Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2022, 07:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Mega Drive Mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by madhair60, April 01, 2019, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: samadriel on April 03, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
You idiot, the tallest console was the Nintendo 64, which, ironically, was 62 feet tall.
You've made a common but understandable mistake there. The name wasn't a reference to the console's prodigious height, but to the fact it was Nintendo's 64th games system. The first 52 dating back to the company's origins as a playing card manufacturer.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 03, 2019, 08:26:37 PM
Isn't the megadrive the console with the most number of models, variations and spin offs? Also the one you can make tallest via addons.


Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 03, 2019, 08:45:11 PM
You've made a common but understandable mistake there. The name wasn't a reference to the console's prodigious height, but to the fact it was Nintendo's 64th games system. The first 52 dating back to the company's origins as a playing card manufacturer.

No, you dolt.  It's because it has 64 bits of broken glass within its casing.  That's why it rattles when you shake it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Next you'll be telling me that the Super NES is the heroic alter ego of mild mannered games console NES.
You jive turkey.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on April 01, 2019, 02:45:27 PM
M2 is handling the emulation

Which is good news, any who has played the 3DS ports and played the console ports knows the deal.

Jerzy Bondov

If this fucking thing doesn't support Sega Channel it can fuck off

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 03, 2019, 08:00:58 PM
No No No No No, the Wondermega trumps it easily..



I can't lie, the moment I saw one of those in Sega Pro magazine, I was begging my mum for one. The good news (for her) is that it never released outside of Japan.

The design has held up pretty well, but I've never been a fan of the power and reset buttons and the moulding around them. They remind me of something you'd get on one of those obscure mid-90's Bandai or Tomy consoles that had like 5 FMV anime schoolgirl games released on it before being discontinued.

Sebastian Cobb

Sod the Wondermega, all about the Pioneer Laseractive, two failed optical formats in one!



One argument for emulators over this megadrive mini (or indeed an actual megadrive) is you can easily (and without paying a fortune because it's pretty rare) play one of the only Sega CD games worth playing - Snatcher.

samadriel

This is why the kids who said "My dad works for Sega and he has the new HYPER DRIVE that has Sonic 10 on it, but I can't take it out of the attic" etc were treated with ever-so-slightly less suspicion in Australia, 'cos we were geographically so close to the Tiger economies that it was possible someone's dad could have picked up a Wondermega or some knockoff piratey SNES device on a business trip.  Yes, the year was 1992, when the NeoGeo was the stuff of a madman's dream.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: samadriel on April 04, 2019, 11:52:15 AM
This is why the kids who said "My dad works for Sega and he has the new HYPER DRIVE that has Sonic 10 on it, but I can't take it out of the attic" etc were treated with ever-so-slightly less suspicion in Australia, 'cos we were geographically so close to the Tiger economies that it was possible someone's dad could have picked up a Wondermega or some knockoff piratey SNES device on a business trip.  Yes, the year was 1992, when the NeoGeo was the stuff of a madman's dream.

The Sega 'chinny reckon' console that never actually materialised was the Sega VR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN_pN9ZU8Y

Basically an oculus rift type job in 1993 for the megadrive (later Saturn) all while they were bankrupting themselves by making your Sega CD's and 32X's.

Replies From View

Do you reckon they will ever make a console that has more than 64 bits?

I personally doubt it, as I have seen screenshots of Mario 64.  Unless they somehow make reality itself more hi-fidelity I don't know what more they could do to a computer game.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2019, 12:22:19 PM
Do you reckon they will ever make a console that has more than 64 bits?

I personally doubt it, as I have seen screenshots of Mario 64.  Unless they somehow make reality itself more hi-fidelity I don't know what more they could do to a computer game.

They will use all the extra power to give his hat eyes.

the

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2019, 11:02:41 AMone of the only Sega CD games worth playing - Snatcher

Along with all the other ones worth playing like Silpheed, Sonic CD, Final Fight CD, Keio Flying Squadron, Soulstar, Thunderhawk, Batman Returns, Robo Aleste...

If you do have actual Mega CD games, you can play them on Kega Fusion by putting them in your PC's CD drive, which I was amazed by. Works really well too.

Quote from: samadriel on April 04, 2019, 11:52:15 AMThis is why the kids who said "My dad works for Sega and he has the new HYPER DRIVE that has Sonic 10 on it, but I can't take it out of the attic" etc were treated with ever-so-slightly less suspicion in Australia, 'cos we were geographically so close to the Tiger economies that it was possible someone's dad could have picked up a Wondermega or some knockoff piratey SNES device on a business trip.  Yes, the year was 1992, when the NeoGeo was the stuff of a madman's dream.

The Neo-Geo came out in 1990.

I had a Sega Gigadrive which I got off my cousin in Cyprus yeah

     

samadriel

Quote from: the on April 04, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
The Neo-Geo came out in 1990.
I know, I just meant the price tag rendered it the stuff of a madman's etc.

Replies From View

Super Mario Kart is short for Super Mario Kartridge because the game is presented to you on a Kartridge, true or false.

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2019, 12:54:53 PM
Super Mario Kart is short for Super Mario Kartridge because the game is presented to you on a Kartridge, true or false.

false, it's a reference to go-karts which are in the game.

biggytitbo

Quote from: the on April 04, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
Along with all the other ones worth playing like Silpheed, Sonic CD, Final Fight CD, Keio Flying Squadron, Soulstar, Thunderhawk, Batman Returns, Robo Aleste...

If you do have actual Mega CD games, you can play them on Kega Fusion by putting them in your PC's CD drive, which I was amazed by.


I'd be more amazed if I had a computer with a CD drive.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2019, 11:02:41 AM
Sod the Wondermega, all about the Pioneer Laseractive, two failed optical formats in one!



One argument for emulators over this megadrive mini (or indeed an actual megadrive) is you can easily (and without paying a fortune because it's pretty rare) play one of the only Sega CD games worth playing - Snatcher.

That was an interesting system, the ability to play Mega Drive games was because of a separate add-on you could buy which is shown in your image above. Check out this one with the PC Engine add-on too, I would love to own one of these.



I quite like the loook of the JVC X'Eye too.



Plus what about this absolute oddity, an Amstrad built PC with Mega Drive all in one, the Amstrad MEGA PC.



and finally the AIWA Mega-CD, a cassette and CD player with Mega Drive built in, fantastic.


Mr_Simnock

Forgot about the Terra Drive whicch I also really like.


Sebastian Cobb

The real beauty in that terradrive is what appears to be a Sega Branded IBM Model-M keyboard variation.

Chollis

They don't make em like these anymore do they

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2019, 12:54:53 PM
Super Mario Kart is short for Super Mario Kartridge because the game is presented to you on a Kartridge, true or false.

False, it came on a Game Pak™.

Jerzy Bondov

My uncle has a Sega Neptune but you can't see it because he's taken it with him to NASA

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2019, 02:16:06 PM
The real beauty in that terradrive is what appears to be a Sega Branded IBM Model-M keyboard variation.
Sorry to be a cut-rate buzby on this one, but that keyboard has ALPS switches. It's not a buckling spring keyboard like the Model M.

Is it beautiful? Yes. And I speak from authority, as this is my main keyboard:


Dex Sawash

Is the megadrive the one marketed in america as the Sega Philcollins?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on April 04, 2019, 04:14:53 PM
Sorry to be a cut-rate buzby on this one, but that keyboard has ALPS switches. It's not a buckling spring keyboard like the Model M.

Is it beautiful? Yes. And I speak from authority, as this is my main keyboard:



No number pad, WNB.

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 04, 2019, 02:49:53 PM
False, it came on a Game Pak™.

Alright then clever clogs it is called Super Mario Pak because it came on a Game Pak.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's actually because it was made of pak choi.

popcorn

Sonic CD is called Sonic CD because it came on a CD.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It spunked on a CD? The dirty bastard.

Replies From View

Alex Kidd is called Alex Kidd because it came on a kid.