Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Manager 2015

Started by Junglist, October 31, 2014, 04:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junglist

I'm not at home at the moment so can't do a proper OP, will edit later. Just wanna say if anyone wants a free code to the beta on Steam I have one spare (it runs for another week) so if you want it, PM me and I'll chuck it your way. Claimed.

The game itself has multiple changes (new tactics screen takes a while to get used to), and bar the typical beta flaws its the best version I've played in a while. You feel more in control over matters, and its a little bit harder. Tactics you really need to work at. Width and stretching the opposition is the key (I rock a 4-1-2-3, with three strikers who fluctuate and move all over their defence line, its pretty killer).

billyandthecloneasaurus

Guido from our other forum ruined fm14 for me; using his strikerless sexy football felt cheap, but knowing how good it was made it frustrating using my own shit tactics.

I tend to use 4-2-3-1, with a conventional winger on one side and an inside forward on the other. 

Only played a bit but really hope the full release does something about the new tactics screen as it's a mess. Not only does it look a real dogs dinner but functionality has plummeted. The default version doesn't appear to show player positions and moving players in and out of the team has, somehow, become a real chore.

Good points: my non league team are a bit up and down with my super fluid 4-4-2 because as it takes a lot longer to scout players I haven't been able to get the right men in yet. A lot better than previous versions where I would have a Conference North challenging side within about two weeks of taking over... shame the UI is almost as bad on the setting scout assignments and searching for players screens as it is on the tactics screen though.

Junglist

I'm fine with the tactics screen, its relatively simple to use. A drop down list of players who can play that position, with strength of ability in the position, and fitness levels. Click on the positions on the pitch and you can edit individual instructions. Felt clunky at first but its clicked.

Why have a drop down list though? Just show the player positions and either right click to fill up the next available spot or drag the players into the right position... like every year forever. And the pitch view on the right has less info than previously for no logical reason I can think off.

Junglist

I'm not debating that it should've stayed the same, I agree. It was fine, and flawless as was, but its not a travesty. Its not excellent, but its manageable. There will probably be a skin at some point that reverts it, possibly.

You're right and sorry if I seemed snappy but it irritates me that this kind of thing happens every year in some part of the game.

I should probably get out more.

Junglist

Nah its good man, didn't come across as snappy. I've posted elsewhere about my disdain with SI, they need to build a new engine and advance the game somewhat rather than pithy little changes every year which in some way or another bork the match engine, or the flow. More press conference questions/answers and a slight rejig of the scouting system doesn't cut it.

This is pretty much the same engine that FM05 launched with, that's nine years of just fucking about with it. Monopoly on the market though, they'll do what they want as millions will still snap it up.

Utter Shit

I've got the beta installed thanks to my pre-order but won't be arsing with it, better to wait until the full version is out.

Disagree with you Junglist about your issues with SI. They make mistakes with new innovations just like any other franchise game - for example, I'm not convinced by this manager stat thing at the start of the game in the new version - surely the game already has a far more detailed and organic way of confirming your manager type simply by analysing the decisions you make throughout the game ("Utter Shit tends to avoid press conferences"). I'd rather the game tell me I'm crap at man-management because I keep forgetting that Hatem Ben Arfa is insane and doesn't react well to constructive criticism than because I put my "man-management" score at a lowly 5 to ensure I was able to max out my "good at organising set pieces" stat...but they have essentially mastered the fundamentals at this point, so making any major changes is likely to cause more harm than good - the only real way forward is to keep tweaking it and gradually improving the bits that are still limited by technology.

Obviously they are still somewhat limited in terms of how good the match engine can be (my computer is only a couple of years old and the game runs fine but not especially quickly) but it is notably improving year on year - the early editions were dreadful whereas now it's perfectly functional, so claiming there's little difference since FM05 is completely wide of the mark IMO.

The only other issue I have with the game, as you've mentioned, is the media interaction which has remained incredibly tedious for a good few years - that's the only area where I think they are missing a great opportunity to add further depth to the game, as the media plays such a major part. I think from following Miles Thingy on Twitter that this might be a somewhat deliberate ploy, they seem very wary of going too deep in any elements which aren't directly related to the football, but in the modern world the media IS a major part of the game in real life...so to me it's an oversight. But that's the only major failing as far as I'm concerned. It's a near-perfect football management simulator and has been for a good few years now. 

Junglist

I didn't claim there was little difference to FM05, there's a whole world of change. Its just based on the same engine, which they keep adding to. I tried to go back to FM08 about a year back as I loved that version when it came around, but whilst playable, its pretty bare bones in most places. I was more stating I'd like a new engine, and as such a new match engine as with each one they release, they cock it up initially. Last year it was full backs being utterly useless, this time round it seems to be goalkeepers (at times, I've had good performances from them, and other runs which seem like a comedy of errors, week in week out) and over the top balls. Oh, and high scores, I beat Wigan 12-0 earlier, and then won 6-5 away at Spurs. I've also won 9-0, 7-1 and 7-0. All those results are in the space of five months).They normally get it working fine by around March.

Would like something new is all, a bit swish and modern. The load times are shit hot compared to previous versions and seem to improve each year, and I love the game, I always will.

Utter Shit

Ah right I misunderstood your point there! I thought I heard it mentioned that the new instalment did have a new engine, is that not the case?

Junglist

The Match Engine animations and such have been improved, it certainly looks a bit better in 3D. They used motion capture this year.

Utter Shit

Quite excited now. It's sitting there on my desktop waiting to be played.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They need to mix up the media banter a bit more.

"Jose Mourinho has described you as a 'voyeur' like the sort of people who look into other people's homes to see what they're doing"

Do you:
-Deck the cunt
-Call the man 'A thunderous masturbatory turd'
-Rise above it but lose 3-0 anyway

Utter Shit

I'M NOT A FACKIN WHEELA DEELA I'M A FOOTBOW MANAGER

Junglist

My United side, midway through the third season, has just five of the original squad we know today left. Donning it with three strikers too, proper breathtaking football, until you see your goalkeeper spill the ball, fall to the floor and forget to get up. If they ironed the odd, glaring bugs with the ME (along with the long known issue of getting injuries/knocks EVERY FUCKING GAME) this would easily be the best version in a while. You have to handle coaching more (no longer can you get a single five star coach per area, you need to balance it), there's more interaction with players (the ability to talk to a potential signing who isn't overly interested in joining you is a Godsend. I got Pogba second season by promising captaincy and he's unbelievably good), and although it feels a bit tacked on, discussing with your squad as/why they're upset is fun.

Mobius

Is the demo out for this? It says the game comes out in a couple of days but I can't see the demo anywhere. I've gotten myself all excited and called in sick to work and now I feel like a prat.

I think I read on the SI forum that a demo would be out 'a few days' before game was released. The game is available now but in beta form.

Junglist

You can also get the beta by creating an account on Amazon using fakenamegenerator, ordering it, getting the beta code sent to your email, then cancelling your order. Or just use your own account, you don't get charged til its shipped, so order/cancel is easy.

TheFalconMalteser

The last version fucking well destroyed any patience I have with the game.  Two month long total wastes of time.

The first attempt was getting Droylsden out of whatever cunnyflap division they begin in, which involved laboriously mapping out stats to get a basic direct ball game to a target man.  Finally got promoted and the game refused to allow you to resign players, so everyone left.  Every fucker.

Then spent 4 four seasons in Celtic, new game, runners up in the Champions League.  Had bought Jordon Rhodes who was scoring hatfuls, possibly 40 in my last season there.  Moved to Arsenal as they had just won the league and Wenger retired.  Well, first of all as soon as I left Celtic sold Jordon Rhodes for about £2m, he was worth more than that, and under contract.  Second, all I did at Arsenal was buy one new striker, then with the exact same team we got about 3 points from the first 8 games.  Felt like there was nothing I could do - didn't see what feedback I was getting to tell me why my team was now such utter shit.  So... no longer enjoyable.

Actually thought about it on the way back.

Probably buy it in about a fortnight.

Junglist

The patch for the Beta went live earlier, ironed out so many problems. Its smoother, quicker, the long ball over the top mentalness has been fixed (albeit goalkeepers are still hit and miss) and its shaping up to be the best version in a while. Really enjoying it.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on November 03, 2014, 08:13:57 PM

Then spent 4 four seasons in Celtic, new game, runners up in the Champions League.  Had bought Jordon Rhodes who was scoring hatfuls, possibly 40 in my last season there.  Moved to Arsenal as they had just won the league and Wenger retired.  Well, first of all as soon as I left Celtic sold Jordon Rhodes for about £2m, he was worth more than that, and under contract.  Second, all I did at Arsenal was buy one new striker, then with the exact same team we got about 3 points from the first 8 games.  Felt like there was nothing I could do - didn't see what feedback I was getting to tell me why my team was now such utter shit.  So... no longer enjoyable.

one aspect I didn't like about the newer games is that every now and again it seems to almost force it on you to change it up a bit, I guess maybe they are trying to take away the element of super tactics. In my game it just seemed like the arse fell out of my preferred tactic and I had to change to something else. anyway, I'm pretty much making family members pull together to get me a new laptop so I can get this in the new year.

another thing I hope is changed is the manager sackings, Blanc took over from ferguson in my last game and reigned over 7-8 trophyless years. that would absolutely never happen. Mourinho too never left Madrid, would be nice to see the "wants a new challenge" thing applied to certain managers.

also, every spring I go on sigames forum and in their features thread I propose the addition of testimonials. this is down to a game that spanned nearly 50 years and featured a number of youth products captaining us to multiple CL glory and finishing with some 900 appearances and then just retiring and buggering off without fanfair (though I tend to sign them up to the coaching team even if they're shite, think I have about 12 ex players working for me by the time I packed it [nb]which was -ahem- never, I still have the saved game and I still play it from time to time, we're in 2059[/nb])

Utter Shit

I might be going mad but I think there were testimonials in the last game...I'm pretty sure when I went to arrange a pre-season fixture one year, the option to hold a testimonial for one of my players was there.

EDIT: Thought so.

Utter Shit

Anyone played much of the new game yet? I'm not quite sure what I think of it.

The new layout was predictably confusing for a while but after a week or so of playing I'm pretty used to it - not convinced it's anything more than a cosmetic change to make the game seem fresher though, it doesn't feel any more intuitive and a few things aren't where you'd expect them to be.

One of my main hang-ups so far is that it *seems* to be a little too easy at the moment. Of course it's possible that I've just started well and managed to ride a wave so far, and if I started again I could have a different experience...but I'm playing with Spurs, and in protest at our real-life shitness I've been playing a lot of the kids - despite that, I'm top with 23 games of the season gone. That sort of lack of realism really drags me out of the game and makes me want to fuck it off and start again.

On the plus side, the match engine doesn't look much better at first glance but it does feel more like a real game of football, and each player feels a lot more individual in their actions on the pitch.

Will report back at the end of the season, if I end up winning the league I'll probably quit and start again.

Junglist

I've gone four seasons as Southampton, and five as Bury. The match engine has issues (goalkeepers still prone on the floor after a save letting the opposition in to bang one in/long range efforts from the AI flying in every game or two). Its easiness is akin to all the others really, if you find the right tactic, its all you need. I've taken Bury from League Two to about to win the Premier League in that short stint playing a fairly attacking 4-3-3.

One thing I will say is Tielemans is an absolute beast. Buy him.

Rolf Lundgren

That's a shame to hear it's too easy. It's been my biggest complaint over the last couple of versions. I was able to take Luton from the Conference into the Champions League by changing about 2 players each season so by the time I got to the Premier League I had around 8 non-league players in my squad.

The other thing that used to annoy me was if you took any lower league team into the Premier League, won a trophy or something then underperformed the next year and got fired then no club would touch you with a bargepole. Have they sorted that out?

Junglist

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 27, 2014, 07:13:34 PM
That's a shame to hear it's too easy. It's been my biggest complaint over the last couple of versions. I was able to take Luton from the Conference into the Champions League by changing about 2 players each season so by the time I got to the Premier League I had around 8 non-league players in my squad.

Its not so easy if you mix up tactics, but if you find one that works across all levels it becomes a cakewalk. Its always been that way though, if you add in the stalking of regen dates and buy cheap/sell expensive.

thugler

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on November 03, 2014, 08:13:57 PM
The last version fucking well destroyed any patience I have with the game.  Two month long total wastes of time.

The first attempt was getting Droylsden out of whatever cunnyflap division they begin in, which involved laboriously mapping out stats to get a basic direct ball game to a target man.  Finally got promoted and the game refused to allow you to resign players, so everyone left.  Every fucker.

Actually thought about it on the way back.

Probably buy it in about a fortnight.

With lower league management I found it wasn't worth worrying about the players stats too much as it's impossible to keep hold of them and doesn't make a massive difference at that level anyway. I could only get 17 year old useless youth players to sign for my team up until league 1 and eventually managed to get them to the premiership anyway.

Have refused to get the new one until I manage to generate a son on 14, have done everything else and getting an in game son and being really nepotistic seems like it will be fun. It takes reloading just before the youth intake once your in game manager is 35 or over. The chances are allegedly 10,000 to one.