Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Strangest bit part by a UK comedian

Started by Twilkes, March 25, 2024, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

In an episode of women's wrestling show GLOW, James Bachman popped up as a cameraman filming the wrestling match for the pilot show - he had a couple of lines, nothing particularly memorable or significant, but it's the kind of role that anyone with a decent face and able to remember a few words could have done. How did he end up with that, does he live in America? Was he trying to break into Hollywood?

Any odd shows/films you've seen British comedians appear?

IIRC James Acaster only got the role in Cinderella because someone dropped out and the director had watched Acaster's Netflix specials earlier this day and literally said 'Hey, how about this guy?'.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Twilkes on March 25, 2024, 11:33:15 AMIIRC James Acaster only got the role in Cinderella because someone dropped out and the director had watched Acaster's Netflix specials earlier this day and literally said 'Hey, how about this guy?'.

It was supposed to be John Mulaney. That's why James is called John, and James Corden and Romesh Ranganathan get to keep their names. It may have been when John was going through rehab.

mrapollo

Quote from: Twilkes on March 25, 2024, 11:33:15 AMIn an episode of women's wrestling show GLOW, James Bachman popped up as a cameraman filming the wrestling match for the pilot show - he had a couple of lines, nothing particularly memorable or significant, but it's the kind of role that anyone with a decent face and able to remember a few words could have done. How did he end up with that, does he live in America? Was he trying to break into Hollywood?

Yes James Bachman has lived in the US for quite a few years (although he is now moving back to the UK). He also turned up in Transformers: Age Of Extinction and a few other things.

madhair60

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I haven't seen the film, but Steve Pemberton and Mark Gatiss both turn up briefly in Woody Allen's Match Point. I believe Gatiss doesn't even have any lines.

Stinky Lomax

Oh yeah, all three onscreen LoG guys also appear in Birthday Girl, that Nicole Kidman/Ben Chaplin movie, except one of them (I think Gatiss again?) is barely identifiable and you'd only know it was him if you'd recognised the other two and you were scouring the screen for him. I think they're all playing airport hotel employees or something...

dead-ced-dead

Reece Shearsmith pops up towards the end of Venom 2 as a priest being threatened into performing a wedding for Carnage and his missus.

DrGreggles

Didn't Bachman land a writer's room gig in LA?
Probably got a few bit parts through that.

Mr Trumpet

David Schneider in 28 Days Later

Hugh Dennis in No Time to Die (presumably a Phoebe Waller-Bridge connection there)

Mark Heap and Kevin Eldon in the Johnny Depp Wonka film

ros vulgaris

Shearsmith was in Saltburn too, as the Oxford professor.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 25, 2024, 12:21:41 PMDavid Schneider in 28 Days Later

Also in Mission: Impossible and the film of The Saint.

Utter Shit

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 25, 2024, 12:20:09 PMDidn't Bachman land a writer's room gig in LA?
Probably got a few bit parts through that.
Been a while since I've seen him post, but you can ask him yourself! @James Bachman

Twilkes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 25, 2024, 12:28:59 PMAlso in Mission: Impossible and the film of The Saint.

Haha yeah, his Eurostar driver really took me out of the Hollywood feel of the first MI movie:

It would be like remaking The Dark Crystal and casting Pob.

Shaxberd

Not that odd as it's a fairly whimsical film, but always catches me out when a youngish Bruce Forsyth pops up in Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Rob Brydon turning up for about 30 seconds in Barbie. That was bizarre.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on March 25, 2024, 12:18:19 PMReece Shearsmith pops up towards the end of Venom 2 as a priest being threatened into performing a wedding for Carnage and his missus.

Laughed so hard at this post. I've even seen the fucking film and can't remember that.

Minami Minegishi

AnOrdinaryBoy

John Sessions in Gangs of New York playing someone playing Lincoln. It was quite strange to see Kevin Eldon pop up in Hugo. Guess Marty has a secret thing for British comedians.

Underturd

In the 1980s, Tim McInnerny in a drama about the murder of the Romanovs, playing a taciturn Russian guard. We only knew him from Blackadder.

George White

Brucie in the 1983 Soviet Scorsese/Michael Powell produced miniseries Pavlova

Norton Canes

Glebe

It's a Kenneth Branagh film so maybe not that strange but there's Doddy as Yorick in Branagh's Hamlet alongside a big starry cast that includes the likes of Robin Williams, Jack Lemmon, Billy Crystal and Charlton Heston.

Branagh regular and sitcom king Richard Briers is in there too... also appears alongside De Niro in Branagh's Frankenstein, I recall Ignatius making the fair point that Briers was a serious thesp who just happened to have a bit of a comedy career though.

Twilkes

That's a good point, I'm guessing there was a lot of bemusement when Frank Spencer got the lead role in Phantom If The Opera.

Icehaven

Not a comedian as such but pre-OFAH Roger Lloyd-Pack was in an episode of The Professionals as an Eastern European terrorist. Not that strange as such as a jobbing actor but more the juxtaposition between being an Eastern European terrorist and Trigger.

Pete23

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2024, 11:52:33 AMjim davidson in Color Me Kubrick

Also played a zoo keeper in Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts

Glebe

Quote from: Icehaven on March 25, 2024, 01:35:43 PMNot a comedian as such but pre-OFAH Roger Lloyd-Pack was in an episode of The Professionals as an Eastern European terrorist. Not that strange as such as a jobbing actor but more the juxtaposition between being an Eastern European terrorist and Trigger.

Also had a small part in 1984. In Harry Potter as well of course and the movie version of Tinker Tailior Soldier Spy.

Armin Meiwes

Mel Smith popping up as a racist garage owner in Babylon (not that one) was a surprise.

Mel Smith was also in National Lampoon's European Vacation as a grumpy hotel worker.