Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 28, 2021, 05:42:24 PMYeah but it's not switched on by default, or at least I had to enable mine, was what I meant. Seems like a fundamental feature to me.
Def the kind of thing I can see people refunding their headsets thinking they're defective due to though. What it needs is some clearer way of explaining the option to people so they don't miss it.

Cold Meat Platter

Bastards. The Quest 2 is now a further 50 squids off in the 'cyber monday' sale. So effectively it's £200 with the cashback offers that are happening. That's a huge bargain.

Yet again I have been made to look a fool by the capitalist pig-dogs.

AsparagusTrevor

All the people who have bought new Quests, can we do the referral thing? Is that possible? Not really sure how it works.

dmillburn

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 29, 2021, 05:55:57 PMAll the people who have bought new Quests, can we do the referral thing? Is that possible? Not really sure how it works.

It's a bit of a pain as you have to be Facebook friends as it's sent via messenger. The recipient clicks on the link sent and gets £23 as soon as they activate the headset, the sender gets it 30 days later. Limit of 5 referrals every 30 days.

Cold Meat Platter

Listen folks. I don't even like Resident Evil Games, I think they're cheesy pish.
Resident Evil 4 on Quest 2 is one of the best games I've ever played.

madhair60

Just spaffed my cex credit on a Quest 2

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: madhair60 on November 30, 2021, 08:46:31 AMJust spaffed my cex credit on a Quest 2

I'm facebook mates with you. I'll send you a referral link if you haven't set it up yet.

EDIT actually...does the recipient have to buy the headset using that link? Seems like that's what its saying

madhair60

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 30, 2021, 03:02:42 PMI'm facebook mates with you. I'll send you a referral link if you haven't set it up yet.

Cheers. I haven't got it yet, but when I do I'll check

Cloud

My original strap broke and the "halo" type I bought was godawful (kept sliding offwards along the Oculus "ears", the ratchet mechanism was made of cheap plastic and started to wear after a few hours use etc) so I spaffed out on the Elite one when they were about £15 off week or two ago.  Aware they break but they seem to cover them fine warranty-wise.

Downside though is you do need that passthrough as a more rigid strap means you can't just lift the headset up slightly when you want to see where your beer's at.  Which I wouldn't mind but it cuts off the audio from the game so I'm sort of "whisked out of vrchat" whenever I want to take a drink.

Brundle-Fly

Does anybody feel adverse side effects after long game playing session? I find my arms don't feel like they belong to me, especially if Im looking at my phone. I had to stop playing Rez 4 the other night because I really felt the motion sickness encroaching.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 30, 2021, 06:32:33 PMDoes anybody feel adverse side effects after long game playing session? I find my arms don't feel like they belong to me, especially if Im looking at my phone. I had to stop playing Rez 4 the other night because I really felt the motion sickness encroaching.

When I just started using it I felt like my feet were really far away when I was walking about afterwards.
Playing resi 4 in full smooth movement and no nausea, which is nice.

I love my magic hat.

bgmnts

Any Leisure Suit Larry games for this yet?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: bgmnts on December 04, 2021, 11:55:12 PMAny Leisure Suit Larry games for this yet?

No LSL, but there's a Sam & Max one

madhair60

oh my fuck Quest 2 is good.

Ferris

Its fucking quality. Anyone who's had a go on mine has ended up getting one within a year.

VR is such a tangibly good and cool thing that anyone can appreciate it for the tech marvel it is - forget worrying about gaming framerates or mega RAMdrives per CPU; put on these magic goggles and go for a dance with a robot.

The fact it comes with literal actual games is the icing on the cake.

madhair60

I can't actually believe how good it is. Even my family likes it and they hate everything.

I'm playing even older VR games like Arkham VR and it's blowing my mind. The clarity, the ease of use.

dmillburn

It's definitely the best purchase I've made in a long time. I've not bought anything game related since the N64 nearly 25 years ago (apart from a couple of games on my daughter's PS4 but I soon lost interest) but the Quest is amazing, just instant fucking brilliant fun with a great library of games. I got mine when it was reduced the other week (£249 plus I got a Amazon £50 voucher chucked in) but even at full whack it seems ridiculously cheap for what you get.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: madhair60 on December 09, 2021, 12:37:35 AMoh my fuck Quest 2 is good.

Isn't it!?! I'm grinning from ear to ear every time I put those goggles on. Playing Beat Sabre has made me feel twenty years younger, and I don't mind saying, rather sassy.

Cold Meat Platter

Sniper Elite VR is a good laugh. Bollock popping in 3d.

Ferris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 14, 2021, 01:41:11 AMSniper Elite VR is a good laugh. Bollock popping in 3d.

I'm absolutely dog dirt at it though, can't get past the clock tower. Pathetic.

Cold Meat Platter

Blade and Sorcery: Nomad is clearly an early access game but by fuck is the combat good. You can stick your sword through someone's face and they'll stay there til you slide them off. It has the 'Dark Messiah of Might and Magic' kick as well. A bit of jank and framedrop but the developers seem to be supporting it and a 'quest' mode is incoming next year.

Brundle-Fly

Accidentally punched the wall hard during a rigorous bout of Superhot the other night. I thought I was actually facing the complete opposite direction for about ten minutes.

pk1yen

Hoping to get a Quest 2 early next year, very much looking forward to it.

Is it possible to *ahem* sideload apps and games on these?

dmillburn

Quote from: pk1yen on December 14, 2021, 12:12:43 PMIs it possible to *ahem* sideload apps and games on these?

Yeah, dead easy - see TheGingerAlien's post a couple of page back. However bear in mind there's a fairly small amount of titles that won't work, and then with the ones that do not all of them will work in multiplayer.

Cold Meat Platter

Any recommendations for a cheaper USB 3 cable for connecting the Quest 2 to a PC?
Got airlink going but getting a bit of lag.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 17, 2021, 05:53:55 AMAny recommendations for a cheaper USB 3 cable for connecting the Quest 2 to a PC?
Got airlink going but getting a bit of lag.
I got this one as a wired-backup for when my internet isn't behaving or my battery is low. Seems to do the job, although I've not used it a huge amount.

I'm sure you know all this, but using Air Link your PC needs to be connected via ethernet not wi-fi, and make sure there's nothing using the internet at the time, i.e. check Steam isn't downloading in the background or anything like that, or someone in the house using Netflix etc. Also, some people get better results using Virtual Desktop rather than Air Link.

Cold Meat Platter

Anyone fancy a game of walkabout mini golf or golf+ on the quest or a co-op zero caliber shooty bang adventure?
Also got Warplanes WW1 which is a larf. Currently downloading Pavlov Shack.

Pinball

I've tried a few VR systems now, and Quest 2 is the best IMO. Copying over a load of SBS 3D movies into Quest memory was the clincher. And a great price, with many great games not requiring a PC. Wireless loveliness (vs HP's effort).

Vive Flow is a nice, light form factor, but it is underpowered, over-priced and has no games. Sub-Oculus Go basically. Also, good luck finding a phone that works with it- iPhone isn't compatible. That was the most disappointing system IMO. Also, it doesn't have a controller and uses the phone as one. Lousy.

Goovis Lite for 3D movies is great, but fiddly connectivity, and not VR of course.

Overall, the fact that Quest 2 isn't too locked-down in an ecosystem makes it very interesting. Annoying it doesn't have a USB stick/disk connection, but buy the largest memory version and it's ok.

Ferris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 19, 2021, 02:50:17 AMAnyone fancy a game of walkabout mini golf or golf+ on the quest or a co-op zero caliber shooty bang adventure?

Would have been up for this but only just saw it.

I'll be around midweek depending on how Xmas prep is going.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 19, 2021, 02:50:17 AMAnyone fancy a game of walkabout mini golf or golf+ on the quest or a co-op zero caliber shooty bang adventure?

I'm up for walkabout if you get a time sorted.  What I lack in skills, I make up for in terrible internet connection.