Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirt cheap Chinese knock-off handhelds

Started by dmillburn, April 17, 2018, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Probably due to the component shortage. These handhelds normally use cheap, surplus chips that have trickled down from the big phone manufacturers.

Spiteface

Anbernic seem to be repeating themselves a bit, with the RG300X using the same chipset as the 350/m/p handhelds, only no analog sticks, and a design like an enlarged GameBoy Micro.

Rumors seem to be the next step up for Anbernic will be the RG552, not much info on it yet though:

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/06/what-we-know-about-the-anbernic-rg552/

I'm trying to see if I can get Unibios working for running Neo Geo games on my RG350M. They all run fine in FBA and I can access the Service Menu to adjust some settings, but I unearthed my GPD XD and while I don't think the battery will last long anymore, I found it had a version on Unibios on it, which means I can run games in AES/MVS modes (i.e. Home/Arcade versions - the home/AES ones have options that aren't available in Arcade/MVS modes).

Famous Mortimer

I had a quick check on Retrododo this morning and they've got details of a new Powkiddy handheld which will (allegedly) have a better processor in it, be able to emulate more consoles, etc.

https://retrododo.com/powkiddy-a20/

Looks like the RG351V, which I really like as a design.

Spiteface

Anbernic are milking the RG351 one last time as well.

https://retrododo.com/rg351mp/

Basically the 351V in a horizontal form like the 351M. So a better screen and dual card slots.

I may get this when it's out.

Spiteface

Anbernic's next handheld, the RG552, in action, running the PSP version of Tekken 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxGS1QUEZY

So it's an Android-based affair, which disappoints me slightly. If this doesn't have the sound lag that afflicts my GPD XD it might be worth a look, though.

Audio latency has much improved on Android in the past four years or so, but a lot of it is app and hardware dependent.

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/03/an-update-on-androids-audio-latency.html

Famous Mortimer

There's one called the "Odin" which is in the middle of an Indiegogo campaign, but for the prospect of saving thirty quid off the expected retail price, over it possibly never happening, I think I'll wait. A few of the retro gaming Youtube people have their hands on prototypes which can do all sorts - PS2, Gamecube, and so on. But I've been burned before.

Then there's the Retroid Pocket 3, which isn't out yet, but at least they've produced consoles in the past.

Famous Mortimer

I just discovered a rather nice new-ish Youtube channel called Retro Gaming Corps, and he's much more "here's the fun things you can do with this device" rather than moaning they don't have the new chip in yet or whatever.

He just mentioned the Odroid Go Advance, which I'd completely forgotten about, and for the size of the device / price, it looks top notch.

Pinball

Quote from: Pinball on March 06, 2021, 12:55:10 PM
This is interesting, if you want to play the fastest, latest PC games on a quality handheld. It's Indiegogo, but has met its goal already.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aya-neo-world-s-first-7nm-handheld-gaming-device--2#

AYA-NEO:World's First 7nm Handheld Gaming Device
6 cores AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics. Unmatched levels of performance.

I've now received this, and wondering what AAA PC games to install on it to give it a test. MS Flight Sim might be a bit unfair :-)

Famous Mortimer

An Indiegogo that delivered as expected! You lucky git.

Pinball

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 02, 2021, 12:20:21 PM
An Indiegogo that delivered as expected! You lucky git.
It was a risk, but the campaign was already fully funded when I ordered, and the company had successfully produced stuff previously, so I thought it was worth a punt for what is an impressive device :-)

As a starter, I'm going to setup Steam on it and install my games from there. They are claiming really quite high levels of PC performance in this handheld. We'll see... If nothing else it will warm the house during the winter days!

Famous Mortimer

Pinball, what's your initial impression of the Aya-Neo? I just checked eBay and they're going for more than a grand.

Also, I just discovered that, far from needing a perfect N64 emulator, a bunch of people have made perfectly working ports of some of the games for the dirt-cheap Chinese knockoff handheld market.

Pinball

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 07, 2021, 03:59:24 PM
Pinball, what's your initial impression of the Aya-Neo? I just checked eBay and they're going for more than a grand.
First impressions are good. It is well made, runs Windows 10 like a PC, and has a 1TB HD and touchscreen. Today I've been updating Windows, installed Steam and downloading a shedload of games from Steam. Not fully checked yet, but it seems to run fine, without getting hot or making a lot of noise. The box it came in was Apple-esque. I was trying to work out why the time was wrong, but it was due to the time zone being set as Beijing :-)

In a word- like.

Famous Mortimer

I just saw one of those "which retro gaming thing is right for you?" videos, and one of them, the Trimui Model S, looks lovely. I think it can only do up to SNES, but it's apparently not an enormous amount bigger than a credit card and is really dirt cheap (going for around $50). Just for leaving in my workbag to mess about on the Mario, Metroid and Castlevania games of that era, it'd be grand.

thugler

Anyone tried the anbernic 351mp? They look mighty nice and I'm expecting a price drop when the new one comes out very shortly. Any obvious downsides? I've been playing some old retro games on my phone lately and really enjoyed it so am very tempted to get one of these things now they seem pretty damn capable.

madhair60

I have an Anbernic RG351P which, honestly, seems like a better buy - nearly $150 for the MP seems like a lot paid extra for not much back. RG351P will play everything up to PS1 either flawlessly or flawed in the way that only a real enthusiast would notice or care.

Maybe I'm missing something about the MP?

thugler

Quote from: madhair60 on December 02, 2021, 08:50:33 PMI have an Anbernic RG351P which, honestly, seems like a better buy - nearly $150 for the MP seems like a lot paid extra for not much back. RG351P will play everything up to PS1 either flawlessly or flawed in the way that only a real enthusiast would notice or care.

Maybe I'm missing something about the MP?

Slightly bigger screen that's about it though

Spiteface

The 351P and 351M have a slightly weird resolution/aspect ratio. Apparently it's perfect for GBA games, but everything else needs tweaking. The 351V has a much more conventional screen, and this is what the MP has. So it's a mix of them all, in a way.

But then the RG552 is also upon us...

thugler

Quote from: Spiteface on December 03, 2021, 04:31:07 PMThe 351P and 351M have a slightly weird resolution/aspect ratio. Apparently it's perfect for GBA games, but everything else needs tweaking. The 351V has a much more conventional screen, and this is what the MP has. So it's a mix of them all, in a way.

But then the RG552 is also upon us...

Yeah and looks good. The price though... Thinking of maybe the powkiddy rgb10 max 2, as soon as the rg552 actually goes on the market everything else is bound to drop in price a bit. I just want to play snes mostly and maybe a bit of n64 and ps1 so I'm not fussed about anything beyond that really

thugler

Quote from: samadriel on November 30, 2020, 12:29:02 PMJust curious, does this new Abernic RG with Dreamcast emulation, emulate GameCube? Just wondering whether Skies of Arcadia Legends would be handheld-ready yet.

From what i hear, probably not well. There's other imminently released handhelds that will be able to tackle that and ps2 somewhat well. But the new anbernic as far as i understand is going to offer better psp and n64 performance and not much beyond that

Spiteface

Well I pulled the trigger and just ordered an RG552 in Droix's boxing day sale which is ending in a few hours.

Coming Wednesday (could have had it Tuesday but it's more likely someone will be in the house to receive it, whenever they may show up)

At just shy of £180, I felt like taking a chance.

Spiteface

It arrived yesterday. Haven't had much chance to sit down with and fiddle with it yet.

Found this guide, including an SD card image of the Linux side all nicely pre-configured, so I'm probably going to see what this does. Got a few spare SD cards I can try this for

Apparently the Linux side is best-suited for the PS1 and below stuff, and Android is better for later consoles.

All that remains then, is a decent case. Some Switch Lite ones appear to fit...

Spiteface

After a couple of days with the RG552, I really like it.

I will say, the roms supplied, are a bit shit in the way files are named and such.

As stated earlier, I'm going to use that preconfigured Linux image and transfer over useable ROMS from my RG350M, I have a 128gb Samsung card I can make use of.

I like that it seems to have some of those .emu apps preinstalled on the Android side. NEO.EMU in particular, lets me switch between regions and AES/MVS modes vi Unibios which is something I was missing, having to use FBA in the past. This means blood in Metal Slug and bouncy Mai tits in KOF. The essential things, really.

thugler

Got the rgb10 max 2 in the end. Delighted with it, it's lightweight and feels pretty good in the hands. Enjoying delving into all the playstation stuff I never played, and some of the ports are amazing, mario 64 runs in 60fps and widescreen and looks fantastic. Cost me about 80 quid with a big discount. The tinkering to make it run how you want is a little annoying but have gotten it all working properly within a couple of days.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on January 08, 2022, 02:27:10 PMAfter a couple of days with the RG552, I really like it.

I will say, the roms supplied, are a bit shit in the way files are named and such.

As stated earlier, I'm going to use that preconfigured Linux image and transfer over useable ROMS from my RG350M, I have a 128gb Samsung card I can make use of.

I like that it seems to have some of those .emu apps preinstalled on the Android side. NEO.EMU in particular, lets me switch between regions and AES/MVS modes vi Unibios which is something I was missing, having to use FBA in the past. This means blood in Metal Slug and bouncy Mai tits in KOF. The essential things, really.

Road-testing it via work commutes & lunch breaks. Currently using Retroarch for Neo Geo/arcade stuff, as this lets me use Unibios and some games didn't work in NEO.EMU or the Linux side. So the FBNeo core is working just fine on those. Might try various cores for the different formats, although Dreamcast in Retroarch was a bit crap, so Redream (aready on the device) is my choice there, haven't signed into the Play store on it yet, might try another app.

Also piqued the interest of a work colleague, who was impressed it ran Tekken 3 and asked me if it would run Jonah Lomu Rugby for PS1.

Pinball

An aside, but I've been very impressed with PS1 games on my PS Vita (OLED screen). Playing Battle Arena Toshinden and Destruction Derby brought back some memories :-)

peanutbutter

Vita plays PS1 at double speed fairly well too, I got through a massive chunk of FF7 on a whim there a few days ago. Think the combo is L + Select in Adrenaline

Pinball

Your brain must process at twice the speed of mine :-) 

1x is fine for me!

Sonny_Jim

I've got a mate who lives in a foreign country and we're trying to work out the 'best' option for us to play multiplayer games on things like NES, SNES, Megadrive.  Right now I'm leaning toward a RG351V (the one that's shaped a bit like a Gameboy).  I've seen Jeff Minter on Twitter enjoying his, so I'm wondering if anyone here has one.  Was thinking about a RG552 but it seems a bit pricey for what it is and was hoping for something a bit smaller.

Oh and the Miyoo Mini V2 is very nice, but unfortunately no wifi: