Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Return of the Pound

Started by Arbiter, March 10, 2024, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dog

I've got a friend who actually collects pounds. He's got hundreds.

Quote from: Arbiter on March 10, 2024, 06:52:08 AMFor all the bleating yodelling of the Swiss

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 10, 2024, 12:18:52 PMI'd be careful - they may suddenly have a cultural renaissance - and you can never tell which direction that'll go in.

That new adaptation of Shogun is getting good reviews.

non capisco

Always been amused by the bit in Beastie Boys' 'Root Down' when MCA says "Jimmy Smith is my man, I want to give him a pound".

"You've been a good lad today, Jimmy Smith. Close your eyes and hold out your hand." 

Blumf

The Currency Susan is rocking the Heroin Chic look today

Senior Baiano

Return of the pound
Return of the pound
Return of the pound
You know it's brass and round

Terence Bowl

...but the third little piggy had built his currency on slavery and blood and even trying with all his might the big bad financial wolf just couldn't blow it down.

Gurke and Hare

Mark Morrison considers rewrite.

Sebastian Cobb

^ about time someone said this.

Probably doesn't matter what a nugget is relative to other currency so long as things like rent, electric, cheese and instant coffee cost silly money.

In all seriousness, the country's economy has weathered some stormy conditions and it's heartening to see it come out the other side now, for some well-earned stability in time for the new banknotes.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Dog on March 10, 2024, 12:21:50 PMI've got a friend who actually collects pounds. He's got hundreds.

I knew I'd find you here. Bet you'll be leaving the thread relieved.

Goldentony

the pound, john, look, you like pounds dont you? love pounds me you used to say all the time when we lived together

Proactive

Arbiter

buttgammon

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 10, 2024, 12:18:52 PMI'd be careful - they may suddenly have a cultural renaissance - and you can never tell which direction that'll go in.

I'm still considering how unwise it is to get a photo by the military base where Mishima committed seppuku, so hopefully not in the direction that would get me into lots of trouble!

Aaron500

I found a TEN POUND NOTE in the street today. Just flapping there in the wind and rain. Picked it up, then walked a few paces before turning round to check that no one had seen me, and if there were any other banknotes lying around if the person who had lost it was nearby. I then handed it in to the police station stuffed it in my pocket, transferring it to my wallet when I was sure the coast was clear.

So it seems the pound is so strong it's bursting out of people's pockets.

wrec

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 10, 2024, 09:25:57 AMThe fuck is a sterling buck?

For approx. 3 seconds I thought it was going to be some crypto insanity attached to His Majesty's reserves

shoulders

Look after the pennies John

I've got a fucking shite tonne of pennies John!

I could fill a skate park with the pennies I've forced up my arse John!!!

studpuppet

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 10, 2024, 02:30:04 PMMark Morrison considers rewrite.

David Van Day and Thereza Bazar consider re-naming.

Butchers Blind

Can I just shock you? I like the pound.

Senior Baiano

This is the return, of the pound sterling
Interplanetary god vibe zone
Say at the speed of cheeba, you and I go deeper
Baby I got to get high to get by

Buelligan

Yeah, well, you still have to get a fucking visa if you want to go on holiday.

Arbiter

And fortunately, they're extremely cheap because of the colossal weight of the PPPPOUND.

Give it two years and Poundland will be like Harrold"s for foreigner tourists.

dr beat

Quote from: studpuppet on March 10, 2024, 10:23:57 PMDavid Van Day and Thereza Bazar consider re-naming.

You know that, in a brilliant move, Thereza Bazar has formed her own reconstituted Dollar?

Ferris

Canadian dollar continuing its slide because everybody is suddenly too good for sawn lumber and fracking.

We'll just let it slide, play it cool til we got em right where we want em, then POW.

Ferris

Quote from: Aaron500 on March 10, 2024, 09:21:55 PMI found a TEN POUND NOTE in the street today. Just flapping there in the wind and rain.

You want to hold on to that, probably worth thirty quid these days

beanheadmcginty

Weird how for hundreds of years the British put up with having two separate things called the pound in daily use. To a foreigner, a market trader shouting "CARROTS. TWO POUND A POUND." must sound fucking bonkers.

popcorn

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 11, 2024, 08:43:36 PMWeird how for hundreds of years the British put up with having two separate things called the pound in daily use. To a foreigner, a market trader shouting "CARROTS. TWO POUND A POUND." must sound fucking bonkers.

The mysterious phrase "leave to remain", an especially relevant term for visitors, is a good one too.

Ferris

"Two pound (is) a pair" says the uneducated man in the flatcap, but I knew that before even entering the market so I'm finishing ahead.

All Surrogate

Quote from: non capisco on March 10, 2024, 12:32:10 PMAlways been amused by the bit in Beastie Boys' 'Root Down' when MCA says "Jimmy Smith is my man, I want to give him a pound".

"You've been a good lad today, Jimmy Smith. Close your eyes and hold out your hand." 

A different meaning of 'pound', perhaps?