Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

If anything sucks about the internet exchanges its Ronda trying to do face things. Like that advice she gave backstage at Raw. She wants to be liked. Ultimately it will get her more booed but they letting her be too nice.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 03:53:47 PM
Childish or not. The tweets are happening because they're in a feud.

Not a good face though, is she.

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 13, 2019, 03:52:28 PM
Timothy. Are you aware of Conor McGregor?

Now image a girl one but who can't call people fucking cunts every other word because, you know, tele. That's the gimmick.

She's Stone Cold Conor McGregor now, aye?

Timothy

So from a kayfabe standpoint Rousey wants the match to happen and even says the women's revolution was robbed because they aren't putting Lynch in the match and Lynch reacts by insulting Rousey over and over again. She keeps taunting Rousey, even though she's suspended and not in the match. It makes no sense.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 03:54:03 PM
That's just plain stupid. Shouldn't she be focusing her insults on the McMahon's or HHH? Because from a kayfabe standpoint she won't be at Mania.

She's going to be wrestling Ronda.

QuoteYup. Wouldn't be a good WWE face.

You must not have watched during the days of Stone Cold and The Rock.

hummingofevil

Becky's shifting character has always been more Conor than Austin. Yes there is the accent and the hair but why the hell not. If she makes 1/100th of the money Conor does she will be set for life. You can be a dick and be popular (I'm talking pre-Khabib Conor here not trying to kill people Conor mind).

Timothy

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 03:57:56 PM
She's going to be wrestling Ronda.

From a kayfabe standpoint she isn't though. She's suspended.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 13, 2019, 03:55:02 PM
Not a good face though, is she.

Yes. Because she's saying things that she knows will get a positive reaction from the majority of the fans, y'know, like what a face should do.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 03:59:09 PM
From a kayfabe standpoint she isn't though. She's suspended.

She still wants to though. And will.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 03:57:56 PM
You must not have watched during the days of Stone Cold and The Rock.

You mean faces who insult people that are dicks to them? I don't think that's what we sayinnnnn'

Timothy

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 03:59:30 PM
Yes. Because she's saying things that she knows will get a positive reaction from the majority of the fans, y'know, like what a face should do.

Yeah no. I think we both have fundamentally different ideas what a face is and should do. Putting down your opponent, not giving your opponent a chance to react and not respecting your opponent even though your opponent respects you just to get the fans to cheer you doesn't make someone a good face. A face should be the right where the heel should be the wrong. 

QuoteYou mean faces who insult people that are dicks to them? I don't think that's what we sayinnnnn'

Exactly. Putting down your opponent even though your opponent respects you doesn't make any sense kayfabe wise.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 03:56:21 PM
So from a kayfabe standpoint Rousey wants the match to happen and even says the women's revolution was robbed because they aren't putting Lynch in the match and Lynch reacts by insulting Rousey over and over again. She keeps taunting Rousey, even though she's suspended and not in the match. It makes no sense.

Perhaps its because she knows she's coming back next week during Ric's birthday party to fuck Charlotte up, putting her out of action and forcing Vince to reinstate her as without her Ronda would be left fighting Sarah Logan or someone.

Its all fake. Think long enough and you can always make it make some kind of sense. Its how Vince books. Backwards.

Deanjam

Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena all did dickish things as good guys. Being babyface just means aiming to get cheered rather than being a goody two shoes.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 13, 2019, 04:01:03 PM
You mean faces who insult people that are dicks to them? I don't think that's what we sayinnnnn'

Come on, Stone Cold and The Rock used to tear into everyone, whether someone was being a dick to them or not. I mean, when the Rock came back a couple years ago he walked through the backstage area ripping into everyone in the locker room with no provocation. Austin used to run out in matches and stunner faces and heels at random, whether he was feuding with them or not.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 04:01:54 PM
Yeah no. I think we both have fundamentally different ideas what a face is and should do. Putting down your opponent, not giving your opponent a chance to react and not respecting your opponent even though your opponent respects you just to get the fans to cheer you doesn't make someone a good face. A face should be the right where the heel should be the wrong. 

Exactly. Putting down your opponent even though your opponent respects you doesn't make any sense kayfabe wise.

I think your idea of what a face is or should be is outdated by about 30 years.

ToneLa

Please no more faces who are happy smiling patriots!

Timothy

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 04:04:19 PM
I think your idea of what a face is or should be is outdated by about 30 years.

Being a face is not just ''do anything you can to make sure you get cheered''.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on February 13, 2019, 04:02:27 PM
Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena all did dickish things as good guys. Being babyface just means aiming to get cheered rather than being a goody two shoes.

I'm not saying Becky is the first face to do something stupid. All of her actions don't need to be justified just to prove you're a fan. If Roman was doing this, you'd be jumping up his arse.

BeardFaceMan

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 04:05:51 PM
Being a face is not just ''do anything you can to make sure you get cheered''.

I don't understand why this bothers you. It's either this or "Becky took advantage of the fans cheering"

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on February 13, 2019, 04:02:27 PM

Exactly. Becky is being a dick on Twitter because it's funny. It's Twitter. It's how Twitter works. Type in "burn" into gif search and there are millions of them.

Timothy

I just don't understand why people disliked wrestlers like Cena and Roman pandering to the crowd, being overbooked and being ''super''booked but are liking it now it happens to one of their favorites.

A face making cheap insults to a heel just to get cheers is just a bit annoying and cheap imo. Mainly because, from kayfabe standpoint, it doesn't make any sense.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 13, 2019, 04:06:13 PM
I'm not saying Becky is the first face to do something stupid. All of her actions don't need to be justified just to prove you're a fan. If Roman was doing this, you'd be jumping up his arse.

And not everything Becky does needs to be jumped on and turned into a negative just because you don't like her. If Alexa was doing this, you'd be loving it. See, we can both play that game?

I just find the arguments against her by you, and mainly Timothy, to be really dense and point missing. Like Timothy said yesterday he couldn't understand why fans randomly suddenly started cheering Becky at Evolution. And when I explained the entire feud point by point and why she started to get those big reactions, he just ignored it, which is a trend I've noticed. When a point is disproven, it's either ignored or the goal posts are moved.

hummingofevil

Quote from: ToneLa on February 13, 2019, 04:05:17 PM
Please no more faces who are happy smiling patriots!

New Japan just called to tell you you're wrong. :)

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 04:08:49 PM
I just don't understand why people disliked wrestlers like Cena and Roman pandering to the crowd, being overbooked and being ''super''booked but are liking it now it happens to one of their favorites.

A face making cheap insults to a heel just to get cheers is just a bit annoying and cheap imo. Mainly because, from kayfabe standpoint, it doesn't make any sense.

Because people like Becky.

ToneLa

What should they do then? Shake hands? "May the best man / woman win!"

Who are your favourite faces ever anyway?

Ja'moke

Also, faces making cheap insults to get cheers is pretty much all faces in WWE, except for maybe Mustafa Ali.

Timothy

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 13, 2019, 04:09:05 PM
And not everything Becky does needs to be jumped on and turned into a negative just because you don't like her. If Alexa was doing this, you'd be loving it. See, we can both play that game?

I just find the arguments against her by you, and mainly Timothy, to be really dense and point missing. Like Timothy said yesterday he couldn't understand why fans randomly suddenly started cheering Becky at Evolution. And when I explained the entire feud point by point and why she started to get those big reactions, he just ignored it, which is a trend I've noticed. When a point is disproven, it's either ignored or the goal posts are moved.

You indeed explained the feud to me. And imo I still didn't get why this feud launched Becky into Stone Cold popularity because imo it was nothing special. Normally when people are suddenly really over something special happens, like the pipebomb with Punk or the Yes chants with DB. This was just a regular feud with decent matches in which one of the wrestlers suddenly rised to stardom. It also made me question why people are still shitting over Charlotte, even though she was just as important in that feud and deserves to be in the Mania main event..
But because I thought it would be pointless to react, because you all disagree anyway, I decided to drop the subject. Most of you loved it, I didn't get it, so best to leave it at that.

I asked the Twitter question because I was genuinly curious why it would make any sense from a kayfabe standpoint.

And if Alexa would do it I would also hate it. I hate smarky faces and smarky heels.

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 04:01:54 PM
Putting down your opponent, not giving your opponent a chance to react and not respecting your opponent even though your opponent respects you just to get the fans to cheer you doesn't make someone a good face.

The Rock in 1999 and 2000 set the all-time record for drawing the most big gates in one year while doing exactly this.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 13, 2019, 04:15:39 PM
You indeed explained the feud to me. And imo it wasn't a really special feud. I still didn't get why this feud launched Becky into Stone Cold popularity because imo it was nothing special. Normally when people are suddenly really over something special happens, like the pipebomb with Punk or the Yes chants with DB. This was just a regular feud in which one of the wrestlers suddenly rised to stardom. But because I thought it would be pointless to react, because you all disagree anyway, I decided to drop the subject.

I asked the Twitter question because I was genuinly curious why it would make any sense from a kayfabe standpoint.

And if Alexa would do it I would also hate it.

But the problem is you just keep talking about your opinion, when opinion doesn't really come into it. You don't need to have enjoyed the feud personally to see that's how and when Becky got over. You just have to have watched, understood the storyline and heard the crowd reactions. It's all there from August-October. So to say "I don't understand - the crowd just started cheering Becky at Evolution because they picked her at random" is being obtuse. If you must have a pinpoint specific moment, then it's probably when she attacked Charlotte after the Summerslam match.

hummingofevil

Remember... uurrrm... almost exactly only one year ago when they brought in a UFC superstar, paid her 10 times more than most people on the roster and got her to walk out at the end of the first ever women's Royal Rumble to upstage the talented women who had worked their arses off to get the division where it was and was then given a top billing match at the biggest show of the year with two of the biggest figures in WWE history (and arguable the greatest in-ring worker on her team to help her out) before winning the title when green-as after only a few weeks in the company AND all this was set up by her gatecrash the Mania 3 years early WITH THE BIGGEST FILM STAR IN THE WORLD?

Remember that? What type of booking was that?