Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,329
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Listening to some old shows... Jesus, this one, a stalker calls him up. Not a stalker of him, a sexual predator of a woman. Starts 7.05 on this link. Never heard anything like this, trigger warning.

https://youtu.be/_2AOHvwg0zY

Iain says he is going to do two 11 O'Clock Show episodes this week, to promote subscriptions.

EggsLikeABird

Sorry to bump an old topic, but did he do anymore of these? Only seems to be 5 or 6 or youtube. Did he get sick of it or did it not gain a following?

Ham Bap

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on November 16, 2021, 12:48:54 AM
Sorry to bump an old topic, but did he do anymore of these? Only seems to be 5 or 6 or youtube. Did he get sick of it or did it not gain a following?

Both.

He's started up his own online radio station now. You can advertise on it for £75 a week.

Thosworth

In a similar vein, this commentary on the Thumb Candy documentary is pretty entertaining. Genuinely interesting insights if you are into video gaming history. If you're not, not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7f7DOmrXyA

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: Ham Bap on November 16, 2021, 09:11:41 AM
Both.

He's started up his own online radio station now. You can advertise on it for £75 a week.
Christ. Is it doing well? Last time I saw him, he seems a bit desperate.

I listened to that clip of him dealing with the stalker last night and it's a reminder he can do some really good radio. Such a shame he's prone to losing his head and is making such a shitter of the streaming thing. He seems to provoke real hate in some people towards his act, but I don't really have the energy for it though nor am I the type to listen into his show religiously when the best bits will turn up elsewhere anyway. If he could keep it together he'd presumably still have a job, but he obviously can't. Tellingly, he's the only person I am blocked by on Twitter, and my account is almost entirely limited to liking posts by the shitpost left. I had the gentlest of nibbles at him and was promptly blocked. Incredibly thin skinned.

typeforty

Yeah but you say that like you're entitled to have people hear what you have to say on Twitter. I'm with Iain on this one - if someone I don't know decides to contact me on there and it catches me the wrong way because I'm having a shitty day or whatever, they're blocked. Fuck 'em. Don't know them, don't owe them my attention. It's just Twitter.

I would say what it was, but it would obviously run the risk of linking my accounts, and I prefer to keep a low profile online generally. Let's just say it was more going along with something he'd joked about in the recent past than it was having a dig at him in any way shape or form. I was genuinely startled when I clocked he'd blocked me as I have no interest at all in dishing it out online and didn't think you could attribute any malice at all to what I'd sent. No big deal.

Big Mclargehuge

I ducked out a year or so ago (around the time he was going into rehab for drug abuse and his shows were literally just 2-3 hour love ins comprising mainly of him and Kath begging for money, while spending most of the show sorting out tech issues and moaning that they didnt want to do the show.

But in the last month or so I got bored and decided to drop back in on things on an as and when (I used to be a regular listener to his Talk radio and 3 counties stuff barely, if ever, missing an episode) and, while its by no means perfect. it did seem to be a bit better than when I left it.

all the weird twitch people who they embraced have gone as have most of the weird love in crowd (its now just the hardcore regulars...which I can just about put up with) but the whole show now has kind of shifted into this weird passive paradoxical "thing" (thats the best way I can describe it) with Iain basically month on month threatening to pull the plug on the project semi regularly because "He doesnt need this, he's had his glory" while simultaineously starting radio stations, new record labels and trying to get back in the press...like; it's such a weird mixed message to put out there if your trying to grow an audience. "Sign up to us now or we'll stop doing the show, because I cant be arsed to do it anymore, I dont WANT to do this anymore and i've had what I want out of the industry...so sign up! or i'll leave." ...who on EARTH coming to this with zero context is going to fund that?

it's also gone a bit dead behind the eyes in terms of creative content too...given that this was previously a show that would do "Hide and seek on the radio", "Talent contests", weird half scripted horror/halloween specials and regular appearences from comedians and other people (Alex Lowe mainly) the last half dozen of these i've seen have had NON of that. the most "out there" they've gone in recent memory is they watched and commented on an old TV show.

TLDR; the shows a bit better than it was 12 months ago (less concerning and more just depressing than anything else), but it's still plagued with problems and if anything, it's just gotten stranger in terms of why it even exists. it's gotten better enough that i've bumped it up from "Not watching it anymore" to "I can just about manage with it on in the background if im bored shitless once ina  blue moon."

Lost Oliver

I feel for Kath. Seems like a nice person and it can't be easy working in that environment.

Tommy Boyd was brilliant because he was comfortable with who he was. He was/is intelligent, kind and genuine. I think Lee will need to really work on himself to become the last one.

thr0b

I stopped listening when Iain became really thin-skinned; any dissent in the chatroom or disagreement with things said on air were shouted down. The show just became depressing, with the same handful of people calling in to talk about being depressed - there was no entertainment left, so I stopped listening.

It's a shame, as I really like Iain when he's at his best, but his heart isn't in it, so nor are my ears.

I also realise that he and Kath are great friends, but his shows got increasingly worse, and I think a truly great producer would've sorted that. Hitching to each other's wagons hasn't helped either of their careers. She's not a great on-air talent, and he doesn't need her on air with him (except for moral support.) I think her influence has made him much angrier on air, but that anger is unfocussed and not a substitute for his actual talents.

Letting him back on air an hour after he had a breakdown on air (at Talk) was hugely misjudged. Also the night of the dick-pics callers, where Kath wasn't there, but SOMEONE should've pulled the show that night rather than letting it continue. And I mean a few days off.

I wish he'd played the game a bit more at TalkRadio. He didn't want to do a news/politics show, and that's understandable, but he could've ceded to the format a little more, been their token centre-left presenter. As it stood, with so many sick days and refusal to play the game, it's surprising they kept him on for so long.

poo

Quote from: Lost Oliver on November 17, 2021, 08:49:36 AMTommy Boyd was brilliant because he was comfortable with who he was. He was/is intelligent, kind and genuine. I think Lee will need to really work on himself to become the last one.

Tommy Boyd was fucking brilliant!
The perfect phone in host. Like you say, 100% grounded and comfortable with who he was and able to dial up and down different elements of his personality at any given time to bring the best out of each caller and situation.
There are wet pricks on here who think they're good trolls, but this guy was the absolute daddy and never malicious with it.

Remember the wonderful hour where people were encouraged to ring in with whatever made them happy, and Tommy would just bounce onboard, whatever it was, and wax lyrical about too many salt n vinegar crisps tearing your lips apart, or whatever, how life affirming it was. A full hour set aside to be positive, no arguing, no wind-ups, no bits, just to come on the radio and share whatever was brightening up your world.

EggsLikeABird

I recall Robin Ince on Herring's podcast telling a story about Iain Lee being rude to him on breakfast show RI:SE and Ince replied "it's not to long ago you were riding around London yelling 'remember me' to people because the 11 o'clock show got cancelled" and the producer came up to him afterwards and said "I wish you didnt say that. That story isnt far from the truth."

thr0b

To be fair, Iain is quite open about being in the midst of a cocaine addiction throughout Rise, so acting like a dick was kind of the expected result.

Thosworth

Tommy Boyd had this absolutely insufferable argument technique, which Iain Lee unfortunately adopted. It was the only low point of their radio shows.

It's basically ignoring any point being made, and arguing semantics and grammatical errors when people have trouble making their clearly obvious point. Interminable "But that's not what you said" and constant circular nit-picking trying to catch them out.

There's a method of argument called the Principle of Charity, where you take the strongest, most rational interpretation of someones's claim, however badly they've made it, but still manage to demolish it. James O'Brien for example, can do this effortlessly.

Spending 10 minutes repeating "But you said you don't not agree, therefore you agree." over and over again is in no way 'winning' an argument.

Tommy did it beautifully though, he'd stoop that low at times when he had someone petty and small minded and they were going down that road already, so he knew they were the buttons to press to get the best reaction, skipping around them, letting them slowly wind themselves up.

With Iain, you could always tell that he WAS that small minded and petty and he was actually seething and taking it all seriously.
It was very rare that he'd come off better than the caller when he started an argument.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Thosworth on November 17, 2021, 05:14:27 PM
There's a method of argument called the Principle of Charity, where you take the strongest, most rational interpretation of someones's claim, however badly they've made it, but still manage to demolish it. James O'Brien for example, can do this effortlessly.
Apart from when he's talking about anything remotely left-wing, it would seem.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Thosworth on November 17, 2021, 05:14:27 PM
Spending 10 minutes repeating "But you said you don't not agree, therefore you agree." over and over again is in no way 'winning' an argument.

No, but it can make for captivating and entertaining radio. Both Boyd and Lee would end that type of argumentative call by saying something like "that was fun" or "I didn't really care anyway". 'Winning' wasn't always the point.

The Bumlord

I had to Google Tommy Boyd to see what he's up to. He's looking well. Plus, dog.

Lost Oliver

Loving the Boyd love.[nb]Fantastic[/nb] There's a fan site that has lots of his old stuff on there for anyone who's curious http://tommyboydshrine.co.uk/

My favourite show was when he talked about de ja vu for an hour and then a week later did the exact same show. Wonderful.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 17, 2021, 01:52:32 PM
Tommy Boyd was fucking brilliant!
The perfect phone in host. Like you say, 100% grounded and comfortable with who he was and able to dial up and down different elements of his personality at any given time to bring the best out of each caller and situation.
There are wet pricks on here who think they're good trolls, but this guy was the absolute daddy and never malicious with it.

Remember the wonderful hour where people were encouraged to ring in with whatever made them happy, and Tommy would just bounce onboard, whatever it was, and wax lyrical about too many salt n vinegar crisps tearing your lips apart, or whatever, how life affirming it was. A full hour set aside to be positive, no arguing, no wind-ups, no bits, just to come on the radio and share whatever was brightening up your world.

That's the key I think, he was never malicious. Salt n Vinegar crisps tearing your lips apart is brilliant btw.

EggsLikeABird

I remember Tommy Boyd telling a story on the Wonderful hour about how an elderly woman dropped some change on the floor and said "please find it, its all I have until Friday" and everyone in the shop was searching and when they handed it over to the woman, there was about 40 quid in her hand. Everyone had the same idea "stick a few quid in for her." Now thats wonderful.

non capisco