Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games with enjoyable maze or sewer levels/bits

Started by Rev+, February 21, 2024, 08:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

KennyMonster

Quote from: badaids on February 21, 2024, 08:54:58 PMLast Ninja 2 on the c64.

Yes!

I still use the free rubber shuriken as a coaster in my working from home set up.

BJBMK2

madhair60

Ratchet and Clank 1
Turtles in Time Sewer Surfin
PS1 Frogger, the music has fart sounds too it's hilarious lmao

Shaxberd

I like the little maze puzzles in Breath of the Wild as a variation on the shrines, it helps that they're brief (and you can cheat by climbing).

Johnny Textface

Kelvin

Quote from: Shaxberd on February 22, 2024, 02:46:18 PMI like the little maze puzzles in Breath of the Wild as a variation on the shrines, it helps that they're brief (and you can cheat by climbing).

The labyrinths? Yeah, they were going to be my answer too. They have a mysterious vibe, aren't obnoxiously hard, and tend to reward dead ends with chests anyway.

Tears of the Kingdom has a really cool variation, where the surface labyrinth has a trail to follow, then another labyrinth in the sky above requires you to abseil through the maze... and then finally, once both labyrinths are completed, you fly up to the top of the sky maze and dive straight off the top, down through the sky, down past all these stone markers, then down through a tiny door in the floor of the surface maze and down into the dark of the depths, only to come out in a boss fight for some cool armour.

I think they're the only time when the game properly incorporates the ground, sky and depths in one interconnected puzzle. It's great.     

Magnum Valentino

badaids

Quote from: KennyMonster on February 22, 2024, 12:32:45 PMYes!

I still use the free rubber shuriken as a coaster in my working from home set up.

I'd forgotten that came with it.  Wasn't it banned eventually?

kalowski

My answer to nearly every game thread: Saboteur on the ZX Spectrum.

Kelvin

EDIT:   I used the phrase "under-rated", so I will banish my post to the gap between dimensions!! What a worthless creation that post was!

Mister Six

I like the randomly generated dungeon in Infinite Wealth but it's more of a building foundation/basement than a sewer even if it steals assets from the sewer dungeons of its predecessor, Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Mister Six on February 23, 2024, 05:41:30 AMI like the randomly generated dungeon in Infinite Wealth but it's more of a building foundation/basement than a sewer even if it steals assets from the sewer dungeons of its predecessor, Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

Was about to post that myself. They did a great job of combining the sewer dungeons and the Sotenbori Battle Arena of 7 into a much better experience in 8.

Norton Canes

Mister Six

Quote from: letsgobrian on February 23, 2024, 12:14:13 PMWas about to post that myself. They did a great job of combining the sewer dungeons and the Sotenbori Battle Arena of 7 into a much better experience in 8.

RGG are masters of honing and perfecting their games.

Gurke and Hare

Noodle Lizard

What I don't get though, right, is that there are all these sewers in games, all full of shit and waste. But here's the thing: never a toilet.

No toilets.

Noodle Lizard

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 26, 2024, 05:38:17 AMNobody ever takes a shit in Dark Souls.
Some enemies shit on their clubs and hit you with them.

madhair60

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 26, 2024, 05:37:10 AMWhat I don't get though, right, is that there are all these sewers in games, all full of shit and waste. But here's the thing: never a toilet.

No toilets.

what about the hundreds of thousands of times that there are toilets

Noodle Lizard

madhair60

Pink Gregory

There were toilets in Digimon World.  You had to take your Digimon to poo in them otherwise they'd digivolve into the Poo Digimon.  Which happened to me a lot incidentally.

Shaxberd

Pretty much the only thing I know about Duke Nukem is that you could go for a piss in a urinal. I don't know if the game let you piss anywhere else.

BJBMK2

BJBMK2

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 26, 2024, 04:14:40 PMThere were toilets in Digimon World.  You had to take your Digimon to poo in them otherwise they'd digivolve into the Poo Digimon.  Which happened to me a lot incidentally.

That game always had such a desolate, lonely vibe, it's like the first Tomb Raider.

Underturd

The Cistern in Tomb Raider. At least when you know what you're doing. Until then it's a cunt.