Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Last Night in SoHo

Started by phantom_power, May 25, 2021, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Saw this tonight and thought it was a bit of a mess.   I mean, it LOOKS amazing, but I thought the story was all over the place and, with the exception of maybe Diana Rigg, I thought a lot of the acting in it was pretty awful.   The lead and her boyfriend in particular.

It's also another one of these films where the dialogue is really quiet but THE MUSIC IS FUCKING DEAFENING. 

Chalk me up as another one who didn't like Baby Driver.  Like Last Night in Soho it had a good sountrack and the visuals were great, but the character of Baby Driver was so bland and unlikeable, and Lily James' character was terrible. 

beanheadmcginty

There's a bit in this where Cilla Black is about to start singing in the club and she's introduced as "MISS CILLLAAA BLAAACK" in exactly the same way as she was announced in the intro to Blind Date in the 80s/90s. Was she genuinely always introduced in this way even before Blind Date, or is this a little joke from that cheeky scamp Edgar?

phantom_power

After a shaky start I really enjoyed this. It looked great, the music was fantastic, the plot intriguing and some great acting (particularly the joint female leads). On the negative side, some of the acting was a bit ropey (the nemesis, the boyfriend), the boyfriend was too nice and some of the twists a bit obvious, but this is a giallo homage so those things are sort of par for the course.

It is my least favourite Wright film but I pretty much love everything else he has done so it is faint criticism. I like that he played it pretty much straight for the first time.

timebug

Saw this last night and enjoyed it. I had not read anything about it,online or anywhere else, so had no pre-conceived expectations. Just took it for what it was, and loved it!

zomgmouse

I watched this finally yesterday with a friend, didn't hate it as much as I was led to believe I would be certainly not very good. I did like quite a lot of aspects of it, some inventive visual moments and elements but really heavily let down by the script.

Custard

Mostly enjoyed this, but the ending was a bit plops. Laughed at
Spoiler alert
the twist, and then her landlady being a mad eyed killer
[close]
It was pretty good until that.

Banging soundtrack though. One of the best I've heard in a while

dead-ced-dead

I saw this the other week. I mostly liked it, but agree that the twist was just poor.

I'm really starting to think that Thomasin McKenzie has the right stuff for career longevity. She's great at accents and seems keen to throw herself into as many genres as possible.

Mister Six

She's fucking brilliant throughout, and deserves to have all the success in the world.

Custard

Yeah, she was very good in JoJo Rabbit too

Jim_MacLaine

Just saw this tonight. Meh. A bit pedestrian in story, style and soundtrack choices. Like an MFP compilation of the 60's.

Doesn't help that I think Matt Smith is a bobbins actor as is confirmed in this.

the science eel

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on December 26, 2021, 10:24:13 PMDoesn't help that I think Matt Smith is a bobbins actor as is confirmed in this.

he's awful, ugly and a smug twat

Mister Six

YOU LEAVE MATT SMITH ALONE!

Quote from: the science eel on December 27, 2021, 08:57:13 PMhe's awful, ugly and a smug twat

I was at my mum's when he was on the TV being announced as the new Doctor Who.  My mum looked at him silently for a while and then said "I have taught some very strange children whose heads were that shape".

My mum is not, as far as I know, a medically trained head-shape expert but she did teach primary for more than 40 years.  I can't see him on TV now without wondering if he had been a very strange child.

Mister Six

rectorofstiffkey's mum is a phrenological racist. Fact.

IIRC Matt Smith used to poke about on here and was upset when his casting was first announced and people mad fun of his appearance, so let's not, eh?

And I think he's a tremendous actor and a lovely man.

zomgmouse

Mister Six

Living up to your name.

This was mentioned years ago on the Who threads. There was something about Tennant being told to look here and being upset about people calling him "rat-faced" too, I think.

zomgmouse

did either of them post anything?

Mister Six

No, I don't believe so. It sounded like they were just poking about on here rather than being proper CaBbers like Jonathan King.

zomgmouse

Glebe

Watched this last night (thought not in Soho, boom boom), enjoyed it for the most part, the visuals and soundtrack are spellbinding but I wish it didn't turn into
Spoiler alert
such a straight-forward murder-mystery
[close]
towards the end. Also could have done without
Spoiler alert
those cheesy zombie ghost men.
[close]

checkoutgirl

This was so crap I couldn't even be arsed watching the last 20 minutes.

Aye, shiter, innit?

First hour was promising enough, but they pissed it all away in the second half.

At the time I thought it was a decision made by the actress to use that forced cutesy little lost lamb voice, and it never stopped being grating, but I watched "Old" the other night (god awful) and she spoke off camera before she was shown and I was like "fuck, it's her!"

Is that her actual voice?

Glebe

It's very frustrating because it feels like half a great movie.

Yeah, I was all in for the first half.

Glebe

I thought at first that
Spoiler alert
Terence Stamp might actually be the vice copper
[close]
... then I forgot about that so
Spoiler alert
when it did actually turn out to be him I thought
[close]
"Oh yeah I thought that earlier". That sounds a bit stupid the way I'm explaining it.

When Diana Rigg
Spoiler alert
invites Ellie in for a cuppa I thought at first she might introduce her to the real older Jack who happened to be a friend or summit.
[close]
It becomes obvious pretty quickly that she's
Spoiler alert
actually Sandie and has drugged the tea.
[close]

olliebean

Unfortunately, I spoiled it for myself by looking at the un-spoiler-warninged
Spoiler alert
cast list on IMDb.
[close]

neveragain

Saw this last night and enjoyed it but this thread has pointed out a lot of flaws, of which I was actually vaguely aware (the dragging mid-section, the boyfriend, what we see happen to x and then what we're told not tallying up). Things I did enjoy, in spite of criticism, include the melodramatic twist and the dialogue with the art students. In fact, all the uni type stuff I really enjoyed. Thomasina and whoever plays Jocasta were great.

So anyway, a mixed bag but not tricksy in the way I expected of Wright, I agree with the poster who said it seems more mature. Reminded me of Peter Jackson's The Frighteners in that it looked fabulous but just kept going on. 7/10 I'd state.

neveragain

ThomaSIN... Not Thomasina!
(editing doesn't work on my phone)