Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:18:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 24, 2020, 11:38:55 AM
I thought last night's trawl through Series 1 episode 5 was rather pointless because that series is already an exhausted topic.

Which he admitted himself. I don't think he'll go the distance with this odd project, there's not really anything else he can say. By the time he gets to the really nasty stuff, which presumably starts in series 2, it'll just be a painful video of a sensitive middle-aged man feeling utterly ashamed of things he did in his twenties.

Operty1

I'm not sure if he has put this on YouTube but he has also talked about his Come Dine With Me episode, which I found much funnier than the 11 o'clock show stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/556187273

He does digress a lot at the start, but I enjoyed him falling out with Lembit Opik about desserts.

badaids

Quote from: Operty1 on February 24, 2020, 08:07:40 PM
I'm not sure if he has put this on YouTube but he has also talked about his Come Dine With Me episode, which I found much funnier than the 11 o'clock show stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/556187273

He does digress a lot at the start, but I enjoyed him falling out with Lembit Opik about desserts.

It is enjoyable, but a lot of those digressions are very bleak reveals/insights into what seems to be a miserable existence.  The biggest tell being when he insists that Cannon and Ball are funnier than Rik Mayall.

Operty1

Quote from: badaids on February 24, 2020, 08:12:29 PM
It is enjoyable, but a lot of those digressions are very bleak reveals/insights into what seems to be a miserable existence.

I would be interested in reading what you consider to be the bleak reveals and insights into his miserable existence that you get from this video as I don't get that at all.

kitsofan34

I quite like Lee but he does seem a little in thrall of Limmy. You can argue that this format is just something available to all twitch streamers but all it brings to mind to me is Limmy's version of it four months beforehand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BF7pGycJE

I might be very very wrong here too but Limmy spoke a while back on his twitch about someone who was a big fan that got very possessive and needy with him, wanting to meet in real life. The commenters on his stream just kept posting "Iain Lee Iain Lee Iain Lee".

typeforty

Quote from: kitsofan34 on February 24, 2020, 08:47:27 PMI might be very very wrong here too but Limmy spoke a while back on his twitch about someone who was a big fan that got very possessive and needy with him, wanting to meet in real life. The commenters on his stream just kept posting "Iain Lee Iain Lee Iain Lee".

Yes. You're very very wrong. Iain has spoken about his reluctance to pursue a real-life friendship, as he feels a bit insecure and awkward and thinks Limmy might just be being nice, etc. Also, Limmy's added Iain to his 'Stream Dream Team' thing. He (presumably!) wouldn't do that for a possessive fan who made him feel uncomfortable.

badaids

Quote from: Operty1 on February 24, 2020, 08:41:58 PM
I would be interested in reading what you consider to be the bleak reveals and insights into his miserable existence that you get from this video as I don't get that at all.

Off the top of my head.

"I'll have to be careful, I was watching some blues on this earlier on today."
"I'm done; I'm done".

Stuff like this escapes out every 15 minutes or so.

To me, it's proper wanking for coins level stuff.  Just seems to be tells of a very unhappy person.  I hope I'm wrong like.

Quote from: badaids on February 24, 2020, 09:08:16 PM
"I'll have to be careful, I was watching some blues on this earlier on today."

Another one of those jokes than Iain Lee does.

In last night's episode Iain briefly mentioned a comedy forum, not by name, that said so many horrible things about him he can't bring himself to look at it.

Possibly CaB. Probably CaB.

The 11 O'Clock Show was abysmal. Iain Lee was the face of that show so he represented everything that went wrong with British comedy post-Brass Eye. Cheap, nasty, horrible, punching down comedy that completely missed the point of what Morris was doing, its stench lingers to this day.

Everything 'we' said about Iain, based on his role in that show, was valid. But the weird thing is this... he'd fit right in here. A depressed, anxious nerd (possibly with phimosis, I don't know) who exudes passion for comedy and music.

No idea what my point is. I guess it's just a bit of a shame that someone like Iain Lee thinks we're all a bunch of cunts. But that's his fault, really, for fronting an awful comedy programme.

Operty1

It would be CAB, when he said he was going to stream the 11 o'clock show on Twitch I messaged him and said I'd post a link to it here as I thought there would be interest in such a thing on a comedy forum. He said that Cookd & Bombd hated him, but fine. I kind of wish I hadn't.

I personally think his radio shows are great, superb even, and he has been recently nominated for an ARIA award. Your right that he would fit in on here, I think some of the negative comments are overly harsh.

Mister Six

It does seem like a lot of people on here are searching for ways to attack him, even if it means wilfully misinterpreting what he says or what he's done, or even creating fantasy scenarios in which he's harassing Limmy[nb]Even shit like saying he nicked thanking people for subs and tips from Limmy, rather than acknowledging that it's just something people on Twitch do.[/nb]. And because... why? Because he was in a shit TV show 20 years ago? Poor bloke.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 24, 2020, 11:38:03 PM
It does seem like a lot of people on here are searching for ways to attack him, even if it means wilfully misinterpreting what he says or what he's done, or even creating fantasy scenarios in which he's harassing Limmy[nb]Even shit like saying he nicked thanking people for subs and tips from Limmy, rather than acknowledging that it's just something people on Twitch do.[/nb]. And because... why? Because he was in a shit TV show 20 years ago? Poor bloke.

Yes, exactly.

Hand Solo

I hated the 11 O Clock Show, though the troubling thing is I still remember a few of the jokes, so they must have had a couple of decent writers fighting the tide. One was.. Anne Widdecombe has a website.. (which she did, Widdeweb) it's in-between her legs.

c

Chalk me up for an Iain Lee supporter. The 11 o'clock show wasn't good, but he's great on the radio. I think he's a talented broadcaster who had an early career that was unfortunate - way too much promotion far too soon, that came with too much money, that he converted (as so many of us would've done at that age and at that time) into too much coke, which spoiled his reputation and career. He strikes me as a sensitive chap who certainly would fit in here. Yes he's a bit of a fanboy (Limmy - and isn't he obsessed with The Monkees?) but aren't most us of on this forum? What's wrong with that?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 25, 2020, 04:24:34 AM
Anne Widdecombe has a website..  it's in-between her legs.

urgh

This whole idea was probably interesting in its inception, but it's not going to do Lee any favours trawling through every increasingly horrible episode of something that will never be worthy of reappraisal, can never be shown in a positive way, even as an act of contrition, and with the exception of Ali G, should be deleted from everybody's memory.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 24, 2020, 10:01:51 PM
In last night's episode Iain briefly mentioned a comedy forum, not by name, that said so many horrible things about him he can't bring himself to look at it.

Possibly CaB. Probably CaB.

My assumption was Some of the Corpses Are Amusing/NotBBC which I visited far too much when I was 14 and seemed to bring up their hatred for Lee (and Simon Pegg) at any given opportunity. That was mostly in their articles, but the forum didn't exactly deviate. (I guess it was technically a "message board" rather than a forum).

Thosworth

He totally has form with manufactured beef.

He had a phone interview with Tommy Boyd a few years ago, where Boyd ended up accusing him of stealing his style and they had a blazing row. He had to end up admitting it was set up after Boyd's fans wouldn't stop attacking him. Also on a number of occasions, when a studio colleague has gone on holiday he'll fake an argument with them and 'fire' them before letting them back later.

Lost Oliver

typeforty

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 25, 2020, 09:02:10 AM
My assumption was Some of the Corpses Are Amusing/NotBBC which I visited far too much when I was 14 and seemed to bring up their hatred for Lee (and Simon Pegg) at any given opportunity. That was mostly in their articles, but the forum didn't exactly deviate. (I guess it was technically a "message board" rather than a forum).

Yeah, it was them. Someone brought them up in the chat. CAB wasn't mentioned.

I like Iain Lee a lot but worry about him because I share a lot of his characteristics - no filter, over-sensitive to criticism, possibly impostor syndrome, have genuine good intentions to be kind but this can sometimes turn into verbal aggression when frustrated.

He's not Baddiel or Gervais; infact he's the opposite because he's seeking self-awareness and how to be kind to others.

bgmnts

It seems he got to spend a few days with Debbie McGee and Jodie Marsh AND Lembit Opik.

Lucky bastard.

I withdraw my negative comments about his radio show. I am listening to last night's show and it is awesome: compassionate, open and warm:

https://talkradio.co.uk/radio/listen-again/1582581600#

Today (Feb 25) is the anniversary of a car crash that has clearly traumatized him. Caroline Flack's death has also brought back some demons.

Lee seems like a good egg. I think the fact he clearly regrets how he behaved during The 11 O'Clock Show shows he's grown but I'm not 100% sure of the reasons he's putting himself through all this. It's definitely a way of generating content but it seems like a bad thing to focus so much on the past, especially as his radio output shows he's far beyond the old telly shit in terms of quality.

Also on one level The 11 O'Clock Show is an interesting programme in cultural terms as we can see how television has changed and moved on, but it's also really fucking basic and forgettable and repetitive. If he'd done one episode from each series that would have been more than enough.

It would be better if he watched the shows in advance, picked out the most representative episodes, and prepared his responses. I know that defeats the objective of being comprehensive and spontaneous but I feel those elements are counter-productive. Limmy doesn't do every 3-2-1 episode ever made AFAIK because it would be ridiculously monotonous. Clearly, it would be far better for his mental health if he were not having to react to this stuff live.

"No 11 OCS Revisited tonight team. Might play some games but I'm very tired."

wooders1978

The "Barry from Watford" call ins to his show from about a decade ago are mostly on YouTube and well worth a lookup - especially the argument he has with a lady caller over Iain's Christmas show

NoOffenceLynn

Bob Mortimer calling into his shows under the name "Keith" was fantastic too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neg6AMzMZIM