fits my lifestyle

I totally agree with Ferris here, Twitch is in its early days and Limmy is massively ahead of anyone else on there. To me it's like Limmy's been given a long daily radio show where he can do whatever he wants without the annoying interuption of records, weather, time checks, adverts and the news.

Hopefully both Limmy and Twitch will mature into an interesting and diverse platform.

bgmnts

Its been around almost a decade to be fair.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 15, 2020, 10:47:39 AM
Its been around almost a decade to be fair.

It's only had the Just Chatting (formerly IRL) option since 2017, it was primarily gaming before that.

badaids

I remember watching the 11 o clock show back in the day and remember it as being something you watched because there was nothing else on and you didn't want to go to bed. Apart from the Ali G bits of course.  Iain Lee annoyed me at the time and still does, something about bothering weird shape of his face and body and his smug not-as-funny-as-he-thinks-he-is demeanour. Watching his commentary of the show, not much has changed and I'm quite surprised at the not quite dissipated bitterness and arrogance that he never went further and others did. I think he's done extraordinarily well to achieve what he has with the talent he has. I'm enjoying the commentary, mostly, but he refrain of 'come on, that was funny!' in defence of  piss poor puns and thin jokes is already quite tiring.

Replies From View

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 15, 2020, 10:44:19 AM
To me it's like Limmy's been given a long daily radio show where he can do whatever he wants without the annoying interuption of

Thanks for the sub [Better Midlands].

Quote from: Replies From View on February 15, 2020, 11:02:17 AM
Thanks for the sub [Better Midlands].

Don't get me wrong, I find that stuff annoying too. I think once a channel reaches a certain size there's less imperative to do this as there are so many new subs/cheers etc it becomes unfeasible.

I guess it comes down to whether viewers would pay a £5 monthly subscription or watch adverts every 15 minutes.

You can poke around Limmy's statistics here https://twitchtracker.com/limmy

It doesn't have an estimated income or sub count on Twitch steamers.

A streamer receives 50% of the income and Twitch takes the rest. You could make a very rough guess by watching for an hour and counting the donations and subs (£5/$5) then multiplying that by hours streamed per week.

Also Twitch is owned by Amazon and every Prime member gets a free sub per month, this is where a lot of the subs come from.

Replies From View

What do subscribers get apart from their name being mentioned?

Quote from: Replies From View on February 15, 2020, 12:25:13 PM
What do subscribers get apart from their name being mentioned?

They're supporting the creator, much like with Patreon.

Last Sunday was the seventh anniversary of Lee's dad's death, so that stream is even more extraordinary in that context.

Dewt

He needs to put a well-starched suit on and devote himself to more professional pursuits, that boy.

bgmnts

"I have a cunning plan- oh thanks to fuckcakes96 for the sub - my lord."

"I wish to - cuntcuntcunt321 cheers for the sub - register a complaint"

marquis_de_sad

Yes is it annoying when extraneous things interrupt the main topic of conversation.

I like Lee because, like me, he has no filter yet somehow he still gets work.

Fucking hell, tonight's is 2 hours 39 minutes...and Max Clifford is on.