Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Perfect sub 3 minute songs

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 16, 2024, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great song but it's the pedal steel that elevates it to godlike status

non capisco

Yeah, enduring love from this quarter for Hannah & Gabi. Love It's A Shame About Ray in general but that one's the standout. Always loved Dando's phrasing on the line "I can't hold you near. You just are....not here." Big old yearn of a song.

My immediate nomination for a perfect sub 3 minute song is Dion's thinly disguised tribute to how lush heroin apparently is 'Daddy Rollin' (In Your Arms)', if I alight on this thing of an evening it's not getting played just the once.

kalowski

Can I have Another Girl, Another Planet? To be fair it is exactly 3 mins hence the rushed final chord.

But it is perfect m

jamiefairlie

Even this extended single version is under 3 minutes.

A perfect pop song.

Sebastian Cobb

I love that Lemonheads lp. Confetti is great and 2:45 too.

one of my favourite bits in the title track is the 'shiny shine' backing vocal that comes out of nowhere and happens only once.

chabrol

Nearly every classic 60s Merle Haggard single counts, I reckon.

cosmic-hearse

The Vogues - 5 O'Clock World

The Flirtations - Nothing but a Heartache

The Castaways - Liar Liar

Sandi Shore - I'll Know Better (Next Time)

The Leaves - Too Many People

The Byrds - The World Turns All Around Her

The Left Banke - Pretty Ballerina

Bobbi Lynn - Earthquake

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Letter by The Box Tops doesn't even reach the two minute mark. It doesn't need to, it's perfect as it is.

cosmic-hearse

The Beckies - One of These Days

Flamin' Groovies - You Tore Me Down

Dana Gillespie - Andy Warhol

Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi

Buzzcocks - You Say You Don't Love Me

Another Pretty Face - All the Boys Love Carrie

The Wind - Wonder Track

Fairport Convention - Now be Thankful

Second nomination of the thread for The Byrds, I don't think anyone did short and sweet better

Catalogue Trousers

poloniusmonk

Betty Harris - There's a Break in The Road

Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light
Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

Both 2:59.

Mrgeebus

Jacques Dutronc - Les Cactus

Simply sublime.

idunnosomename

of course these days no way Steve wouldnt let it go without a third verse, acoustic intro, interminable leads repeated to point of saturation, woah-oh-oh bit etc.

Also always loved this from Blaze Bayley's first solo album. simple as hell, doesn't hang about. absolutely perfect finish under 3.

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on March 17, 2024, 11:29:36 AMThin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi
funny how I know off the top of my head without looking but this is over three minutes, always at least 3 and half. anyway I really wanted to say the original version had a third verse/pre- that got it over four minutes but Phil dropped it when it was put on Black Rose, much to the song's benefit.
(there is an extended studio version but this is the longer one performed live before Black Rose came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuSfg69G74 )

Positively an epic here from the Hollies ('Look Through Any Window' on the other hand is barely more than two minutes long).

Super Furries keeping it short and sweet here.

Jockice

Here Comes The Summer by The Undertones. My favourite single ever. Lasts about one and a half minutes. Of sheer perfection.

Bentpitch

Ana by Pixies. Lovely chord structure too.

idunnosomename

another thin lizzy, over in just 2:18 studio version

29 March 1978, shot to promote the Live and Dangerous album
again was longer originally, grew out of a slow blues number, later on they always did a version that started slow, which was a lot of fun, but the Johnny the Fox version is a ripper for how to the point it is.

speaking of rippers and live albums overdubbed to the point there's barely anything live left

Bartholomew J Krishna