Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mega Drive Mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by madhair60, April 01, 2019, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

It's a very small Mega Drive!!! And it has all Mega Drive games on it!!!!!!!

Now, these games have generally been fairly easy to come by on the re-release front, but HANG ON A SEC, it's got Castlevania: Bloodlines in its first re-release ever! And FUCK MY BACKCHOPS it's got Earthworm Jim!

ALSO Sonic, Comix Zone, yada yada.

the

The next lot of games just been announced today:

Cloud

Hm, wonder how it'll compare to the Atgames crap...

madhair60

Quote from: Cloud on April 01, 2019, 02:36:27 PM

M2 is handling the emulation

popcorn

Yawn.... wake me up when Saturn Mini is announced, normies .............

St_Eddie

Oh yippie, yet another re-release of the same old Megadrive games (and a couple of newbies).  40 titles;  far less than the number of roms that Sega could include, nay should include, for a whopping £100 or so.  This thread's title is completely unworthy of thirteen exclamation marks.

Also, unless Sega have managed to get EA involved and games such as Road Rash II and Jungle Strike are included, then this is an instant write off.  Also see Disney with Aladdin.  No Megadrive collection is complete without those classics.

Quote from: Cloud on April 01, 2019, 02:36:27 PM

It's be night and day in terms of emulation and game selection, I should imagine.

Quote from: popcorn on April 01, 2019, 04:41:56 PM
Yawn.... wake me up when Saturn Mini is announced...

Damn straight.  I'm not sure that it'll ever happen, as the Saturn is notoriously difficult to emulate but that's preciously why I'd be all over a Saturn Mini, were Sega to ever release one.

PlanktonSideburns

Not having a go just curious : what's the motivation behind getting this over running roms on a computer? Are you just good people? The 16bit stuff seems to run real well on said

PlanktonSideburns

Also wats that game with Hitler all upons the cover

St_Eddie

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 01, 2019, 05:37:23 PM
Not having a go just curious : what's the motivation behind getting this over running roms on a computer? Are you just good people? The 16bit stuff seems to run real well on said

Indeed.  Even my toaster can run Megadrive games flawlessly.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 01, 2019, 05:38:27 PM
Also wats that game with Hitler all upons the cover

Advanced Daisenryaku.

Twed

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 01, 2019, 05:37:23 PM
Not having a go just curious : what's the motivation behind getting this over running roms on a computer?
I'm going to wager that it's mainly "can't be arsed to set things up" and wanting to plug something into the TV easily.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on April 01, 2019, 05:42:49 PM
I'm going to wager that it's mainly "can't be arsed to set things up" and wanting to plug something into the TV easily.

See, I get that but £100+ of "can't be arsed" is where the logic behind it fails me.  The consumer base I 100% completely understand this appealing to are the people who have no concept of what emulation is or how to do it themselves.  I can't fathom anyone with the technical knowhow wanting to waste their money on this, unless they're rich.  Still people do and it's not really my place to judge.  Each to their own, I guess.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 01, 2019, 05:47:41 PM
See, I get that but £100+ of "can't be arsed" is where the logic behind it fails me.  The consumer base I 100% completely understand this appealing to are the people who have no concept of what emulation is or how to do it themselves.  I can't fathom anyone with the technical knowhow wanting to waste their money on this, unless they're rich.  Still people do and it's not really my place to judge.  Each to their own, I guess.

I have the technical know-how, but a raspberry pi 3, plus sd card, plus two decent USB game controllers is going to be up around $100, plus the time to set it up, to get the roms, to make sure everything is running ok, ongoing maintenance, plus having a ugly bunch of wires around the TV... although to be fair, I wouldn't be arsed buying the Mini Megadrive either. Retro gaming is for suckas.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 01, 2019, 06:39:27 PM
I have the technical know-how, but a raspberry pi 3, plus sd card, plus two decent USB game controllers is going to be up around $100, plus the time to set it up, to get the roms, to make sure everything is running ok, ongoing maintenance, plus having a ugly bunch of wires around the TV...

Fair points, I suppose.  Still, if someone did go the Raspberry Pi route, then they'd be able to emulate multiple systems and effectively have access to an infinite number of games.  There's going to be a lot more wires and a lot less games if someone buys a mini version of every console.

Cloud

I have a PS Classic (which I modded to run any game including Megadrive ones), it was actually bought for me and I doubt I'd have bought one at full price otherwise so there's the "good present for nerds" factor. I'd probably  have bought one when the prices plummeted though - it's a neat little package.  Tech geekery and nostalgia, basically - there's no real utilitarian argument when an emulator on the PC or Mac will do the job without having to "hack" against the manufacturer's wishes, or a Pi3 etc.

Jerzy Bondov

I got my sister a Pi 3, a brilliant little case that looks just like a mini Mega Drive, and some USB replica MD joypads. Not only could I put all the games we used to play when we were little on there, I also got it to run Atari ST games. It's amazing and I wish I'd kept it. But it was a lot of work getting it all to run flawlessly and I still find myself quite tempted by an official version. Sega Saturn Mini however would be a day one purchase.

madhair60

Miserable bunch of cunts. Errrrr where's the Saturn Mini?? Nobody's impressed.

madhair60

Errrrrr I don't like the good one, I like the Sega fucking Pico mate, it's gripped, sorted, let's fucking off-road. Ooh, can't wait for the Supergrafx Mini. Go and post on a copy of Edge circa Steve Jarratt you fucking posers.

madhair60

Errrrrr where's the Amstrad GX4000 Mini? Underrated mate. Underrated that. Piss off. Jesus.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on April 01, 2019, 08:10:49 PM
Miserable bunch of cunts. Errrrr where's the Saturn Mini?? Nobody's impressed.

It's on point though because as I previously said, it's a notoriously difficult console to emulate.  I had a go last year on my PC and whilst I was able to get Sega Rally running, the sound was completely fucked (and as with most games, the sound of that game is half the experience).  I never owned a Saturn but there's loads of games from that console that I'd love to play (with the Holy Grail being Panzer Dragoon Saga).

I'm not trying to impress anybody by saying that I'd love to see a Saturn Mini (I'm not even sure how you think that would be an attempt to impress somebody - "I'm aware of the existence of a famous videogame console... um, yeah.  Go me!").  I'm being genuine because for the foreseeable future, it would be the only way to experience a whole bunch of games that I want to play, without using eBay to shell out a small fortune for an actual console and some very rare games.

Sebastian Cobb

I've still got my megadrive so probably can't be fucked with this tbh.

Cloud

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on April 01, 2019, 08:11:54 PM
Errrrrr I don't like the good one, I like the Sega fucking Pico mate, it's gripped, sorted, let's fucking off-road. Ooh, can't wait for the Supergrafx Mini. Go and post on a copy of Edge circa Steve Jarratt you fucking posers.
You're the poser mate. Ohh I want to play good enjoyable games on a classic console. You've got some growing up to do. I'll be waiting with copies of Clockwork Knight 2 and Mr. Bones when you're ready for some real games.

Replies From View

I have an emulator and an "internet" that allows me to download roms for free.

Only problem:  almost all computer games are so fucking boring that you just stop after a couple of screens.  So of course you shouldn't pay for this stuff.

PlanktonSideburns

Raspberry pi? How but

USB game pad // laptop with megadrive emulator // hdmi lead // telly

Surely that's the same amount of suff as this megadrive mini? Most people would only have to buy a lead? I'm not being a miserable cunt, just why people gotta buy a load of new crap? You're a five pound USB controller and a cable away from every 8 and sixteen bit console running flawlessly with most all of the games everyway and you gotta wait for Sega to hand out its thin gruel to you? Seems crazy to me

Replies From View

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 01, 2019, 09:45:35 PM
Raspberry pi? How but

USB game pad // laptop with megadrive emulator // hdmi lead // telly

Surely that's the same amount of suff as this megadrive mini? Most people would only have to buy a lead? I'm not being a miserable cunt, just why people gotta buy a load of new crap? You're a five pound USB controller and a cable away from every 8 and sixteen bit console running flawlessly with most all of the games everyway and you gotta wait for Sega to hand out its thin gruel to you? Seems crazy to me

I bought second-hand SNES and Megadrive controllers on eBay very cheaply, and the short adapters that were needed to convert them to USB so they'd plug into my computer.

Then a great emulator called OpenEmu which covers most classic consoles/handhelds, and lets you access the various games for each system using nice cover-art menus.

Done.

Every now and then I open it up, plod around on Kirby's Anus Adventure, remember I don't like computer games, and close it down again.

Honestly, all of the fun you can get from computer games you can just get from watching a few minutes of a Let's Play on youtube.  There's no need to spend any money at all.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
I bought second-hand SNES and Megadrive controllers on eBay very cheaply, and the short adapters that were needed to convert them to USB so they'd plug into my computer.

Then a great emulator called OpenEmu which covers most classic consoles/handhelds, and lets you access the various games for each system using nice cover-art menus.

Done.

Every now and then I open it up, plod around on Kirby's Anus Adventure, remember I don't like computer games, and close it down again.

Honestly, all of the fun you can get from computer games you can just get from watching a few minutes of a Let's Play on youtube.  There's no need to spend any money at all.

Agree hard with this

madhair60

Fuck off out of the thread then

(Aggressive thumb motion)

GET TO FUCK

St_Eddie

Alright, 'fess up, which one of you forgot to give the pooch his rabies shot?

madhair60

HMMM yes (takes drag on pipe) this CANINE seems to have been let off the LEAD HMM ISN'T THAT RIGHT FELLOW PATRICIANS ho ho (cums hard in a Sega Saturn)

Sega have been a lot more generous than Nintendo with giving their classic games away for free in the Samsung app store. I already have Sonic, Sonic 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2 etc on my smartphone. The official Sega versions. Simple to cast to the TV and the only difference is the lack of an actual Mega Drive joypad. That's not a problem with the Sonics, as A, B and C all do the same thing.