Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,332
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kevin Godley briefly rejoins 10CC

Started by TheMonk, March 29, 2024, 06:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

Kevin Godley climbed up with Graham Gouldnan's current 10CC lineup this week at Royal Albert Hall. This performance of Cry is impressive. Surely he hasn't sung it live often?
He sang on Old Wild Men and drummed along to Rubber Bullets too.

Brundle-Fly

The annoying thing about that clip is that it doesn't show Godley being unexpectedly introduced onto the stage by Gouldman and the crowd going completely wild. I have to confess, I do love those particular rarified gig moments.

dontpaintyourteeth

Nice. I know GG is on good terms with Godley and Creme, but there's defintely no love between him and Eric Stewart.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on March 29, 2024, 07:40:58 PMNice. I know GG is on good terms with Godley and Creme, but there's defintely no love between him and Eric Stewart.
Aye, I read an article about "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" where Stewart pretty much accuses Gouldman of taking unmerited songwriting credits.

Article: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-i-m-mandy-fly-me-by-10cc

"Gouldman is always taking credit for things that he didn't do," Stewart complains. "It's pathetic."

I probably did read that back in the day, but I was thinking of this one from 3 weeks ago where Stewart's name comes up and Gouldman refuses to talk about him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/10ccs-graham-gouldman-if-somebody-says-that-song-made-me-cry-job-done-ptgqzzgqd

QuoteIn 1987 he and the American singer-songwriter Andrew Gold had a hit as Wax, with the obscenely catchy single Bridge to Your Heart. That project was "very fruitful", Gouldman says. "I'd come out of a very disagreeable relationship with Eric [Stewart]." What had made it disagreeable? He shakes his head.

Article also mentioned that Godley designed the visuals for the current tour.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2024, 07:53:25 PMAye, I read an article about "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" where Stewart pretty much accuses Gouldman of taking unmerited songwriting credits.

Article: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-i-m-mandy-fly-me-by-10cc

"Gouldman is always taking credit for things that he didn't do," Stewart complains. "It's pathetic."

Stewart has always seemed like a bit of a moaner to me.
I remember him complaining about Gouldman carrying on 10cc without him - even though he'd left and Gouldman never did.
Gouldman is the Bobby Gee here.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 29, 2024, 09:21:58 PMStewart has always seemed like a bit of a moaner to me.
I remember him complaining about Gouldman carrying on 10cc without him - even though he'd left and Gouldman never did.

IIRC he had a good bitch about working with McCartney and Hugh Padgham on Press To Play too.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 29, 2024, 09:21:58 PMStewart has always seemed like a bit of a moaner to me.
I think, in Gouldman's favour, he had a pretty solid hit-making pedigree before 10cc happened. It would be a bit strange for him to start claiming stuff that wasn't his.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2024, 11:40:53 PMI think, in Gouldman's favour, he had a pretty solid hit-making pedigree before 10cc happened. It would be a bit strange for him to start claiming stuff that wasn't his.

Exactly, he was songwriter for hire by a few late 60s bands.
No Milk Today, Bus Stop and For Your Love were his.

buzby

Quote from: TheMonk on March 29, 2024, 06:06:41 AMKevin Godley climbed up with Graham Gouldnan's current 10CC lineup this week at Royal Albert Hall. This performance of Cry is impressive. Surely he hasn't sung it live often?
He sang on Old Wild Men and drummed along to Rubber Bullets too.
I don't think Godley and Creme ever performed live.
Godley has sung Old Wild Men with Gouldman's 10CC before - here they are in 2007 at Shepherd's Bush Empire:

They recorded an EP, GG/06, together in 2006. He performed one of the tracks from it, beuatifulloser.com at that Shepherd's Bush concert.

Gouldman's 10cc toured the Sheet Music album in 2016 and he asked Godley to appear to sing Somewhere In Hollywood, but Godley thought it was too difficult to do live so he recorded a new vocal take and sent him a film of him singing it which the band could play to.

In 2018 Godley was asked to contribute a couple more videos for Gouldman's tour. One was Son Of Man, one of the GG/06 tracks which basically told the story of how 10cc formed and was used as the band's intro.

For Gouldman's 2019 tour, Godley made a video for I'm Not In Love:

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 30, 2024, 12:03:42 AMExactly, he was songwriter for hire by a few late 60s bands.
No Milk Today, Bus Stop and For Your Love were his.
Also Sausalito, credited to Ohio Express, when Gouldman was contracted to bubblegum pop producers Kasenetz & Katz in 1969. The track was recorded in UK with Gouldman on vocals and the other members of what would become 10cc.

benjitz

Still got good pipes innee, that Godley? I'm impressed.